Brand New Theatre!! What would you put in it??

Hello All! I am lucky enough to be facility director of a brand new high school theatre! I have to make a list of everything - EVERYTHING that should go into a theatre! I'm talking all the tools, safety equipment, and all the fun things that make a techie drool. SO play a game with me? A list of EVERYTHING you would LOVE to have in a theatre!! It'll have 780 seats, a full pit, full 30 rail fly loft with grid, proscenium, shop, black box, 2 cats, LED lighting. What are the small items you HAVE to have in your theatre?

Re: HELP ME FILL MY NEW THEATRE!!!!

You can start by looking through these threads for some ideas as far as shop equipment and fixtures/accessories. The gear (lighting,sound,etc) should probably involve a consultant because somebody who knows the details of your space and what they are doing will be better than our general answers which will also depend on what type of budget you have.

We can provide you with some answers but it can't beat having somebody who is physically there to suggest what you want for equipment in those regards. Also, don't focus on the stuff that will make people drool, focus on the stuff you need that nobody notices. Tape, safety goggles, ear protection, there will be a lot of mundane stuff on your list probably.

Scene Shop, Tools and Equipment - ControlBooth
Gafftaper Method - ControlBooth

Last edited:
Some of the smaller items off the top include gaffe tape, electrical tape, glow tape, spike tape, tape measures, scotch tape, and painter's tape.

Firstly, Hello!
Secondly, Hire an accoustician.
Thirdly, Get Sennheiser G3 e500 Wireless mics, With MKE2's for the elements.
A great high school sound board would be the M7CL-48.
Get mics for an orchestra. Message me with questions.
Get 4 Channel Clear-Com with a wire less headset channle, with 4 wireless head sets, and 8 wired.
Get 8 2 way radios with face mics

Thirdly, Get Sennheiser G3 e500 Wireless mics, With MKE2's for the elements.
A great high school sound board would be the M7CL-48.
Get mics for an orchestra. Message me with questions.
Get 4 Channel Clear-Com with a wire less headset channle, with 4 wireless head sets, and 8 wired.
Get 8 2 way radios with face mics

Good recommendations, but I would personally shy away from recommending specific models and quantities of anything. I know the OP asked for it, but I feel that things like this are better handled in-person, in the actual space, and considering all possible usage scenarios since there is no "one-size-fits-all" sound/lighting/intercom/rigging system.

Last edited:
Since I'm mostly a lighting guy I'd recommend a gel & gobo selection, wrenches with lanyards, gloves and a storage box.

For a teacher some instructional tools would be nice! Perhaps a dollhouse size model of the building. As I recall Apollo and Rosco both make beginners kits. You don't necessarily need to buy them, just check out their parts list. At the very least get their brochures that list the most popular items.

Tell us more: Have you been teaching long? Are you technically inclined? What are your strong areas? Will you be doing the big musicals, dance or ??

One last thing. Get clean and usable drawings of the building (in CAD if you know how,) to be the background for all future lighting and scenery work. Floorplans, electrical, sections, etc. The Architects may even have a 3D model! Perhaps a teacher from the tech/shop department can help.

Like others have said... for actual specific equipment hire a consultant.

Here are some things that I have found "missing" from new theaters I've worked at. (and some older theaters that just don't know quite what they are doing).

Plenty of:
Black Gaff (5-10 rolls)
White Gaff (2-3 rolls)
Spike Tape of multiple colors both subtle and vibrant (at least 4 different colors)
Glow tape (2 rolls)

Sand Bags (well you will have extra pig weights...)
Line Locks (2+ always by the rail)
(plus proper training on Counterweight rigging systems as they are quite dangerous, even if you already have been trained you might consider getting refreshed).
Some clips for holding up the spreader plates while you are working on loading weights.
Good quality rope at good lengths for other hauling and or rope needs.
A good way to organize gel + gobos. I recently saw a rolling lighting expendables cabinet that I really liked.It had 7 or 8 drawers for cyc sized cuts and for full sheets large enough for any company's size and about 2" high per drawer. An flat area on top that was at a good working height. A small side drawer for pencils / clips / other marking devices / scissors / etc. 3 file boxes which fit on top for cut pieces in hanging file folders, and 3 or 4 drawers were down the side that fit gobo's in small envelopes.

Depending if you are getting all new gear or all old gear, purchase a repair kit (if old gear definitely, if new gear you can hold off on this until later).
That would include extra plugs for your system (stagepin, edison, or twistlock depending).
Crimps
Crimper tool / Wire Stripper
Multi-meter
E-tape

Search up on this website some good books for reading and reference.

A good set of rules.
My favorites from past theaters are:
No Eating in the theater / on stage / dressing rooms.
No Gum. Anywhere. At any time.
No Popcorn.
No Duct tape (Gaff Only).
Only have drama on stage
5 minutes early is on time, on time is late (okay so if you have a class period on time is on time...)

It would help to know what kind of stuff you are doing and if you plan on teaching.
if you are teaching technical theater, you'll probably want to get enough c-wrenchs for what you are teaching in regards to lighting.
As well as a pretty outfitted scene shop with all the various saws, drills, clamps, and other carpenter-ie things. (note: i'm a lighting guy, not exactly sure what you will need there).
Probably some gloves and flash lights for student crews to use.

