Conventional Fixtures HELP Strand LEKO 2200 Series Missing Parts

Just shove! But once they've come out, it's next to impossible to get them to permanently stay with the fixture. Stupidest design ever.

From above:
The shutters are too easily removable, to the point of falling out accidentally.
Be careful, as the shutters have a tendency to fall out.
I'll tell the story again...
So we were working in a new (to us) venue. I was in the FOH catwalk to focus. LD called for a shutter cut off the proscenium. I reached for it, and it wasn't there! I yelled back, "Hold on, I have to go find a shutter." LD got that confused, puppy dog look on his face, and said, "Okaaay." Pulled an unused one from an adjacent fixture and inserted it. Later, when I got down I explained how easily-removable and lost the shutters become. This was the same day I had to call my Strand rep. to ask how to get the %^&* lamp burner out.

Last edited:
Hello there, went through a bunch of older equipment, repaired what could be repaired and donated other stuff. We are changing over to ETC S4 leko but still have a bunch of Strand Lekos in use in our two high school theatre spaces. Does anyone know of a source for parts for these lekos? The lamp cap is held in place with a friction catch aluminum custom nut that you can set for bench focusing, then remove the end cap without changing the lamp focus. Looking for a few of these nuts. Also need several shutters to make a few more units useable. The shutters come out way too easily for my taste, might be why they are missing. The handles have double holes. Finally, looking for 50 degree lens barrels or actual glass to replace broken ones.
Including an image of a sample leko incase someone might have any laying around.
STRAND_LEKO20_LG.jpg

Hello there, went through a bunch of older equipment, repaired what could be repaired and donated other stuff. We are changing over to ETC S4 leko but still have a bunch of Strand Lekos in use in our two high school theatre spaces. Does anyone know of a source for parts for these lekos? The lamp cap is held in place with a friction catch aluminum custom nut that you can set for bench focusing, then remove the end cap without changing the lamp focus. Looking for a few of these nuts. Also need several shutters to make a few more units useable. The shutters come out way too easily for my taste, might be why they are missing. The handles have double holes. Finally, looking for 50 degree lens barrels or actual glass to replace broken ones.
Including an image of a sample leko incase someone might have any laying around.

Your best bet might be to take all your broken/incomplete units and cannibalize them to make as many whole ones as possible. I'm not sure if you can buy parts for these — I doubt it. You might peruse eBay from time to time – I do see them come up (usually over-priced). But if you could find a few, you could accumulate some parts.

As for glass lenses, you can probably buy these. I know Altman did 4.5(diameter)x6.5(focal length) lens for their 50° 360Q and it had a unique reducer in the lens tube to facilitate this. I'm not sure how Strand did it; whether it was similar or some kind of dual lens system. But I know a few companies like Production Advantage sell lenses.

The shutters can be fabricated out of stainless steel. Probably best for a sheetmetal shop, or you could try your luck with an Altman shutter and insulated fiber grip.

Not sure about the aluminum nut you're referring to (I've never dug in to these fixtures). Can you post a picture? I'd be curious to see if it's something a machine shop could do, or if a fastener company could come up with a workable solution. Otherwise, that might be your limiting factor unless you find some donor units from another source.

Your best bet might be to take all your broken/incomplete units and cannibalize them to make as many whole ones as possible. I'm not sure if you can buy parts for these — I doubt it. You might peruse eBay from time to time – I do see them come up (usually over-priced). But if you could find a few, you could accumulate some parts.

As for glass lenses, you can probably buy these. I know Altman did 4.5(diameter)x6.5(focal length) lens for their 50° 360Q and it had a unique reducer in the lens tube to facilitate this. I'm not sure how Strand did it; whether it was similar or some kind of dual lens system. But I know a few companies like Production Advantage sell lenses.

The shutters can be fabricated out of stainless steel. Probably best for a sheetmetal shop, or you could try your luck with an Altman shutter and insulated fiber grip.

Not sure about the aluminum nut you're referring to (I've never dug in to these fixtures). Can you post a picture? I'd be curious to see if it's something a machine shop could do, or if a fastener company could come up with a workable solution. Otherwise, that might be your limiting factor unless you find some donor units from another source.
@Les I can't speak to this particular Strand unit but I know their 2204 in their 2209, 2212, 2216 and 2112 series used the funnel style reducer and housed a single 4.5 x 6.5 lens. When Strand sold the initial inventory of 242 Leko's to Hamilton's Theatre Aquarius upon its opening in the fall of '91, they swore up and down that every Leko was rated for FEL's. I kept cracking the rear lenses in the 2209's and shattering the single lens in the 2204's. Eventually Ms. Donna Appleton, then President of Strand Century Canada, tired of shipping replacement lenses gratis as warranty replacements and we agreed to lamp the 4.5's down to EGF's or whatever the 3200 degree 750 Watt lamp was. Very few of the rear lenses in the 2209's were failing but the 4.5's just weren't lasting any length of time at all with the heat of the 1K's.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Les

The alumium nut is attached with a set thumbscrew when you bench focus the lamp. Then if you need to change the lamp, you turn the base and it pops off of the nut. The you don't loose your bench focus when you reinsert the base.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back