Almost, Maine Lighting Advice (And NO it's not about the Aurora Borealis)

nagates

I know there have been about a dozen post regarding the Aurora Borealis effect for "Almost, Maine", however rest assured my questions has little do with what. (as I using a projector)

I am working in a older historical building, that really doesn't have much for lights, (working on changing that). My questions on what to use for gel colors, and overall suggestions. I want it to have the magical, twilight, winter -ish, cold feel.

there is only 1 scene I think of where I really want the lights to have a warmer feel to them. And that's the bar scene with Jimmy.

Here is what I have to work with.

8 S4s (575w) with (mounted in the balcony, 20ish foot through distance)
  • 6-19degree
  • 8-26 degree (this covers alsmost half the stage stage width(x), and about half it's height (z))
  • 2 - 36 defree (about 2/3 of the stage)
7 Fresnesl haning above the down stage thrust
5 older chauvet led pars
6 par 64 further up stage, in groups of 2.

I have 6 more old Altman ellipsoidal I could hook up.

Currently what I am trying, is 3 zones, 6 s4 with 26s degree lens for cool and warms. The (3) warms have a light blue, and the (3) cools have a dark blue, when both are on at all full intensity it looks about white ish. These are coming from bar in the balcony.

I have 2 of the par 64s with Blue pointed at the back wall (which is painted white to work like a cyc). I then took 2 more and pointed them towards the bottom of the back wall with orange, to give a setting sun feel (kinda works)

I have 3 fresnesl with blue, and and 4 with a dark orange (these I think are too orange), this is to help warm up the bar scene. I am wondering if these should just be all blue, too wash out the stage. The problem is my source 4s are soo much brighter that they cut through everything.

Any suggestions?

The only suggestion that I would have is to keep in mind that you're going to probably want some sort of warmth on the actors at various parts of the show. I don't think that 4 orange, as you say, fresnels are going to give subtle warmth to the stage. Instead, why don't you use 3 of those Altman ERS's gel'd in a warmer color, and add them to each zone. That way, you'd be able to give a more "pinky", if you will, warmth to the actor's faces in that particular scene. You also might find uses for it in other parts of the show. I do like the idea of 2 different hues of cool light - I have used that in the past successfully, looks great. You'll have 3 fixtures of front light per zone, and you'll be able to blend color very nicely.

I take it that you are using the fresnels as part of the zones? You should probably have one cool and one light pink for each section (R-333 looks great as a warmer down light) and scrap that 7th one.

Why don't you use the led pars for the "cyc"? That way you could control the color of the cyc, and you could use those 6 pars as side light for each zone, two for each zone, shooting from both sides of the stage, gel'd in a neutral cool color.
But if you're going to use those Par 64's on the back wall, I'd take those other 2 pars and focus them no the back wall with no color, in order to wash out the color from the other pars, this allows you to control the saturation of the color.

First of THANKS for replying.

I have been considering hooking up the old Altmans, and I just might, I am sometimes reluctant, because they are basically a 36 degree , and much much dimmer, so using them to add a little warm color might be good. I can't decide if I should swap out my S4s dark blues, for more of a dark purple?. My S4s light blues are fairly light, almost no color (wonder if I should go a little darker on this one?).

I haven't worked the Fresnel into scenes yet, was unsure of what colors to use. I'll have to see if I have R-333 or something close to it. (gels are a bit limited) I've thought about making them all a hue of blue/purple just to wash the stage floor. Our stage floor is a light gray, so it actually takes color fairly well.

I have thought about using the LEDs Pars for the Cyc, I've avoided it because, they are not easily accessible, a lot of climbing up unsafe ladders, might have to bite the bullet though. They also really aren't very good LED pars, their color range is limited, and intensity is limited as well.

I have thought about using the LEDs Pars for the Cyc, I've avoided it because, they are not easily accessible, a lot of climbing up unsafe ladders, might have to bite the bullet though. They also really aren't very good LED pars, their color range is limited, and intensity is limited as well.

Yeah, I see why that might be an issue. Your original design will work fine, with those par 64's.

I can't decide if I should swap out my S4s dark blues, for more of a dark purple?. My S4s light blues are fairly light, almost no color (wonder if I should go a little darker on this one?)

I think purple will definitely help with that magical, twilight look that you're going for. I would do as you mentioned above, in slightly darkening that lighter blue, and making the darker one more purple. (I often dream about using a triple hung system, I think it'll look awesome)

As to the fresnels, you can certainly use them all as a wash, especially if your stage easily takes color.
You can always hang extra lights, it doesn't mean that you have to use them.

Just remember with color: It's the cheapest and easiest thing to change. You can experiment if funds/inventory allows.

Don't climb up unsafe ladders! Perhaps climb up safe ladders that you are a little nervous about if you are sure that your fear is irrational. No light design is worth risking life safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back