Brand New Theatre!! What would you put in it??

Congrats on your new space.

Off the top of my head, I'd add a drywall square, some speed squares, vise grips, some foxtail/bench brushes, and big dustpans. And where can I get some of those sex of hex keys??

Bevel Set

a number of small hand saws for when you can't get teh battery powered ones in a tight space. (also they never run out of batteries)

Locking TOOL LOCKER
METAL locking cabinet
These should be labeled with ever tool having a shelf a drawer/slot/hook to keep things easily organized for you and kids. the ability to lock and secure is important.

Smaller personal lockers for students belongings (maybe in dressing rooms or hallways) a place for actors and crew to keep and store their valuables (computers, jewelry phones) during shows. (my high school/college everything went into packing envelopes and got locked in the TD's office.

5 gal HOME depot buckets for small trash, misc storage or temp cleanup of space usage.

Ditto on adding corded saws (Or even doing away with the cordless. They really aren't worth the trouble.) Also, you'll want a couple of corded drills as well. Batteries will go QUICKLY on some jobs.

I'd suggest a dust collection system for the shop.

In addition to the dust collection system (I have a 3 hp cyclone in my home shop) - I would suggest some air filtration units! Something like the JDS Air-Tech (a couple of them) - or something from Jet.

A nice storage cabinet for gels, gel frames and the like. A work bench or work unit just for lights would be nice.
Something that has a switched outlet for bench testing lights and maybe a small lamp for checking gel colors.

A good supply of foxtail brushes and dust pans.

A couple of good shop vacuums with all sorts of accessories.

A backpack vacuum for vacuuming the curtains and drops.

A steamer for clothes, curtains, scenery, etc.

Dollies: a hand truck with a large bottom plate, a big flatbed, and some furniture dollies would be a good start. Step ladders at 6', 8' and 10'. I opened a new school this year. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

-There will be an orchestra pit, complete with the "Pit Net"
-I think to begin we will be more district focused, but will soon become a road house set up
-I will be teaching 2 courses of stage craft and will have 8 hours of "crew" required for the class in addition to the tech crew that assembles after school
-As far as rehearsal space, we also will have a black box theater which will be nice, and house the improv team that I will be starting!

For the Pit, make sure you have clearly defined consequences for jumping into the net. I never thought it would be a problem, but we had to remove our stage manager from the production because she couldn't resist the urge :rolleyes:

I think that the bases have been covered pretty well here, however I didn't see extension cords on the list. I would get at least four 50' cords, black if you can find them. Everyone needs them, and no one remembers to bring their own.

Sounds like a nice space, congrats.

If you are going to be a road house:

- you may want to consider getting some hampers to store your soft goods. We get several 4 truck shows a year and have to do a complete strip and getting our softs on wheels would be a blessing. Also a means to get your lights on wheels. Most shows that travel with lights will say in the rider "We WILL NOT use your on stage lights under any cricumstance" They will likely use your front of house, if they meet their needs. Not sure LED will cut it for them.

-Also a large capital outlay would be investing in a Marley dance floor. We use ours about 5 times a year.

Storage racks for bins
storage rack for flats, lumber, sheet goods
brushes
rollers/handles
roller cleaner
rags/towels
push brooms,
magnetic sweeper,
cabinet for storing flammable materials
weather alert radio
flashlights
first aid kits
rope/tie line
hard hats
safety goggles
paint shirts
aprons
extra sawblades/bits/drivers
spade bits
hole cutter bits
rubber mallet
paint stirrers and paint can openers
compass
large t square
set square
fabric softener (makes it easier to clean acrylic/latex out of brushes)
foam cutters
hot wire cutter
pens/pencils/sharpies
pencil sharpeners for both regular and carpenters pencils
lots of scissors
box cutters and blades
exacto knifes
wire
zip ties
organizers for screws/nails/fasteners
Kee klamp pipe fittings
pipe, pipe cutter, pipe clamp, cutting oil
metal files
wood files/shaves/rasps

Here is a link to the new theatre that TEX is involved in:http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/stage-management-facility-operations/28428-new-school.html
Keep us posted and how about some pictures please, I know many of us here would like to see inventory lists of the sound and lighting equipment.
It sounds as though most of the sound and lighting gear was part of the building construction and that what is being addressed here is the Owner Furnished equipment that was not part of that work.

