I'm speechless!

I still prefer the traditional lanterns, I don't think LED technology has developed enough to take over lighting!

The Parco 336 LED Has 8 DMX channels.

1 - Master dimmer
2 - Red
3 - Green
4 - Blue
5 - Amber
6 - White
7 - Speed
8 - Macro colors, chase sequences, strobe and audio active

Longman is the manufacturer and the RGBAW fixtures are being built to our specifications.

Next week I'll have use of the local auditorium and will take pictures comparing the fixtures to an Altman's 575 Star Par. I'll post the results in this thread.

Our economy 36 X one watt RGBAW fixture, the TyLED-136 RGBAW

proxy.php

Also available in a 3w version - TyLED-336 RGBAW

BTW, I'm re-naming all of the new fixtures to start with TyLED. In honor of my grandson, the LIGHT of my life.

Wow, I was not aware ETC was making LED pars! That thing would blend in perfectly with the S4 pars I have in my rig right now! I can't wait to get my hands on some. Do you have any figures on light output from the fixture or how well it will blend with its big brother, the S4 par?

Actually, this is not an ETC. The case design is similar, being a popularly cloned casting. Many other LED pars and incandescnet models share this design. Behringer (Ultra Par, if it's still around), American DJ (Opti Par) and Elation (Opti RGB - LED) being a few that I can think of off-hand.

I still prefer the traditional lanterns, I don't think LED technology has developed enough to take over lighting!

Depends on what you're looking for.

I went to a show on Friday (featuring our very own Tex ) and they used LED pars for some close range color washes and I was thoroughly impressed. It was a small space (the show took place in a medium sized auditorium but the audience was seated on stage) but the punch of the LEDs could have been just as effective had we been seated further away in the house. The color was good, and the beam seemed very even. Could have easily fooled me in to thinking there were par cans or fresnels up there, except for the fact that I looked up. I don't know what models these were, but they looked like the traditional LED par can. Sure, they're not ready to "take over", but they have proven very useful -- even indispensable to some mobile event lighting designers. Go run a wedding in an unconventional space with incandescent lighting, then do the same with LED. Tell me which one you prefer at the end of the night. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if this would really be the thread to introduce this idea/concept to but as people are talking about LED's why not. I was meeting with a concert lighting designer and was using LED "Pars" but he would not call them Pars and said he wished they would not be referred to as "Pars" for 2 reasons. 1, they are not producing a parabolic beam and 2, by definition as we all probably know P.A.R stand for Parabolic Aluminum Reflector and LEDs are non of these. It seems LED Pars are closer to fresnels with the focusing ability, more of a soft focus spot. Just something to consider I think.

Off topic, but I'll bite. I agree and disagree. I do agree that they are not PARs for the simple reason stated, they do not have parabolic aluminized reflectors, however, I disagree with the fresnel bit. If you are not calling them PARs then you cannot call them fresnels either because they don't have a fresnel lens. But, I also disagree that the light they output is more similar to a fresnel's than a PAR's. A fresnel beam of light, while soft, has a pretty clear hotspot and then smoothly tapers off as you get closer to the outside edge. A PAR on the otherhand is a much more flat beam that is pretty much the same intensity out to the edge where it drops off suddenly. The LEDs I have worked with beams do more resemble that of a PAR than a fresnel. If you want to get technical, no, they shouldn't be called PARs, but should probably be called "wash" fixtures or something, but I think the nomenclature has developed because the PAR is the type of fixture one would normally replace with the LED "wash."

My $.02
-Tim

Last edited:
I believe they took on the name of LED Pars because many of the original offerings were built using an empty Par can and simply inserting the diodes and electronics. If you look at the last picture I posted, you will indeed see that is indeed a Par can housing. If I were to remove the PCB I could easily drop an FFR lamp into it.

I've never heard of a parabolic beam ;)

[HIJACK]
It is a photonics thing.
proxy.php

To quote an abstract:
Miguel A. Bandres said:
We demonstrate the existence of parabolic beams that constitute the last member of the family of fundamental nondiffracting wave fields and determine their associated angular spectrum. Their transverse structure is described by parabolic cylinder functions, and contrary to Bessel or Mathieu beams their eigenvalue spectrum is continuous. Any nondiffracting beam can be constructed as a superposition of parabolic beams, since they form a complete orthogonal set of solutions of the Helmholtz equation. A novel class of traveling parabolic waves is also introduced for the first time.
[/HIJACK]

I went to a show on Friday (featuring our very own Tex ) and they used LED pars for some close range color washes and I was thoroughly impressed. It was a small space (the show took place in a medium sized auditorium but the audience was seated on stage) but the punch of the LEDs could have been just as effective had we been seated further away in the house. The color was good, and the beam seemed very even. Could have easily fooled me in to thinking there were par cans or fresnels up there, except for the fact that I looked up. I don't know what models these were, but they looked like the traditional LED par can. Sure, they're not ready to "take over", but they have proven very useful -- even indispensable to some mobile event lighting designers. Go run a wedding in an unconventional space with incandescent lighting, then do the same with LED. Tell me which one you prefer at the end of the night. ;)
Thanks for the plug, Les! I don't get to act much anymore and this was BIG fun.
Those were Elation ELED TRI 64B's. We used 4 of them and I was also impressed with the punch and the coverage. They also have both 5 pin and 3 pin connectors which makes the fixtures themselves a turn around. This was the first time I've used them and I couldn't believe the difference between these and the ADJ LED not really PAR's that I had at my former school. As far as LED's go, I think you really do get what you pay for. A couple hundred more for each fixture can make a big difference.

... They also have both 5 pin and 3 pin connectors which makes the fixtures themselves a turn around. ...
(Please excuse the pedanticism...)
A turnaround has the same connector and sex on each end, a gender-changer. Your fixtures could act as adapters.
Just one of my many (too many!) pet peeves, along with
not specifying the male end first and,
<what the console outputs> to <what the dimmers want> for protocol converters.
(/sorry)

Use of the word (or acronym, to be more precise) PAR to define a light fixture, which is not specifically a PAR, is pretty common. It's one of those words like Kleenex and Xerox. Those Puffs Plus are not Kleenex and that Nokia copier isn't made by Xerox, but everyone knows what you mean.

And now back to the original topic.

Bill, curious if you have any photos of the actual output of those fixtures? Say compared to a couple other products which have comparable street prices or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back