Gadgets

You take the same precautions with your department's gear as you would with your home or car. If you do not want things to disappear or get stolen take some security measures. I find it hard to believe that the school does not have some sort of camera security systems, but if not you could always take this step yourself. Or lock the tools in a cabinet that maintenance does not have access to. It's hard to deny them access to rooms (even if the door locks they still could have the key as it's school property), but a locked cabinet would be your best bet to deter theft. Again, there are no excuses for this to be happening. You (or your department) are leaving tools accessible and the maintenance staff are STEALING them because it's easy to do so. Make it not easy.

Agreed I think that the reason that things have not been secured is the fact of trying to find space to keep something like this has been an excuse for laziness. But I will do my best when I get back to school to take your advice and bring it up and if I have to build it myself I will do it,as long as I get the permission too. Which should be easy to obtain. Thanks.

A lot of it has to do with diminished or non-existent budgets. Arts programs have been getting cut so drastically in a number of districts that they are unable to hire a competent and trained person to run the technical portions of these programs and spaces.

Being in HS myself, and having browsed this forum for a while now, I can safely say that this problem is WAY too common nowadays, and that is tragic, because a trained technical theater supervisor is a NECESSITY for a theater. It is the same as the need for a TRAINED engineer or maintenance tech, and those are rarely undersupplied in schools, because the administration, both on the school and district level understand the need for them. The need for a trained engineer to keep the lights on is the same as the need for a trained SM to keep the theater in good repair. So, the argument that Fine Arts do not have enough budget money to pay a stage manager could be answered by saying that the SM is an engineer, just like all the others on staff, and thus should be paid out of the engineering budget, or a combination of engineering and Fine Arts. The types of equipment we work with are highly specialized, highly complicated, and highly strung. Without an adult supervisor, we have to take the blame for a broken piece of equipment. "Take the blame," in this case, also means repair or replace. Another problem with lack of adult representation is other staff members. Some assume that they are adults, we are children, they know best, and that's all there is to it. With an adult in charge of the club, they are more likely to sit down and listen to whatever the problem is with what they are requesting, or what the students are requesting. I have personally dealt with certain adult staff members that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and are just plain rude to me. Without an adult on my side to back me up, they will not listen to any problems wuth their request/demand.

The lack of trained adult supervision/representation in high school technical theater is, I would argue, one of the biggest problems with high school Fine Arts/Performing Arts programs today. The stage manager is the person that ties the entire group together, dance, band, orchestra, choir, and drama. Our situation is so bad that each group keeps to itself, and runs their own affairs, instead of communally working with each other and helping the program as a whole. We have scheduling issues that are somehow OUR fault because different Fine Arts do not communicate with each other, and the auditorium, whose upkeep, I believe, should be the responsibility of those who use it (Fine Arts/Perf. Arts) is falling into disrepair, with only myself and a couple others to slow its' decay.

So, that is a quite lengthy response to the question of why many high schools do not provide tools, or even tool lists for us student technicians.

Last edited:
Being in HS myself, and having browsed this forum for a while now, I can safely say that this problem is WAY too common nowadays, and that is tragic, because a trained technical theater supervisor is a NECESSITY for a theater. It is the same as the need for a TRAINED engineer or maintenance tech, and those are rarely undersupplied in schools, because the administration, both on the school and district level understand the need for them. The need for a trained engineer to keep the lights on is the same as the need for a trained SM to keep the theater in good repair. So, the argument that Fine Arts do not have enough budget money to pay a stage manager could be answered by saying that the SM is an engineer, just like all the others on staff, and thus should be paid out of the engineering budget, or a combination of engineering and Fine Arts. The types of equipment we work with are highly specialized, highly complicated, and highly strung. Without an adult supervisor, we have to take the blame for a broken piece of equipment. "Take the blame," in this case, also means repair or replace. Another problem with lack of adult representation is other staff members. Some assume that they are adults, we are children, they know best, and that's all there is to it. With an adult in charge of the club, they are more likely to sit down and listen to whatever the problem is with what they are requesting, or what the students are requesting. I have personally dealt with certain adult staff members that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and are just plain rude to me. Without an adult on my side to back me up, they will not listen to any problems wuth their request/demand.