Only have drama on stage

What kind of a rule is that? What is that supposed to protect? If this is a high school theater then Drama is probably going to be in the minority of things happening on that stage.

What kind of a rule is that? What is that supposed to protect? If this is a high school theater then Drama is probably going to be in the minority of things happening on that stage.

Well like no outside drama... like the two leads used to date but half way through rehearsals they split up. And then they refuse to kiss in Romeo and Juliet. It's more about keeping people focused on why they are in the theater as opposed to what is going on elsewhere.

Edit: it was always more of a joke rule... but still reminds people to leave their problems at the door and to use theater as a way to escape from them.

Last edited:
Hello All! I am lucky enough to be facility director of a brand new high school theatre! I have to make a list of everything - EVERYTHING that should go into a theatre!
Patrons, lots of them and preferably paying ones. Once you have that the rest is easy.

I'm talking all the tools, safety equipment, and all the fun things that make a techie drool. SO play a game with me? A list of EVERYTHING you would LOVE to have in a theatre!! It'll have 780 seats, a full pit, full 30 rail fly loft with grid, proscenium, shop, black box, 2 cats, LED lighting. What are the small items you HAVE to have in your theatre?
Is this a recently completed facility, one being built or one just being designed? Is there someone already handling the design and provision of all the tech systems and have you coordinated with them?

Based on past experiences, I am going to guess that they may already be designing or building the venue and that along the way it was decided that all the installed equipment would be addressed as part of that effort, however much or all of the 'loose' equipment will be 'Owner Furnished" and not part of that work. That is a pretty common approach and if that is the case then a logical first step might be to assess what is being provided and what related assumptions may have been made. Once you know what is or is not being provided and any related assumptions or 'basis of design' factors then you may have a more defined basis for starting your effort.

I just opened my second HS theater this year after opening my first 2.5 years ago. I have a lot to say on the topic! However, I want to wait your answers to some of the other folks questions about your specific situation. How far along are you in the process? Do you also have an orchestra pit (This will be an issue:confused: )? Also, how does the district plan to use the space? Will you be a road house set up or focus more on school district events? Will you be teaching any classes or assembling a tech crew after school (assuming your school will allow a tech crew)? I can tell you that right now the number one thing I want is rehearsal space! But a full set of the upcoming s4 led cyc lights would be nice as well ;)

I look forward to hearing more about your situation, and feel free to stop by the new member area and introduce yourself!

The way I word it is 'Keep the drama on the stage' . My techies sure do love gossiping :rolleyes:

Well like no outside drama... like the two leads used to date but half way through rehearsals they split up. And then they refuse to kiss in Romeo and Juliet. It's more about keeping people focused on why they are in the theater as opposed to what is going on elsewhere.

That's actually a good lead-in to a policy that could be useful: No interdepartmental dating, especially during production week (or however far you want to take it). It's not an easy rule to enforce unless you are serious about following through with it, but it's a good way to help keep that teen drama at bay.

Since I'm mostly a lighting guy I'd recommend a gel & gobo selection, wrenches with lanyards, gloves and a storage box.

For a teacher some instructional tools would be nice! Perhaps a dollhouse size model of the building. As I recall Apollo and Rosco both make beginners kits. You don't necessarily need to buy them, just check out their parts list. At the very least get their brochures that list the most popular items.

Tell us more: Have you been teaching long? Are you technically inclined? What are your strong areas? Will you be doing the big musicals, dance or ??

One last thing. Get clean and usable drawings of the building (in CAD if you know how,) to be the background for all future lighting and scenery work. Floorplans, electrical, sections, etc. The Architects may even have a 3D model! Perhaps a teacher from the tech/shop department can help.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies! This will be my first year teaching, I have a BFA in Technical Theatre, but definitely am stronger in stage management, lighting design, set design and construction. We will be doing 1 big musical, and 2 smaller shows, +band/choir concerts and then whatever else the theatre is rented out for. As far as lighting goes, it will be all LED lighting.

Patrons, lots of them and preferably paying ones. Once you have that the rest is easy.

Is this a recently completed facility, one being built or one just being designed? Is there someone already handling the design and provision of all the tech systems and have you coordinated with them?

Based on past experiences, I am going to guess that they may already be designing or building the venue and that along the way it was decided that all the installed equipment would be addressed as part of that effort, however much or all of the 'loose' equipment will be 'Owner Furnished" and not part of that work. That is a pretty common approach and if that is the case then a logical first step might be to assess what is being provided and what related assumptions may have been made. Once you know what is or is not being provided and any related assumptions or 'basis of design' factors then you may have a more defined basis for starting your effort.