There are going to be some factors such as paint booths and the dust collection system mentioned that may be related to what was included in the building construction. It is not unusual to have a conceptual shop plan that is used as the basis for all the related 'base building' architectural, mechanical, plumbing and electrical design work and if that was done then getting that information might really help in providing a starting point for any related equipment.

Another possible factor, is this a 'one time budget that has to be spent now' situation or is it feasible to limit yourself to initially purchasing some of the basics and then having some budget to purchase items as you find their being justified?

I don't know your budget but is a panel saw worth it? when you have large sheet goods you can just use a circular saw or table saw. If I were you and had a full crew as it sounds like you do, i would spend the money on more of the smaller things, like drills and impact drivers (a modified drill that works GREAT for driving screws). You will also want some bar clamps.

Here is a list of things i haven't seen so far on this thread:
-more drills
-more hammers
-painting equipment
---brushes
---rollers
---pans
---sprayers
---5in1 painters tool (most helpful tool EVER)
-Instead of adjustable wrenches for lighting try this awesome light speed wrench (Lightspeed Wrench with Safety Ring) it is a ratcheting wrench with 3 sizes for the 3 sizes of nuts found on C-clamps
-bar clamps

I don't know your budget but is a panel saw worth it? when you have large sheet goods you can just use a circular saw or table saw. If I were you and had a full crew as it sounds like you do, i would spend the money on more of the smaller things, like drills and impact drivers (a modified drill that works GREAT for driving screws). You will also want some bar clamps.

Here is a list of things i haven't seen so far on this thread:
-more drills
-more hammers
-painting equipment
---brushes
---rollers
---pans
---sprayers
---5in1 painters tool (most helpful tool EVER)
-Instead of adjustable wrenches for lighting try this awesome light speed wrench (Lightspeed Wrench with Safety Ring) it is a ratcheting wrench with 3 sizes for the 3 sizes of nuts found on C-clamps
-bar clamps

I would stick with c-wrenches, they're a lot more versatile. If someone wants a fancier wrench they can buy their own. And lots of people that do like a "fancier" wrench have different tastes in what they like.

I don't know your budget but is a panel saw worth it?

In my opinion, if you have space a panel saw is always worth it. Having one in my college shop and having worked for home depot. And being in a shop where I only have a circ saw I wish I had one. It makes cutting sheet good so much easier because unless you have a large table saw that can handle a full sheet a panel saw is safer, easier to handle the sheet, and quicker. I'd trade 3 of my students for one in a heartbeat.

The Who with all the originals, with Nirvana opening. And Art Pepper playing the after party.

I think the key here is to start at the top and break it down.

Scenic Shop

Proscenium Stage

House

Offices and Meeting Rooms

Design Studio

Then, break it down more.

Scene Shop-Equipment
Saws, Pneumatic Tools, Automation Gear, Welding and Metal Working Gear, Loading Doors

Proscenium Stage-Basics
Flyrail, Deck, Orchestra Pit, Lighting Gear, Sound Gear, Loading Doors, Dressing Rooms

House-Basics
Seats, Plaster Decor, Carpet

Office and Meeting Rooms-Basics
Computers, Furniture, Printers, Copiers, Whiteboards, Projectors

Design Studio-Basics
Plotters, Whiteboards, Art Supplies, High End Computers

Costume Shop-Basics
Sewing gear, worktables, large storage areas

Lighting Studio-Basics
A light lab would be great in the educational setting, as well as workbenches to repair movers and tools.

Then, break it down into actual tangible objects. I'll use the Proscenium Stage, for example.

Proscenium Stage
Flyrail
-Single Purchase, Synthetic Ropes
-38 Arbors
-Several thousand pounds of pig iron
-Locking Rail [Preferably a Midrail]
-Loading Gallery
-Grid
-Loft Blocks
-Upright blocks
-Other gear for shivs
-34 Schedule C 1.5 inch battens
-4 Square Truss, Runways, Or Battens with multi-cable for electrics

Deck
-Sprung Floor [if needed]
-Trap Door System [no one seems to install these, but yet everyone wants to be able to use one at some point]
-Trap Room
-Automation Tracks [if a HS, a few pre-intalled tracks is more practical then building a show deck each time]
-Shivs for Automation Tracks
-Winches for Automation tracks
-Loading Doors
-Easy access to dressing rooms and offices

Orchestra Pit
-Acoustics
-Easy access to green room [please don't make the orchestra walk through the house!]