The lack of trained adult supervision/representation in high school technical theater is, I would argue, one of the biggest problems with high school Fine Arts/Performing Arts programs today. The stage manager is the person that ties the entire group together, dance, band, orchestra, choir, and drama. Our situation is so bad that each group keeps to itself, and runs their own affairs, instead of communally working with each other and helping the program as a whole. We have scheduling issues that are somehow OUR fault because different Fine Arts do not communicate with each other, and the auditorium, whose upkeep, I believe, should be the responsibility of those who use it (Fine Arts/Perf. Arts) is falling into disrepair, with only myself and a couple others to slow its' decay.

So, that is a quite lengthy response to the question of why many high schools do not provide tools, or even tool lists for us student technicians.

I don't know if its an SM that they need but rather a TD an SM's duties are generaly far below a TD's duties and are generally able to be performed by students.

In most school districts these days you are not allowed to carry objects that could be considered blunt weapons. In the school district I currently work in that inlcudes your adjustable C-wrench.

Check your school districts policies before carrying anything to school even if you're using it as a tool in the theatre.

The policy in our district is zero tolerance of knives and weapons. Though I'd be lying if i said that I haven't walked through our cafeteria during a lunch period (600 kids approx) wearing a hardhat and tool belt (with wrenches, ratchets, multimeter, utility knife, pliers, ect) and approached the principal and vice principal (as well as the on duty police [we have many fights]) of our school to address them on ongoing work in the theatre. They know me well and my intentions and the work that I do, however I am also aware that if the issue was ever challenged, I'd probably get suspended... Or our administration would be reprimanded for allowing me to be dressed like that when other students are around. I don't do it go get attention or anything, the best time to approach our administrators is during lunch, and often I just came from our theatre. And yea, I also know it'd be easy to pop off the tool belt. I usually just don't because its a 2 minute "hey, how you doin? theatre looks nice, can I have $500?" kinda deal haha.

Yes, I know that people will say I'm the one that ruins it for everyone else. But in perspective, I live in rural West Virginia, and I can honestly say that about 20% of our students carry a knife everyday. In WV, (yes we have shoes, no we aren't hicks) farming and trades are still very common and many people use a knife multiple times in their everyday life. I don't flaunt what I'm wearing or doing. I take the hard hat off and sling it under my arm and speak to my administrators. We talk a few minutes, I go back to work. I don't touch my tools, I don't make a scene. I'm not sure how some theatres in high school work, but at mine I'm still allowed to use a multitude of power tools and other equipment. Just comes with the job here.

Also to clarify, when I use a power tool, I wear all of the proper PPE. I'm talking gloves, glasses (or full face shield if needed), hearing protection (attached to my hard hat), and respirator if the material being worked with kicks up dust. Any time we go to the loading gallery; full body harness. Anytime we are rigging or adjusting fixtures; hard hat. If we are on a ladder; spotters. Bringing in a batten; stage spotters.

Gosh, I keep editing this note to add clarification. I don't want to anger or offend anyone. Also, I should say that we do abide by all of the PPE rules and safety rules. As technical manager, and speaking for my house manager, I am very thankful for the amount of slack we have in our leashes. We are allowed to do many things and learn many things that other students may miss out on. We don't abuse our power, and we only do what we are comfortable in doing. Our school really appreciates our work and values our opinions. We have been authorized to make purchases on behalf of our theatre, and make changes and adjustments to the house and stage as a whole based on our decision. I am very thankful for what my school allows us to do.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier the lack of educated theatre adult figures running the program is not a problem at my school. Along with connections with other fine arts we do pretty good because those in charge understand each others predicaments which is very helpful. Especially because of the musical which combines drama, choir, band, and dance departments from both schools in the district together. So the problem with my schools tool dilemma is probably the fact that the school is so new that the administration isn't focusing as much on us as every thing else. I don't know but what we DO have is very nice and fits are need. And since both the schools in the district work together so well sharing equipment is fine if needed. It also allow kids to work in two different types of spaces since one school is a black box and the author is an auditorium full with catwalk, fly systerm, etc. So even though there is a lack of tools at my school it is still a very nice predicament we are in.

