Gobo, how to use?

Sorry to be pedantic, Soxred93, but what you've indicated is a Gobo Holder, not a gobo. (I'm sure you already knew that.;))

Here's a good example of how gobos can add texture and interest to a stage floor, as well as actors moving though them.
proxy.php

It is one of the "trademark" systems that the LD uses. There is a full stage downlight template wash of 26˚ SourceFours lamped at 575W with no color. The template in this show is R77780, in Les Mis it was cobblestone, and I forget what it was in The Producers. Simple and effective.
First off, I lied, they are actually 36˚ units. There are 24 in the system. The trim from deck to batten is 27'. As for why they really punch is probably a combination of factors. The floor treatment for this show happens to take light very well. Many scenes are generally on the dimmer side as we put a lot of people in followspots. This allows us to be more "artsy" with the rest of the design. We don't even have to run that system very hot to get the pattern to punch.

Here's what it looks like in the catalog:
proxy.php

PNTA On-Line - Detail1 - R77780 - 77780 Dense Leaves Det Rosco Pattern - "B" size - Gels, Filters & Gobos - - PNTA On-Line

Gobo Visualizer is an online tool that allows one to choose a gobo, rotate it, stack two, color, and blur the edge. Moiré Gobo Library is a similar app for the iPhone.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! I am glad that is an ellipsoidal because that is what the fixtures we have do look like. I just know they look like that, some have gels, and are all rectangular in shape (none are round as newer ones appear to be).

Hopefully for our Showcase I will be able to convince them to let us atleast purchase a gobo to try out. Another question, are they easy to "install" or put in the holder in the type of light that is pictured?

I am only asking because it is a pain to use our lift to go up to get the light and bring it down, and then a bigger pain to focus and adjust the position the light using the lift. But if its easy to put in a gobo then I could use that to convince them to let us get a gobo to try.

Thanks again everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not necessary to even take the light down. Just slide it in right into the slot next to the shutters. Then you can do your (de)focusing right from the lift.

OK, the guy who does the work in the lift will be able to do that then. I am not allowed in the lift because I am not 18, but it should be very easy to install them then.

I really hope they are ellipsoidals and not some other rectangular light that looks like that, I know it has those 2 "sliders" from the picture though.

I would love to order a cheap gobo online to have before we go into tech and all but I haven't seen the show or script, so I have no idea what gobos would be good to use. Hopefully there will be a gobo that will "fit" for what I need as I don't want to buy a random gobo just to use it. I hope to find a gobo that we can use with the scenery or a gobo to fit into one of the songs to maybe project a window or clouds, or anything.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Perhaps this video, from our friends at Apollo, can help to clarify some things.

The light you have pictured is the Altman 1KL ellipsoidal (now discontinued). See the WIKI entry on it. Most people think negatively of it, but it will do the job.

Rectangular doesn't necessarily mean old, they're just less common. Some of the oldest lights I have ever seen had the cylindrical shape, and a few newer ones are box-shaped (see ETC Source Four Zoom, and instruments by Times Square Lighting).

I'm glad you now know what you have! Now you just need to find the appropriate size gobo and holders!

Les, any idea on how I find out what size gobo and holder I would need?

I cant get to the lights myself because I am not allowed to use the lift (since I am not 18) so I dont know how to find out what we would need.

No one, that I know of, would know at the school, so I guess I may be stuck again with this. :(

I believe you would need a size B, but since this light is discontinued it is hard to find info on it. What I would do is when you call to place your order just tell them what instrument you're using (Altman 1KL) and they should be able to give you the correct size gobo and holder. Though not a favorite light by many, it definitely isn't what I'd call obscure.

OK, I will do that, thanks Les!
EDIT: I called a guy whom I work with on my high school shows and he said every light we have in that area (about 30 fixtures) can take a gobo and we have the holders already. We even have a few gobos too, so I just need to convince the director that we should use some gobos for the Showcase show. I just have to see the show a bit to decide what gobos would be good because right now, not knowing the show, I have no idea what gobos may fit for the show.

Back to that small theater I am doing a play at....they have no ellipsoidals so we are looking to purchase this:

GoboMan Projector 75 Watt - Gobos, Custom Gobos, Wedding Gobos, Gobo Projectors, Glass Gobos to use just for that show with a gobo from that site.

I called them to ask a few questions about it, and they said it plugs intoa regular wall outlet, so my question is, it cannot be run from their basic light board then, correct?

Thank you!

Last edited:
OK, I will do that, thanks Les!
EDIT: I called a guy whom I work with on my high school shows and he said every light we have in that area (about 30 fixtures) can take a gobo and we have the holders already. We even have a few gobos too, so I just need to convince the director that we should use some gobos for the Showcase show. I just have to see the show a bit to decide what gobos would be good because right now, not knowing the show, I have no idea what gobos may fit for the show.

Back to that small theater I am doing a play at....they have no ellipsoidals so we are looking to purchase this:

GoboMan Projector 75 Watt - Gobos, Custom Gobos, Wedding Gobos, Gobo Projectors, Glass Gobos to use just for that show with a gobo from that site.

I called them to ask a few questions about it, and they said it plugs intoa regular wall outlet, so my question is, it cannot be run from their basic light board then, correct?

Thank you!

It can be dimmed if you have an adapter from a regular "edison" plug to a stage pin or twist lock plug. Then the adapter is plugged into one of your circuits controlled by the board.

However, I would strongly recommend not using that product. It is only 75 watts and will probably not be able to be seen on stage surrounded by 575w or 750w fixtures. Also, that takes a custom Q size gobo.

JackMVHS is correct. The only thing that I will add to his post is that if this unit has a built in transformer (highly likely), it should not be dimmed or plugged in to a dimmer.

OK, thanks for that. We wont use that then, we are now looking at renting a ellipsdoials for the show?

And I am VERY happy that my school has lights that can take gobos, so I just have to find a good use for them in our next show and convince the director to let me purchase some. Heck, I would purchase some with my money since they seem fairly cheap.

Heck yeah man, renting is always a great option! It will also give you a change to become acquainted with your local lighting shop, which can be invaluable.

I'd be careful about offering to buy your own gobos. Since this is an educational entity, they should provide you with the tools necessary to learn. Believe me, they have the money to spare, so don't give in to them!

OK, I will not mention buying them myself Les.

Tomorrow, I meet with the directors and will mention the gobo idea to them.
We can rent the light for fairly cheap and buy the gobo for cheap.

Its just a matter of deciding which gobo we want to use and if we would use it for a scene or in place of the blackout in between scenes.

Right now, they wanted Scene 1, blackout, Scene 2, blackout, and the blackout can be replaced with something more interesting-even if its not a gobo.

Most of the play is outside, so I am thinking we can use the fixture above center stage in the fly space area and then have a breakup gobo to make it seem like light is coming through the branches of the trees and all.

Does that sound good? And does the light have to be placed directly above the stage in order for the "light coming through tree" look to work?

They are going to think about the gobo idea but it seems that they wont end up using it.

They dont want to spend the money to rent the fixture and purchase the gobo, even though it can be done for under $100.

So I will see, but at this point they think the idea of a brekaup/tree gobo is "neat" but nothing more. :(

If you can get your hands on some type of hard-edged focusable lighting fixture, you can tease them with a hand made pie tin tree. Sometimes it takes a little priming to get the pump to flow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back