Hi All...

Hi all, I am new to this board and this industry. I work for a trade show and we are getting more and more into lighting. Mostly we use professionals but some stuff we do in house. Mostly LED stuff.
I have a couple old stage light fixtures that I think I want to sell, Can you tell me where would be a good place to look to find out what the they are worth ? One is a 16 X 16 X 10 capital fixture with stand and the other two are 20" round Otto Kolesen fixtures on floor stands. Thanks for any advise you guys can give me.

IMG_1109 - Copy.JPG IMG_1154 - Copy.JPG

They're never worth as much as you think they are. Search for similar items on eBay.
... and the other two are 20" round Otto Kolesen fixtures on floor stands. ...
Should be "Otto K. Olesen," not "Otto Kolesen." http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/otto-k-olesen-portable-spot-light-need-help-identifying.31967/

Our resident fixture expert @ship should be along shortly.

As for the other, our wiki seems to have lost the pdf catalog attachments to Capitol Stage Lighting Co.. Your light may be on page 12 or 13 of this 1937 catalog.
(Catalog file is too large (8.1Mb) for our new software; PM me your email address if you want the whole thing.)
capitol_no16_pp12_13.jpg

The tripod mounted fixture is cool. Might be popular for steampunk fans.

The Capotol catalog above was 1937, I have the catalog open now. I note the base for it is not original, it's a normal / more modern 40# base from say the 50's thru today. The knobs and stand pipe are probably original up to the missing cable hook. The rosette side mount however (not shown) obviously has problems as the fixture should be hanging perpendicular. Could be a different brand assembly not fitting or something wrong in the mount. I see this a lot in old rosette side mount fixtures. I also note that it is similar to but not the same fixture to any 1937 Capitol fixture - note that there is no slide for focus on the bottom of the fixture. No broom handle sticking out the bottom as the easy tell along with no slot. Also the top latch - assuming that thing sticking up above the fixture is part of it, isn't similar. Question comes up, how does it focus? Could be some sort of knob near the bundle of cable for rear slide without out tension or with screw tension similar to how a carbon arc works. Short of more pictures, hard to tell. Date for it, somewhere between say 1916 and 1928 based on other similar brands. Gotta get my 'Word Perfect' fixted... update my antique inventory and access my files like the date Capitol opened up. Should be around the later 1920's if I remember correctly but others can fact check that for now. So first generation PC c.1928 rough guess for now on the fixture and stand missing parts for a date.

On the second fixture ibid... on my notes for when companies started... Looks like by way of yoke type it's from the 50's thru 70's, tripod mount if from Olesen would place it earlier. Again more photos are needed for better placing of it, and given it's a studio fixture - it is not really my expertise as it were, but I have a lot of Moles in stock. Given the ?shutter leafs covering the lens, hard to tell what it is and what is going on there. 20" for the lens, I'm thinking so far that this is more of a beam projector than a Fresnel.

You work on presenting more photos, I'll work on getting my computer working correctly after "upgraded."

E-Bay is the normal place these things are sold if not auctions, hard to figure a value it would sell for - depends upon what month it's on the market, what condition it's in that the photos are not sufficient for. $500.00 might sell or not, and or go up from there into say $800 dependant. Or could be worth $250 with stand. Question for me comes up, why are you selling them? Not a lot of money in resale value for gear bought, more value as "prop lights" for the trade show industry industry you work in. This even if at some point you have to very carefully remove all the gizzards from the fixtures (carefully and note where everything goes.) Than you install something more viable or even a color changing LED fixture into the prop light. That or just hold onto them as office decoration. I really recommend not selling them.

You're in Vegas you must have lots of prop rental shops. What about places that specialize in unique items for decor, I think I remember driving past a couple of interesting looking places on the strip on the way downtown. Call around and see if any of them are interested in buying. Heck call the pawn shop and maybe you can sell them and get on the show. Put it up on Craig's list for an absurd amount and see what kind of offers you get. You live in one of the best places in the world to sell those.

You would likely have more luck trying to sell it to the film community than the theater

If that happens, I nominate @ship to be Rick's "buddy who knows all about those things".
Indeed! No not for Les, but there is some estiments real world that can be gotten from such a quote. I know in detail the fixtures, but market value is what they might know. Again though, don't sell them. Much more useful to you as prop for your industry or sitting in the lobby as a display and ready for show usage.