The policy in our district is zero tolerance of knives and weapons. Though I'd be lying if i said that I haven't walked through our cafeteria during a lunch period (600 kids approx) wearing a hardhat and tool belt (with wrenches, ratchets, multimeter, utility knife, pliers, ect) and approached the principal and vice principal (as well as the on duty police [we have many fights]) of our school to address them on ongoing work in the theatre. They know me well and my intentions and the work that I do, however I am also aware that if the issue was ever challenged, I'd probably get suspended... Or our administration would be reprimanded for allowing me to be dressed like that when other students are around. I don't do it go get attention or anything, the best time to approach our administrators is during lunch, and often I just came from our theatre. Also to clarify, when I use a power tool, I wear all of the proper PPE. I'm talking gloves, glasses (or full face shield if needed), hearing protection (attached to my hard hat), and respirator if the material being worked with kicks up dust. Any time we go to the loading gallery; full body harness. Anytime we are rigging or adjusting fixtures; hard hat. If we are on a ladder; spotters. Bringing in a batten; stage spotters.

Don't get me wrong, I won't tell you what I had on my person when I was in HS because...well I'm going to leave it at that. Also you allready have a working relationship with your administration, which is something that we don't know if the OP has. Honestly my best guess is no.

Safety is first, this doesn't always mean your physical saftey but occasionally when still in school your academic and future saftey as well. If you're a new student to theatre coming to a forum asking whats appropriate to be carrying in a theatre you need to know that first you have to have a conversation with your theatre teacher and your administration. Walking around the school with a utility knife, multi tool, lighter, flash light and c-wrench because you read on a forum that those are the most helpful things for you to carry in a theatre is a good way to get kicked out of school.

I don't know if its an SM that they need but rather a TD an SM's duties are generaly far below a TD's duties and are generally able to be performed by students.

Sorry, switched my terms around, just replace SM with TD.

Don't get me wrong, I won't tell you what I had on my person when I was in HS because...well I'm going to leave it at that. Also you allready have a working relationship with your administration, which is something that we don't know if the OP has. Honestly my best guess is no.

Safety is first, this doesn't always mean your physical saftey but occasionally when still in school your academic and future saftey as well. If you're a new student to theatre coming to a forum asking whats appropriate to be carrying in a theatre you need to know that first you have to have a conversation with your theatre teacher and your administration. Walking around the school with a utility knife, multi tool, lighter, flash light and c-wrench because you read on a forum that those are the most helpful things for you to carry in a theatre is a good way to get kicked out of school.

I would say that the most important thing is having a good relationship with your administration. When this issue first came up for us, we went to the principal and head of security and explained the whole situation politely and ended up being allowed to carry multi-tools and such. We were also told, however, that they were only to be used in the theater and related activities (don't whip out the knife at lunch...). We never had any issues which was good. (I'm pretty confident this was mostly due to the fact that we maintained an excellent relationship with the administration...) In summary, when in doubt, ASK first. It's a lot easier to be told no than to end up getting suspended or something bad like that.

So, I'm gonna do something crazy here, now every one bear with me, but I'm going to make a post, and its going to be on topic of the thread! :!:

Buy this tool http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/ldi-2010/22056-video-stage-junks-new-flat-focus-tool.html It was the best $20 I ever spent on a lighting tool, and its not a weapon in any shape or form. :cool:

Alright, now back to spectra telling us about how much cooler he is than all of the rest of us, as well as everyone else in his school. :rolleyes:

I agree fully. I mean... If you are just starting, you should speak with your higher ups and see what is appropriate. I have seen other students that have been suspended for much less than I have. Its always good to know your place (even its just for a short time) and know what is allowable for your particular situation. You can make it by pretty decently with very basic tools, not including a blade. Honestly for most of my work I could make it by with 2 screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench. However, you can stab someone with a screwdriver the same as a knife (and arguably better in some cases..) and you can beat someone with a wrench as it is blunt. I would first try to get those items approved or cleared with your higher ups, they are some of the most useful tools you can have while working in a theatrical setting.

Of course then someone needs to really sit down and think about this stuff because if you are going to consider a C wrench a weapon because you can hit someone with it, well we have large heavy books that you could hit someone with. (public schools at least) You have knives and forks everyday available. I can almost guaranty that every classroom in a high school has scissors in it. I agree that having a multi-tool that has three different kinds of knives and a small saw with you everywhere in a school can be bad. But honestly, at least in high school, you can live without that sort of thing in a theater.

