Design You Can't Take It With You

We happen to have two licensed pyros on staff (maybe three if the theatre even decides to pay for the rest of the training I need), so wehen we did the show we had Pyro effects. HOWEVER, we actually only used the pyro to produce realistic smoke and do the small "flash-in-a-pan" effect.

For the big effect of the mishap in the basement, we generated the smoke, and then had a sound effects track with explosions/commotion. We had rigged the basement door to be "blown" off it's hinges (it really just fell off). After the door fell off, the smoke drifted in and the actors came in all dirty. This effect could have totally been done with theatrical fog, we just made the choice to use pyro because we have the propper staff for it, and the effect looks a little more realistic.

Ironically, you may actually get a more "realistic" sound from a SFX track or SFX props (as mentions earlier) than from theatre pyro. Most theatre Pyro does not sound like outdoor fireworks.

I have done this show twice. The first time we had a licensed pyro tech, and it was EXPENSIVE. And to be honest... Disappointing.

The second time we used smoke and mirrors and it actually worked much better. A VERY loud sound effect, a couple of scanners, some soot, and LOTS of haze and it was much more convincing. We cheated a bit though and on the second effect had him throw his new creation into the basement (where we had the setup for the first effect).

Any ideas for the red flame at the end of act 1 "Paul touches a match to the powder and a red fire blazes, we were thinking of flash powder and flash paper but flames way to fast that no one would see it.

Any ideas for the red flame at the end of act 1 "Paul touches a match to the powder and a red fire blazes, we were thinking of flash powder and flash paper but flames way to fast that no one would see it.

CO2 Jet with a red PAR.

Seriously? Are you still trying to burn down your theater? At this point, you shouldn't even have considered flash paper. Did you read any of the replies in this thread? :wall:

You're in theater. This means you should be creating illusions by using your imagination and creativity. It's up to you to make the audience believe they're someplace else, not set them on fire. Use the tools you have available such as scenery, lights, and special effects to make them believe what you want them to believe. Anyone can light a fire in a pot, but it takes talent to make a prop that will create the illusion.

I'm not sure if a rant was necessary here, but I sure do feel better. :dance:

The community theatre production I was involved in just used one of those cheapie Halloween cauldrons. Like the ones at Spenser Gifts or Party City with the silk "flame" and red/blue/orange MR-11 lamps. We weren't fooling anyone, but given the short effect, it was fine. The whole show is kind of slapstick, IIRC.

The community theatre production I was involved in just used one of those cheapie Halloween cauldrons. Like the ones at Spenser Gifts or Party City with the silk "flame" and red/blue/orange MR-11 lamps. We weren't fooling anyone, but given the short effect, it was fine. The whole show is kind of slapstick, IIRC.

If you play up the slapstick shtick then you can probably get away with a fan and some red ribbons...

Even the use of simple, readily available at any joke/magic shop, flash paper requires a licensed pyro when used in theatre.

Even the use of simple, readily available at any joke/magic shop, flash paper requires a licensed pyro when used in theatre.

Plus I think the CO2 Cannon is really what is wanted in terms of the look anyhow. A big red jet of smoke, especially with a match being touched to it, says "intense exothermic oxidation reaction" to pretty much everyone. Plus, if you have a concession stand with a fountain at it, you already have a CO2 supplier, and the stuff is inert and often piped around buildings anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back