Coemar's new release Reflection LEDko

For new installations, these eliminate lots of infrastructure that used to be necessary - dimmer racks? Not necessary. Massive multicables so that there are loads of circuits at each position? Not necessary. Replacement lamps? Not necessary. It's kind of a big deal.

I still have a hard time moving away from gel in theatre situations though, because there are transmittancy curves that you just cannot replicate, even with something like a Selador unit. The way some gel colors interact with costumes, sets and paints is very unique and I'd have a hard time doing a show with just LEDs.

Of course I must take exception with your statement about getting "3" lights for that price. NOT SO! It is one fixture that I can change optics on. One pool of light at a time, not 3. Just like a traditional ERS with changeable barrels. Nice try though.

I think they mean "three different types of fixtures".
Example: Say you have two spaces; a blackbox and a proscenium theatre. You only use one at a time. The ERS instruments that you use as specials on your mainstage can become fresnels in your blackbox. I think that's what they mean.

I also wouldn't say it's "just like a traditional ERS with interchangeable barrels". When was the last time you saw a "wash" lens tube?

Example: Say you have two spaces; a blackbox and a proscenium theatre. You only use one at a time. The ERS instruments that you use as specials on your mainstage can become fresnels in your blackbox. I think that's what they mean.

Duh. Yes. That is what the person said isn't it? Good catch, Les.:rolleyes:

As for Cost if you invested $2800 for one light engine and 2 optics equaling 3 different types of lights thats only $933.00 a light. Now thats a real deal.

The important and obvious point I was trying to make was that the person who posted the reply was saying $933 per light. Complete marketing speak. For your $2800 you still only have one light able to do one job at a time, with one beam angle, and one focus. Nice looking color though. And all the other obvious benefits of a low power fixture. Just do not try to sell me on the idea I am getting "3 lights for the price of one". I am not.

I also wouldn't say it's "just like a traditional ERS with interchangeable barrels". When was the last time you saw a "wash" lens tube?

Sure. I should have said "Similar to.." rather then "Just like..". So sorry. And I so often forget about the diffusion filters that are available and that allow an ERS to mimic the look of a wash light.

New tools are great, and I really, really like the looks of this one. If we can afford to have some around they will get used, probably a lot, but of course they will not be replacing our existing ERS inventory anytime soon.

Regards,

Bob

The important and obvious point I was trying to make was that the person who posted the reply was saying $933 per light. Complete marketing speak. For your $2800 you still only have one light able to do one job at a time, with one beam angle, and one focus. Nice looking color though. And all the other obvious benefits of a low power fixture. Just do not try to sell me on the idea I am getting "3 lights for the price of one". I am not.

Sure. I should have said "Similar to.." rather then "Just like..". So sorry. And I so often forget about the diffusion filters that are available and that allow an ERS to mimic the look of a wash light.

New tools are great, and I really, really like the looks of this one. If we can afford to have some around they will get used, probably a lot, but of course they will not be replacing our existing ERS inventory anytime soon.

Regards,

Bob

I see your point, and I agree with you. Here at Controlbooth, we like to challenge each other's posts. It helps us to dig deeper, qualify our opinions and ultimately, learn more. So, I hope you didn't take my challenging of your posts offensively, as it's not my intent to question your knowledge or intensions, but rather to elevate the level of discussion. We're all on the same team here.

Welcome to the booth!

Last edited:

Regards,

Bob

I actually agree with you on a lot of this, Im looking at it saying well, a seachanger is how much less? I dont really want to spend 2800 bucks on a new light that I can get the same utility from a seachanger that costs a bit less. Looks like a cool light tho.

LEDKO Photometrics. Am I looking at these wrong?

Just got a link to the LEDko datasheets.
DataSheet

Photometricds

Comparing the 26 degree 3200 Kelvin unit to the ETC S4 26 degree unit with a 300 hour 575 watt lamp ( the LEDko seems to use 120 watts ) at 9 meters
  • LEDko puts out 255 LUX
  • ETC puts out about 1686 LUX

So for 4.8 times the power, the ETC puts out 6.6 times the light. ( in a white led).

I would have expected the LED to give more lumens per watt.

Am I calculating this wrong?
Does anyone have an explanation? ( other than perhaps a point source is substantially more efficient )

on a Nexera - I have two at home

Looks like the future of stage lighting. Unfortunately, the future looks expensive!

What have you heard? I'd love to know the MSRP on this. I wonder how the gobo mfg. feel about it, since apparently you can create full color stuff on your printer and use it.

Take the LEDko Challenge - $20K Grand Prize

How badly do you need to update your profile? That is the question we are asking all staging, studio, installation and theater professionals throughout North America. In celebration of the launch of the new Reflection LEDko series by Coemar, LED Source will award one lucky winner with a Reflection LEDko LED lighting package worth over $20,000.
Participants are asked to submit a short video of their lighting system that is in dire need of help. It should show their current lighting problems and why they should win. To enter visit www.facebook.com/ReflectionLEDko and click on the Contest tab. All entries must be submitted by January 18, 2012. A panel of experts made up of both LED Source and Coemar will then pick five finalists. Fans of the Reflection LEDko Facebook page will then begin voting on January 21, 2012 and a grand prize winner will be announced on January 31, 2012.
The entry with the most votes will win a package of eight Reflection LEDko fixtures with either hard or soft edge optics included. Enter the LEDko Challenge Contest today.

Could go great for the person who wins the EOS series console!

Re: Take the LEDko Challenge - $20K Grand Prize

Could go great for the person who wins the EOS series console!

Absolutely. This is really a simple contest. You can even use your Smartphone to record a video. Just show us what you have and why you are in need of a new lighting rig. Do you know anyone that might want to enter?

Absolutely. This is really a simple contest. You can even use your Smartphone to record a video. Just show us what you have and why you are in need of a new lighting rig. Do you know anyone that might want to enter?

My wife will be making a video....

. Do you know anyone that might want to enter?

I would like to, but we would need to win a new console first. We have an old GSX so we cant even control what we have now, let alone new LED fixtures. :sad:

I'd totally enter, but I don't have a space or any fixtures as of right now.

Great new entry on the LEDko Challenge from the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company.
Don't forget, you could win $20K of Reflection LEDko fixtures for your school, theater, or other corporate install. Enter at the Facebook Reflection LEDko Page. Submissions close January 18th. Check out the latest entry now at CSC Lighting Contest Entry - YouTube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
New LEDko

Hey guys, we just got in samples of our new LEDkos. We are really pleased with the results. So far only one pic.

It is on the left, with a traditional Source4 of the same beam angle on the right. The camera auto adjusted the color temp to the LED (which shows you how much "whiter" the LED unit is).

The dimming curve on a scale of 1-10 is about an 8 (and I am very picky). It works well at any timing, I can't make it choppy if I try. It almost exactly mimics an incandescent curve until you hit about 1.5%-2%.

We are sending it out on a demo tomorrow, I will try and get the person demoing to post here after they look at it.

Here is the photo. We haven't put a photometer on it, but to the naked eye, it is brighter and the field is more even.

Of course, you do have to contend with a completely different color spectrum (with spikes in strange places) so you have to adjust how you look at gel, but overall we are very, very happy with how the unit looks/handles/works.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 253
Re: New LEDko

Which version of the ledko was this? Full spectrum, variWhite, or White?

What kind of lamp in the S4 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back