Back to the original topic...
And I think that the only things that I would carry around with me (in the theater) would be gloves because I don't like to get burnt, and a C wrench. Thats my opinion.

... I also have a small lighting wrench on me but I have no idea what it is called. I think it is a mini combo wrench.
Is it a Mega-Combo Wrench?
proxy.php
image.jpg

While it may look cute on a keychain, I've found that, at 2-3/4" long, it's just not big enough to achieve the requisite leverage. On the other hand, the Mongo-Wrench is HUGE, and might be mistaken for a weapon.

I think if we are going to go with bare minimum, all you really need for pretty much any theatrical problem is a C-Wrench, a Phillips driver and a flathead driver. Everything else I list as "needed" is as a result of my job in the theater, but it boils down to things I use every day. I tend to carry a Kline 10-in-1 driver, because its useful, but I also use multiple other drivers during the day, and when I make cables, I use an 18 volt drill-driver. Honestly, although I think zero tolerance policies are a dumb idea, I can see why people think they are needed, and go ahead and implement them. To be smart, just carry a pair of scissors. Most schools allow (if not require) them, and its just as good as a blade to cut tie-line.

For the record, I want a tree-cutting hard hat (with the eyes and the ears taken care of), and the balls to wear it with a utilikilt (just for kicks and ventilation) . Not sure how fast I would get laughed out of my theater for that, but Im guessing under 2 seconds.

For the record, I want a tree-cutting hard hat (with the eyes and the ears taken care of), and the balls to wear it with a utilikilt (just for kicks and ventilation) . Not sure how fast I would get laughed out of my theater for that, but Im guessing under 2 seconds.

OR you would become the trend-setter and notice the growing number of very cool Utilikilts backstage. (up on the catwalk... not so much!)

Workman

OR you would become the trend-setter and notice the growing number of very cool Utilikilts backstage. (up on the catwalk... not so much!)

Workman

Honestly I think the utilikilt would be considered odd but not too odd. The hard hat with built in ear and eye protection would get me laughed out. Honestly looking at it, I sort of think the utilikilt is a very good idea, its well ventilated, moves easily, and is stylish in a "non-conformist" way, rather appropriate for our segment of the industry. Also they show off all of our really handsome lower legs, so the ladies and gentlement that find technicians exotic and attractive can have that idea busted square out of their head.

Being in HS myself, and having browsed this forum for a while now, I can safely say that this problem is WAY too common nowadays, and that is tragic, because a trained technical theater supervisor is a NECESSITY for a theater. It is the same as the need for a TRAINED engineer or maintenance tech, and those are rarely undersupplied in schools, because the administration, both on the school and district level understand the need for them. The need for a trained engineer to keep the lights on is the same as the need for a trained SM to keep the theater in good repair. So, the argument that Fine Arts do not have enough budget money to pay a stage manager could be answered by saying that the SM is an engineer, just like all the others on staff, and thus should be paid out of the engineering budget, or a combination of engineering and Fine Arts.

As you gain more experience you will learn that being an engineer and a stage manager are not the same thing. In many jurisdictions the title "engineer" can only be used by individuals who have completed the licencing examinations defined in law and administered by Engineering Licenceing authorities requiring an engineering degree or equivalent as a pre-requisite. This is not to say that the SM is not a valuable member of the theatre team but do not confuse these roles.

As you gain more experience you will learn that being an engineer and a stage manager are not the same thing. In many jurisdictions the title "engineer" can only be used by individuals who have completed the licencing examinations defined in law and administered by Engineering Licenceing authorities requiring an engineering degree or equivalent as a pre-requisite. This is not to say that the SM is not a valuable member of the theatre team but do not confuse these roles.

I think he was refering to the engineering staff of the school, rather like school districts often have plumbers, electricians, grounds maintence guys, etc, all working for them. Depending on what the job title is, you do have "engineers" who are not in fact PEs, but rather do other roles. For that matter, the average train driver is called an Engineer, and I doubt many of them have PE licences (at least here in the US thats how it works)

Any facility that I have been a part of, be it school, church, government, etc, has referred to these people as "maintenance." It sounds like the term "engineer" in this case is purely ego driven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back