Control/Dimming Blackout Button

thatactorguy

Why is there a "Blackout" button on some consoles? Why on Earth would this beast exist?? Why not just program the blackouts & scene change lights into the cues, which is what I do at Playhouse? Do some desks have a "Blackout" button but not a "Go" button? I searched the glossary for an answer, but didn't see anything in what I thought would be the obvious places to look (Blackout, Go, Cue, Desk, Console)

This has bothered me for quite some time... :neutral:

A lot of the times a blackout is used is for busking and flash & trash lighting rigs. It's not so much for the theatre world as it is for the rest. It is nice though to have when programming; instead of dropping a look to go to blackout, only to have to go back to that look right after, all I have to do is press blackout, record, and blackout again to go back to my look.

I always program my blackouts in ahead of time for cue-based shows, but for busking almost never.

Yeah, busking is the main use, but in theatre it can be used to annoy people, and if you don't get thanked and everyone else does, blackout.

We have a blackout button on our Express and it's both a blessing and a curse. It's nice to be able to, as Nicolai said, go to blackout without releasing a look, but sometimes it gets hit by accident and becomes a problem. I've yet to find a way to disable it in the settings of the board.

On Express, it can be disabled via the System Settings screen. Go to Setup > System Settings, and then it's option 8 on the list. For non-busking, it would be best enabled during rehearsals and programming, and then disabled during shows.

A lot of the times a blackout is used is for busking and flash & trash lighting rigs. It's not so much for the theatre world as it is for the rest. It is nice though to have when programming; instead of dropping a look to go to blackout, only to have to go back to that look right after, all I have to do is press blackout, record, and blackout again to go back to my look.

I always program my blackouts in ahead of time for cue-based shows, but for busking almost never.

We've got an Expression 3, and I always have the blackout key disabled. I have no use for it, and that is where I keep my clearcom box. I've had times where the box has pressed the button down, but it was disabled.

I haven't tried it since but I don't think that the grandmaster or the blackout button will record to cues. I've had cues in which all that happens is the lights dim. So I pulled the GM down, but it still recorded the full levels. I may be crazy though, I haven't had another chance to test that.

We've got an Expression 3, and I always have the blackout key disabled. I have no use for it, and that is where I keep my clearcom box. I've had times where the box has pressed the button down, but it was disabled.

Same, it is now permanently disabled. Even when I am busking, it is easier to just pull all the handles down rather than risk bumping the button accidentally, as it is in a very central location that's easy to hit.

I haven't tried it since but I don't think that the grandmaster or the blackout button will record to cues. I've had cues in which all that happens is the lights dim. So I pulled the GM down, but it still recorded the full levels. I may be crazy though, I haven't had another chance to test that.

The GM, unfortunately, will not record to cues. When I was relatively new on the Express, I went through and brought down levels on a bunch of cues by using the GM, only later realizing that they didn't actually have any effect. The same is true of the blackout button when it's enabled, recording with it still leaves the channels at their original levels.

On Express, it can be disabled via the System Settings screen. Go to Setup > System Settings, and then it's option 8 on the list. For non-busking, it would be best enabled during rehearsals and programming, and then disabled during shows.

Is there a way to disable the GM as well? I have my blackout button disabled, but for shows I would love to be able to disable the GM also. During techs we keep the show binder on the upper part of the console, on top of the individual channel faders, and the GM frequently gets knocked down to 95 or 90 percent without anyone noticing. Thus far, I have not been able to figure it out.

It's an almost identical process for disabling the GM. Go to Setup > System Settings, select item 10, and enter "0" to disable it.

It's an almost identical process for disabling the GM. Go to Setup > System Settings, select item 10, and enter "0" to disable it.

How have I never noticed that before? Wow I feel stupid. Thanks!

She put her coffee cup on the console? As much as I respect a director for the rank they have, I'd do a number on them for something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I asked is because we're looking at replacing our current desk, a Lightronics 3256 (I think that's the model- I'm not at the theatre right now) because it's had some issues for a while. Looking at other consoles, including the Express, my curiosity about the "Blackout" button- but moreso the "Go" button- resurfaced.

