Conventional Fixtures Altman 1KL6 parts

Lamp sockets are easy enough to replace. I'll send you the PDF of the shutters. On the other hand since only two fixtures, perhaps without shutters but with print out of what needs to be made it might be best offered as a say Question of the Day prize. Think up something really good. Figure without shutters they are only worth like $30.00 each anyway for resale and making the shutters will be about that alone in cost. After that they would be worth in the say $50 to $90.00 range at best but still not really make or break a budget.

Obviously since you are a responsible person you would be liable for the electrical wiring so replace the lamp sockets that are toast so as not to be responsible for someone else doing that. Or remove them perhaps at least. Don't know as sockets are like $15.00 each and perhaps not worth replacing if giving away as I would recommend.

I hear ya. Really good idea by the way. Since they came to me for free, investing a little money in them would not be such a problem. Not as much as say, if I had bought them on eBay but later decided I didn't want them. I'll look deeper into the problem and see if it really is the lamp bases.

It is likely though. I was thinking, since the 1kl has been discontinued since about 1998, even the newest batch is around ten years old. With the average lamp base having a life expectancy of around 10-12 years, just about every 1kl in the world either has had it's lamp base replaced, is needing it, or will need it soon (assuming it is used on a frequent basis as something other than a door stop or boat anchor).

Got my own stash of them I'm yet to work on - totally rusted solid. Came out of a club some time in the past with cigarette and fog goo and got stored in a leaky storage trailer to add rust to them to boot. My carrot on a stick of stuff to work on once it gets really really slow and I get a few other past projects done first. Sorry, but I'm saving the even new parts for them for my own use on these fixtures.

Won't take much time to replace the sockets, off line I'll even look into sending/selling you some slightly used ones that are in like new good condition for large below cost discount in price so you are not stuck buying new ones and its more economical yet. Could be than worth it as long as say the winner pays shipping or that's the only expense in write off in cost of doing so. Boat anchors will cost a bit to ship. Yep boat anchors but to someone that has nothing still decent enough light fixtures to throw directed light on the subject. This even without the shutters. Once had a bunch of Colortran Mini-Ellipses without shutters. Theater I was at had them for years and never thought of doing shutters for them. Amazing how much useful even with their green lenses the fixtures were once they had fraiming shutters - this given even worse instruments than a 1KAL and a fixture not designed for theater use but way out there in the industry.

I know this is a very old thread, but a) since I just stumbled across these, and b) it might help someone in the future ...
Ok, so I know we generally hate these fixtures, and they have long been discontinued by Altman, but does anyone know where I can find framing shutters for these units? ...

1KL_shutter.jpg
Production Advantage Altman Shutter Blade Assembly, for 1KL

Currently, $8/each, so for a complete set, $32 for a fixture that is barely worth that. But the shutters appear to be readily available should one need them.

Attachments

• 1KL_shutter.jpg
    1KL_shutter.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I also have he old cut sheet if anyone is interested.

Post-flood we went from 1KL6 to ETC so we have... a few laying around. I'm not the TD so I can't vouch for them being salable, but if all else fails let me know. (I know at least a few of the units' shutters are trash, but I think I could find enough to work)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

A show im designing thats coming up is in desperate need of more lights and the only things we have left are this pitiful altman 1KLs that are shutterless! I've been hunting these shutters down for a while now!

Good deed you are doing. Some doubts on sales - to my memory, those shutters didn't really go bad for the most part. I might be wrong. Still, making them available is great.

A check to the discontuned fixture Altman Parts catalogues for the fixture would tell in pulling up a 1KAL verses 360Q for shutters. If the same part number, or even if similar shape if slightly larger or needs some curves ground in them otherwise not there, that could work or be downsized to fit.... There is the gold mine in value. If they can be made into 360 series (same part 360 or 360Q, or at least to the extent that if above similar or could be made to fit a 360 series Leko..., those shopping on E-Bay for parts, these might be a good sales thing. To the extent those shopping E-Bay for parts. Need for 360 series shutters if they will work or need slight modification would lead to better sales.

I have a stack of 360Q reflectors and lamp base assemblies for free but shipping not included. Also lots of other fixture parts to be asked for. PM for. Shutters for me are the hardest part to replace. Yes I have a box of them, but mot are trashed in at best servicable/will work.

Last edited:
The 1KL shutters are unique, I believe. Something in my memory tells me that the handle comes off the blade at an angle. 360Q shutters in good condition might be a score. I'll look at mine and see if I need any. Last time I refurbished Altman 3.5Q ellipsoidals I was taken aback by how much new fiber washers cost.

The 1KL shutters are unique, I believe. Something in my memory tells me that the handle comes off the blade at an angle. 360Q shutters in good condition might be a score. I'll look at mine and see if I need any. Last time I refurbished Altman 3.5Q ellipsoidals I was taken aback by how much new fiber washers cost.
I went into the shop and I do have around 25 360q shutters also, new old stock. I got rid of all of my 360,was years ago. I bought the last lot of 360qs years ago on a prg auction and they used a plastic tube that looked like a circuit breaker handle tie with a #8 bolt for a pull.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_133316530.jpg
    IMG_20210715_133316530.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210713_205901143.jpg
    IMG_20210713_205901143.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 79
3.5Q shutters I have a good stash of...

While I have a good stock of shutter handles - that is an easily solved investment in 1/8" thick fish paper or hard board and a really good holesaw of the proper size. I could give McMaster Carr part numbers as needed, as with the rivets/washers I have upgraded to.

Above photos from like 2011 on this topic, scroll up in being correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back