If you're doing lots of tours, load ins, or events, it may be worth investigating having the pit on a elevator that can come to stage level, pit level, or basement level

Lighting Gear
Don't go all LED! No designers are comfortable enough to walk into an all LED space. Having nice fixtures is great, but save the LEDS for the house lights.

-Source 4 of various degrees
-Intelligent Lights [several Martin fixtures, perhaps, a few MAC Auroras]
-LED Par Cans [very functional for washes]
-Cyc Lights
-Fresnels of various sizes
-Source 4 Pars
-Strip lights [the kind that can be hung or used as footlights]
-Control Console
-Dimmer Rack [Probably located in once of the offices]
-DMX Gear
-All sorts of cable, adapters, twofers, multi-cable, breakouts, etc

Sound
I don't really know much about sound. Monitors, speakers, a board and mics?

Dressing Rooms
-Mirrors
-Sinks
-Bathrooms
-Couch, chairs, other furniture

If you keep breaking it down, you'll eventually be able to get some specifics pounded out.

Big difference in knowing what to have and getting it done correctly and economically - especially if overseen by government and to be competitively bid through contractors and such.

The best thing you can do is hire someone who knows their stuff to come help you out. I'm not sure where you are at in Washington, but I'm in Seattle and would be happy to be that someone. I've done this a few times and I assure you that it's going to be tough without some experience pointing you around the pitfalls. Best of all I'm a teacher so I can be had cheap compared to a consultant ... Well cheap if you aren't off in a far corner of the Okanogan somewhere.

Send me a private message and we can chat.

Last edited:
Ok I don't say this to sound harsh but how did you get to become the facility director? I get the feeling you're a new hire. That's ok but I want to see you succeed and if you even need to ask this, you're not off to a good start and you're probably a bit green for the position. If you aren't a new hire then I'm guessing that you inherited the theatre because someone else chose to build it. That's better, but the person you should be asking now becomes the theatre teacher because that's the person who is going to be using the space. Ask the teacher what she needs.
Whatever she asks for, double it.

Start with your shop. Think about the projects, you're going to be building scenery. You'll need tools for building. Go through the hand tools section of your local Lowe's and grab 8-15 of every tool your 7 year old can name (Assuming there's 5 classes of 30 students in the theatre program; in round numbers). Grab more if it's small and likely to walk away (Screwdrivers), Grab less if it's heavy less likely to walk away (hammers).

Now is a good time for a good "Saw stop" table saw. I like them because they are safer. A drill press, 14v drills, sanders, and other large tools is probably a good thing to get at this time as well. Don't forget a tool box and plastic bins for sorting. Set a good organized standard now and your life will be easier later.

Next pick your favorite theatre catalog (BMI Supply and Norcostco have nice ones), it's ok if it's a few years old prices don't matter while you're picking out stuff, you can shop prices later, Start loading up on essentials (Gaff tape anyone?)

Skip the gel, but save money to order gel and gobos based on the needs of your theatre. If you want to play it safe buy 50 sheets of Bastard Amber and No Color Blue, Rosco 02 and 60 respectively. You'll use it eventually.

Get good microphones, I highly recommend Sennheiser due to their metal construction and 10 year no-fault warranty. Perfect for when it rolls off the scene shop table into that 5 gallon bucket of paint. I'm also a fan of the Ew 300's for high schools but you probably have those included with the construction.

Order several Ben Nye or Mehron makeup kits. this will supply you with all the basics.

Get a good selection of costuming parts and supplies. Needles and thread can go along way, a sewing maching is probably helpful even if you normally dont build your own costumes.

Ultimately though, stock your tool room well. Don't buy the cheapest tools, buy the safest. And talk to the drama teacher.

So these are just some ideas, I really haven't even scratched the surface. I'd visit some summer theatres work with the drama teacher. Whatever the Drama teacher asks for, give it serious consideration.

Good luck

For construction, just don't bother with a regular drill for screws, go out and get some cordless impact drivers, preferable from Makita. Just be careful, they will get a screw into and out of anything.

For construction, just don't bother with a regular drill for screws, go out and get some cordless impact drivers, preferable from Makita. Just be careful, they will get a screw into and out of anything.

That's fine for screwing a couple 2x4's together, but any sort of fine woodworking that's a really bad idea. Impact drivers to bolt larger things together and screw guns for screws. Impact drivers will rip a screw apart if you aren't careful. The right tool for the right job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back