Our budget is extremely limited, with grants living low on the priority list. As a result, we've been living on our box office for the last five years, but fortunately for us, the new and current ED is very motivated and excited about exploring and getting outside funding resources.

Because of this, even a $3000 board is considered out of reach for us, and being a community theatre, our light and sound ops vary with each show. Simplicity is paramount for us, lol- that is, press "Go" and know what to do if something goes wrong. Example: Our current show, "Proof", the director is having to run the lights; this is a 70+ year-old man from Chicago who grew up on the old X/Y analog boards and has no desire to learn about the "newfangled" stuff. He asked me what to do if he messed up a cue, and I told him that the "Go" button is kind of sensitive and if he were going to cue 19, for example, and accidentally jumped to cue 22, all he had to do was press 19* on the keypad and press "Go", then he would be okay.

We have 24 2.4k dimmers, and hope to upgrade to at least 36, but probably never much beyond that. Our inventory has a total of approximately forty instruments of various sorts, and our grid has 59 edison circuits. We don't have MLs or LEDs, and probably won't for a very long time, much as I love the LEDs and the possibilities with them (color changing without gels) and think how cool the MLs are. We seat 138, and because we are housed in an old railroad depot, cannot expand the original walls beyond that which has already been done; the new part stops ten feet short of a major hill that drops dramatically, so expanding that way is out of the question.

Sorry for the ramble, but just wanted to let you know where we are. I'm currently looking at the Lightronics 2448 and possibly the ETC Smartfade (not ML). Lightronics because I'm most familiar with it (the 3256 was our first digital console), and the ETC because, well, it's ETC. Both are priced about the same. Does the Smartfade have a "Go" button, and can it be programmed easily? Was it designed for theatre and programming cues? I've read several threads on it, and after doing such, am quite honestly pretty confused about what it really does. I know people love it or hate it, think it's junk or isn't, but I'm looking for a two-scene preset with a "Go" button.

We're doing Jeckyll & Hyde this fall, and I'm the LD. Imagine doing that show with what we have... ;)

Our booth, btw, is very small, like 6'x8' (ish). Please see the pics in my profile. We hoping to move the booth to up center house before next season, but that's another thread... :)

Last edited:
"No drinks near the console" Josh! How could you have let her in!

I would have.... but being a 10yo+ Strand 12/24, i wouldn't particularly miss it.

I almost cried when our 1970's Precept 12 died. It is now hung in a picture frame in my room. RIP.

Nick

Have you tried looking into a used board? Their out there and if your not picky about having a brand new board it may work for you. You could look into rental houses that have been upgrading their equipment and will sell you their used boards at a discount.

As far as the Blackout button is concerned, I usually keep it disabled so that a bored light board operator doesn't accidentally hit it. However, down here in Texas we have a UIL one act play high school competition and the college I work at hosts the area level. This competition is very strict on their rules and the big one is time. In order to be able to go to a blackout quickly without having to type anything extra into the board I enable the blackout key so they can press it with out having to worry about going over time. This is about the only use I have found for my blackout key.

Have you tried looking into a used board? Their out there and if your not picky about having a brand new board it may work for you. You could look into rental houses that have been upgrading their equipment and will sell you their used boards at a discount.

I have looked a bit at used Expresses, and during the quick search I did, average price was $2500. For $700 less, I could get a new Smartfade, and for $900 less, I could get a new Lightronics 2448. For us, that's a huge savings and a new desk would be the more logical choice. We've had our 3256 for nine years and problems started developing a few years ago...

I should elaborate a bit more on the 2 scene thing: Our Lightronics console has the option of running 16 channels X/Y, 32 ch "single scene" (how we normally run it, only we have 24 dimmers, lol), and 16 ch-16 scenes, an option I've never explored. But because of people like my 70+ year-old man example, I'd like to keep the option of running X/Y so they're more comfortable with running lights that way on very simple shows, should they choose.

Just last week i had my director put her coffee cup on my b/o button. It scared the hell out of her when the whole room went black. She almost spilled the coffee!:shock:

Anyone who would put a liquid near electronics like that is not a director, they're an idiot with a title.

Anyone who would put a liquid near electronics like that is not a director, they're an idiot with a title.
Amen Len. No drinks in the booth means as it sounds. NO DRINKS IN THE BOOTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back