KT the TD

We're having troubles with our dimmers after the power went out. Some won't shut off, some pop on at 50% when the fader gets to 1%, and it's an issue being December when everyone and their brother put on "The Nutcracker."

I've tried resetting the modules but can't find a main power switch to cycle the power off and on (hoping to trip to back to normal with a proper off/on.) Nothing is out of the ordinary on the board and I've heard of dimmers going wonky after an outage and needing to be power cycled. I just for the life of me can't find any "main" control. And all I see in the manual is "Power on." Well gee I would if I could.

All status lights are green indicating everything is hunky dory. I don't know what else to do. Any advice before I call Leviton?

Also to note, I have a "Controlkeeper Lighting Control" Box by Leviton in the same room as the dimmers. But I'm not sure how to operate it and also unsure if it controls my dimmers or the worklights. I'm also unsure of what it means when it says "relay."

To actually "power cycle" the dimmer rack, you will have to have your facilities person find the main breaker in an electrical room somewhere. There is nothing on the dimmer rack itself to turn off the power. Make sure you don't have any channels up when the power is cycled. Have a qualified person do this.

I've actually found the NSI/Colortran/Leviton tech support people responsive and helpful the last couple of years, so I would go ahead and give them a call with your questions.

To actually "power cycle" the dimmer rack, you will have to have your facilities person find the main breaker in an electrical room somewhere. There is nothing on the dimmer rack itself to turn off the power. Make sure you don't have any channels up when the power is cycled. Have a qualified person do this.

I've actually found the NSI/Colortran/Leviton tech support people responsive and helpful the last couple of years, so I would go ahead and give them a call with your questions.

I was afraid of that. Our managing director has decided to get in touch with our repair contact to come out and look at our racks. (Which I agree with because this is over my head)

Thank you!

Older electronics are more likely to have issues with power surges from outages and lightning strikes. Depending greatly on the details of your system, you may have lost some of the system configuration as well. The racks are programmed with a hand held tool that looks a lot like the remote focus tool for the console. Finding or renting one of those may be needed. But have the repair guy call Leviton support.

There really isn't anything you can do.

I had a similar issue with our dimmers responding as relays after a massive power failure in the area. I was able to successfully reset the system by hitting the reset micro switch, found in the central electronics module in each rack. This switch is the type found on some WiFi routers--a small diameter opening that needs a paper clip or jeweler's screwdriver to access it. The opening is on the front of the electronics module, at the center-but near the bottom of the face plate. No power down required. And BTW-all my indicator lights were normal/green--even when the system was not working properly. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back