Reactions: Les
IMG_1146.JPG Capitol (9).JPG Capitol (12).JPG Capitol (13).JPG Capitol (14).JPG IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1146.JPG
They're never worth as much as you think they are. Search for similar items on eBay.
Should be "Otto K. Olesen," not "Otto Kolesen." http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/otto-k-olesen-portable-spot-light-need-help-identifying.31967/

Our resident fixture expert @ship should be along shortly.

As for the other, our wiki seems to have lost the pdf catalog attachments to Capitol Stage Lighting Co.. Your light may be on page 12 or 13 of this 1937 catalog.
(Catalog file is too large (8.1Mb) for our new software; PM me your email address if you want the whole thing.)View attachment 10968

Thanks
derekleffew. Can you send me the PDF catalog? My email address is [email protected]. Do you think if I took them down to that pawn shop that is on TV they would have some that could appraise them?

Got my Word Perfect upgrade.

Capitol Stage Lighting Company
, Started in 1929.
Otto K. Oleson Illuminating Company, Started in the early 1930's

The Capitol fixture date is about 1929 or early 1930's. What you have for sure is not the 1937 version shown in the catalog. Strange that in 1929 they were using carbon arc rear castings plus the side access door normally - both only for accessing the carbon arc rods.. I have lots of other brands of PC that between 1911 and 1929 had already switched to the more classic bottom slide focus. Most brands by than also switched to a rear access door for changing the lamp - made for a much stronger frame. I do have one Chicago Cinema Equipment 5.1/4" PC fixture with all the above the same, but I also know that it’s from 1911 and right when the nitrogen higher wattage lamp was invented thus converting carbon arc fixtures into incandescent ones. Theory I have about your fixture is Capitol started out their line of PC fixtures with another brand of light’s used and discontinued castings and molds which was a very common practice in the industry I find up until the 1970's.

Pull the wiring and what ever ?pendant light is inside the fixture, it adds no value, but is nice the asbestos has been removed. I know for sure I have a fixture with the same style of cord grip but don’t remember which.

Looks like it was once fully painted from your pictures. That paint was removed which possibly doesn’t detract from it’s value too much’ given a "classic industrial age" or "steam punk" buyer, but would for someone wanting it either in original or properly restored condition. Base even if not all the original parts are there still helps. I don’t own a PC of that brand but do own a [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] Olivalitte of the same period and brand (page 4) and it was fully painted. Paint on mine was in bad enough condition I did have to remove and match the original finish.

Would like if you want to share more about the fixture three or four more photos. 1) open the door and let’s see inside. 2&3 ) still no photos from the rosette mounting side and what is going on there as far as the odd angle the light is hanging at. 4) a better photo of the hinged side towards the top as a more close up of what type of latch for the door is being shown.

Cool light, again I would recommend not selling it. The amount of money you get off of selling it would only buy a few fixtures of pieces of gear, and in the long run years later you will probably regret having sold it off. This both as a lobby art piece and for show use as a prop light housing say a color changing LED fixture. (A few prop lights like this could pay for themselves in a few years in doing shows.) I have even pimped some of this era of fixture out in the past - fresh paint, shined up bright work, replacement of all fasteners with brass ones, lamp socket adaptor to medium screw with socket extender to mount a 400G30/SP lamp or color changing LED lamp. Osram so far makes the best of them by way of dimmer/fade curve and color correctness. Too bad they discontinued the G-30 version (or was that a G-40), because it will have been perfect for this application. Otherwise if you don’t have the antique lamp for it, there is a medium screw G-40 reproduction lamp on the market which has virtually the same filament as will have originally been used in the fixture. I would have to check which brand it is, but I do have one. Don’t buy an antique lamp - bought one in the past, filament broke in transport.

The Oleson light I would change my date given all of the bronze fittings. I don’t own any fixtures of that brand and this has been polished up so much one wouldn’t be able to tell if it had paint on it. Most likely it did to prevent corrosion and stray light off of it reflectance - was supposed to be a tool not a show piece. Kind of like the chromed Pratt 32's one constantly sees on E-Bay. I would date it to as old as Oleson is confirmed to be - early 1930's thru say mid-1930's at most. Bronze parts were not much seen as aluminum castings more and more replaced them. I have a 1936 Mole Richardson 2K Fresnel on stand in stock that by than was using aluminum castings for just about all parts yours has as bronze.