It is supposed to be completed in August. The design and tech systems have already been selected, such as the lighting instruments, sound equipment, headsets and that sort. I am in the process of making a list of everything else that I want in it, here's what I've got so far, like I said it's a working list:
SAWS:

Panel Saw
Table Saw
Compound Miter Saw
Band Saw
Cordless Circular Saw
Cordless Jigsaw

SHOP TOOLS:
Genie Lift
Drill Press
(Drill bits)
Belt Sander
4 - Cordless Drills
(Drill bits)
Router
Electric Stapler
2 - 16oz Claw Hammer
2 – Table Mounted Vise
4 – Phillips Screw Drivers
4 – Flathead Screw Drivers
2 – Chalk Lines
4 – 25ft Tape measures
1 – 165 ft Tape measure
2 – Framing Square
2 – Combo Square
1 – Rafter Square
2 – Bevel Gauges
1 – 2’ Level
1 – 4’ Level
1 – Set of Tremmel Points
2 – Plier sets
1 – Sex of hex keys
2 – Rubbe Mallets
2 – 4” C-Clamps
2 – 6” C-Clamps
2 – 8” C-Clamps
4 – Steel Spring Clamps
2 – Ratcheting screwdriving sets
4 – Sawhorses
2 – Large Shop-Vacs
1 – Magnetic Sweeper
2 – Wide Brooms

SAFTEY:
Safety Glasses
Ear Protection
-plugs
-earmuffs
Dust masks

RIGGING:
Fall protection kits (Harnesses and ropes)
Hardhat w/chin strap
Knee Pads
Laser Distance Meter
Tie Line
Rope

LIGHTING:
Gloves
6” adjustable c-wrenches

TAPE:
Gaff Tape
Glow Tape
Spike Tape
Electrical Tape

Please let me know if you have anything you think I should add!!!! THANKS!!

I just opened my second HS theater this year after opening my first 2.5 years ago. I have a lot to say on the topic! However, I want to wait your answers to some of the other folks questions about your specific situation. How far along are you in the process? Do you also have an orchestra pit (This will be an issue:confused: )? Also, how does the district plan to use the space? Will you be a road house set up or focus more on school district events? Will you be teaching any classes or assembling a tech crew after school (assuming your school will allow a tech crew)? I can tell you that right now the number one thing I want is rehearsal space! But a full set of the upcoming s4 led cyc lights would be nice as well ;)

I look forward to hearing more about your situation, and feel free to stop by the new member area and introduce yourself!

-There will be an orchestra pit, complete with the "Pit Net"
-I think to begin we will be more district focused, but will soon become a road house set up
-I will be teaching 2 courses of stage craft and will have 8 hours of "crew" required for the class in addition to the tech crew that assembles after school
-As far as rehearsal space, we also will have a black box theater which will be nice, and house the improv team that I will be starting!

Few things off the top of my head:
-Corded circ saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw for when the piece isn't appropriate for a fixed saw, and the battery ones don't have enough oomph to do the job
-Orbital sander
-Two spare batteries per tool + a good charging solution if you're married to cordless tools
-If you're getting a compressor, might want to think about an air ratchet, and/or replacing some of the cordless tools with pneumatic versions.
-Dedicated tool kits for lights/sound with items such as jewelers screwdrivers, assorted straight and phillips screwdrivers (both bit size and handle length), appropriate wrenches, hex and torx key sets, and other dept specific tools.
-1-2 Altman wrenchs are useful to have, especially with older lights, but not essential
-Something to store, organize, cut, and transport gel

It is supposed to be completed in August. The design and tech systems have already been selected, such as the lighting instruments, sound equipment, headsets and that sort. I am in the process of making a list of everything else that I want in it, here's what I've got so far, like I said it's a working list:
SAWS:

Panel Saw
Table Saw
Compound Miter Saw
Band Saw
Cordless Circular Saw
Cordless Jigsaw

SHOP TOOLS:
Genie Lift
Drill Press
(Drill bits)
Belt Sander
4 - Cordless Drills
(Drill bits)
Router
Electric Stapler
2 - 16oz Claw Hammer
2 – Table Mounted Vise
4 – Phillips Screw Drivers
4 – Flathead Screw Drivers
2 – Chalk Lines
4 – 25ft Tape measures
1 – 165 ft Tape measure
2 – Framing Square
2 – Combo Square
1 – Rafter Square
2 – Bevel Gauges
1 – 2’ Level
1 – 4’ Level
1 – Set of Tremmel Points
2 – Plier sets
1 – Sex of hex keys
2 – Rubbe Mallets
2 – 4” C-Clamps
2 – 6” C-Clamps
2 – 8” C-Clamps
4 – Steel Spring Clamps
2 – Ratcheting screwdriving sets
4 – Sawhorses
2 – Large Shop-Vacs
1 – Magnetic Sweeper
2 – Wide Brooms

SAFTEY:
Safety Glasses
Ear Protection
-plugs
-earmuffs
Dust masks

RIGGING:
Fall protection kits (Harnesses and ropes)
Hardhat w/chin strap
Knee Pads
Laser Distance Meter
Tie Line
Rope

LIGHTING:
Gloves
6” adjustable c-wrenches

TAPE:
Gaff Tape
Glow Tape
Spike Tape
Electrical Tape

Please let me know if you have anything you think I should add!!!! THANKS!!

Congrats on your new space.

Off the top of my head, I'd add a drywall square, some speed squares, vise grips, some foxtail/bench brushes, and big dustpans. And where can I get some of those sex of hex keys??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back