Interesting fixture you have, it’s called a "flood light" by the way at least in theater terms - studio/film industry might call it something else. Flood lights were kind of like Fresnels in the day before Fresnels were invented. They would or wouldn’t have a reflector just as PC’s did or didn’t (double image), they were mostly an accessory but one that studio gear like you have will have most likely had - my Fresnel has one. The Floodlight is kind of like a combination of a wide flood PAR can (without the oval beam) and a Fresnel but open faced (no lens) beam will do w/o lens. The Fresnel lens cleaned up the harsh edge to the beam but it was still soft. The floodlight will have used a bulb dia. sized PC or Fresnel like convex reflector behind it which was probably in a studio gear priced piece a silvered steel reflector given the price such fixtures went/go for.

Or it could possibly be a form of a large X-Ray projector dependant on the reflector. In quick web research tonight I noted something about Oleson having some such light in acting something like a search light. I have a National X-Ray Reflector Company X-Ray Projectorfrom 1911 which was famous up until beam projectors were invented (when ever that was). Only main difference between the X-Ray and a beam projector is that there is no filament shield (or lens), no baffles and the X-Ray is slightly longer than a Fresnel body. Beam projectors are often slightly shorter than a Fresnel body and have the baffles and filament shield.

Same concept in beam projector or even ACL lamp, National X-Ray’s silvered reflectors were famous in the industry for quality, the term "X-Ray" comes from this light. It made a parallel beam of light. My X-Ray unfortunately was missing it’s reflector... that’s the most important part in that I have a feeling it’s reflector was a little more concave than that of a spherical reflector on a Fresnel/PC fixture.

Given the body length of your Oleson light, my guess is it’s a flood light but two more photos would tell more. First from the rear in seeing what’s going on there, perhaps on the flat spot even a model number and serial number, than the second and most important - lamp off and from the front. With lamp and without lamp and better yet, anything that’s been installed inside of it. (Can tell by the wiring coming out of it something has been changed in a much less wattage way.)

Value... Again with above, "industrial age" or "steam punk" type of fixture how it is. Studio fixtures don’t have a lot of vintage value to them unless there is collectors of them which I am sure there is but that would be other forums. Large fixtures take up a lot of square footage in general so they miss out on half the collector market by way of not being able to fit on a book shelf. On the other hand, those that have the square footage to display them, also often have the money to pay for them and your Oleson has the pop and bling that might sell. As with the above PC fixtures I once binged out, you would want to ensure now that it is fresh bright work, it doesn’t oxidize and worse yet rust. Replace all fasteners with shiny brass ones, polish up further and clear coat the exposed parts bronze and steel. At that point I would do the lamp socket and its assembly original and as above socket adaptor and extender them to a vintage modern or color changing LED lamp. On both if trying to best sell for moderized spit and polished antique, I would go vintage for the wiring. Would have to ground it in making it safe - not a problem to do and won’t detract from any standard of value. Could do a fuzzy fiberglass sleeved MTW wiring that looks like asbestos - now braided and into an Edison plug, but it would look messy and not allow for a ground. I save that method for carbon arc spotlights. Better solution is sold by Anixter Wire & Cable http://www.anixter.comhttp://www.anxter.com They have a 12/3 cable that’s varnished fiberglass sleeved heat wire which is about the size of 12/3 SO cable. Looks really vintage old, not very flexible but will work great as reproduction wiring.

The stand on this fixture is amazing! Wouldn’t mind seeing a closeup of where the yoke mounts to it and a scroll down to what support arms etc. are about it’s base. Fairly certain it’s not a surveyor’s stand as often married to an old lighting fixture so as to say it’s on a stand. Looks like something that came with the fixture, but your photos than don’t do it justice. Again will probably have been painted but selling a bright work item has bling and might be worth money. I have a bright brass rolling stand from 1911 (bought a lot of stuff from the same theater), seen on-line the same stand sold for hundreds of dollars. Difference is that mine has patina and was never refinished, plus has it’s casters. I preserved without removing patina what on a stand was bright work instead of exposed it as I would think has been done. Again perhaps not a problem but could hurt it’s antique value for that part of the market.

Ibid... again, don’t sell them. Worth endlessly more to you than you can sell them for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back