LED lighting, I'm the DUMMIE!!

Wow! You have introduced a slew of variables that makes this a scary endeaver. It's fine if they have inhouse engineers but you need an industry professional to look at it, and I mean look at it. That roof needs to be able to move up and down according to weather.

No, not purchased yet and we know how dangerous it can be. The owner of this place owns a fairly large commercial construction company (mostly large defense industry work) and has engineers and a huge fabrication plant. The only way they are able to build this thing at a cost no else could afford. I trust their engineers know how to design this thing. I am currently getting all the weights that this needs to support.

Not a traditional roof, they want to use outdoor sails.

Yes, it will also support 4 speakers.

They are doing the wind loads for the sails and all the weight loads for the equipment and designing for 1.5 times the total load. This project is way over what the average place could afford because they do everything "in house".
Doug

There is no way it's cheaper to design, engineer, fabricate and certify in house than to buy a used system from somewhere else.

Chauvet makes a Colorado line of LED that are IP 66 rated (outdoor) that work well. The price isn't bad either. I've install hundreds of the Colorado I & 3 with great success. I know the product line has changed some over the last year or so but think they are still available.

PLASA developed a couple of ANSI standards that may be applicable, E1.21 - 2006 for temporary outdoor structures for entertainment and E1.2 - 2000 for truss used in entertainment applications. These will be important documents for the engineers and they may not know about them if they are not typically involved in the entertainment industry. They contain the wisdom of many people with many years of experience on how to engineer such items. Knowing next to nothing about the project, I can't say if the documents will apply or not, but it sounds like they may.

Codes in various areas differ and they may or may not be required by local code to comply with ANSI, but "the industry" strongly recommends they do. In the event of an accident, and clearly after this summer accidents do happen, not being compliant with an applicable standard could make a bad situation very very bad.

The documents can be purchased from PLASA.org or direct from ANSI.

No, not purchased yet and we know how dangerous it can be. The owner of this place owns a fairly large commercial construction company (mostly large defense industry work) and has engineers and a huge fabrication plant. The only way they are able to build this thing at a cost no else could afford. I trust their engineers know how to design this thing.
Doug

They may know what they're doing, but that may expose the owners to insurance issues. If someone who is not certified in this type of build is not consulted, the insurance carrier may tell you they won't cover it no matter who designed and built it. It's a question the owners should consider.

Re: Stage Dimensions

Here are the dimensions:

30ft wide x 15ft deep

We want to put the truss 15ft above stage height.

We have two 20 amp circuits, on for the front and one for the back.

This is an outdoor stage.

One of the things I have to keep in mind is that we have to have outdoor fixtures. I have done some research and they do make outdoor LED fixtures. We will bring the light board in when not having a show.

If anybody has any ideas on the truss height please comment. The stage dimensions are set in stone, literally.

Doug

BTW: Good luck on your search... see if you can demo boards and lights before you buy. Plus, in addition to previous comments, there are also DMX relay packs that are wireless. You could set a transmitter at the board location and the DMX signal can go to each truss independently. All the signals will route as if you've wired it.

:)

Re: Stage Dimensions

Thanks for the wireless tip, had no idea they had a wireless system.

BTW: Good luck on your search... see if you can demo boards and lights before you buy. Plus, in addition to previous comments, there are also DMX relay packs that are wireless. You could set a transmitter at the board location and the DMX signal can go to each truss independently. All the signals will route as if you've wired it.

:)

So now that we are getting a real sense of the scale of this project. I think it's VERY foolish to not have the assistance of a theater consultant and a rigging expert. I think most of us were thinking you were talking about hanging a few LED's in a small club. Nothing on this scale.

The most dangerous theatrical situations we commonly see happen because someone thinks they know what they are doing and doesn't. It's amazing how many people fall to their death each year doing flying special effects that they "know are safe" because someone is a rock climbing expert... not a theatrical flight expert. Your boss may have a shop full of amazing engineers but if they aren't rigging experts they don't understand all the potential dangers. I suggest you contact Jay Glerum or Bill Sapsis immediately. They are THE two top rigging experts in the industry. They can either help you or get you in touch with someone in your area that can be trusted.

Do you plan for touring acts being able use the space? If yes then you should think about only purchasing equipment that is standard in a touring rider. Much of what has been discussed so far would not be excepted by a concert tour.

Thanks Gafftaper,
I have told them I am not qualified for this thing. The venue only seats 100 people max and I don't think they need all the truss etc. I don't think we are going to be able to get any touring acts, might be wrong, but the place is small. The owners are going to pay the grand opening band $10,000 and have me tasked on finding one that "people have heard of". I told them no one that "people have heard of" play for $10,000 and we need to find a really good non-recording band. Really trying to explain to them the ins and out of this thing, and not making much headway.
Doug

So now that we are getting a real sense of the scale of this project. I think it's VERY foolish to not have the assistance of a theater consultant and a rigging expert. I think most of us were thinking you were talking about hanging a few LED's in a small club. Nothing on this scale.

The most dangerous theatrical situations we commonly see happen because someone thinks they know what they are doing and doesn't. It's amazing how many people fall to their death each year doing flying special effects that they "know are safe" because someone is a rock climbing expert... not a theatrical flight expert. Your boss may have a shop full of amazing engineers but if they aren't rigging experts they don't understand all the potential dangers. I suggest you contact Jay Glerum or Bill Sapsis immediately. They are THE two top rigging experts in the industry. They can either help you or get you in touch with someone in your area that can be trusted.

Do you plan for touring acts being able use the space? If yes then you should think about only purchasing equipment that is standard in a touring rider. Much of what has been discussed so far would not be excepted by a concert tour.

Thanks Gafftaper,
I told them no one that "people have heard of" play for $10,000 and we need to find a really good non-recording band. Really trying to explain to them the ins and out of this thing, and not making much headway.
Doug

It depends on who and what. Chuck Berry used to get $3k a night. You get a band who knows his set list. You provide PA and lighting. You do everything. He flies in, plugs in and rips through his set. After, he grabs his cash and is gone. And the last time I saw him, 2 - 3 years ago, he was still crushing it.

I think KC and the Sunshine Band can be had for under $10K. Again, your PA, but they have a pretty big lighting rider, way bigger than your 24 LED par rig.

I'll bet you could get Tommy TuTone for $10K. Fact is, you could probably get a lot of "name" artists for $10K. Call a few talent agencies in a major city, like Chicago, Miami, LA, NYC, etc.

Thanks so much!! I have talked to a Memphis talent agency and one from Little Rock. They were giving me names like Black Oak Arkansas, a Journey cover band, and a few others no one has heard of for that kind of money.

It depends on who and what. Chuck Berry used to get $3k a night. You get a band who knows his set list. You provide PA and lighting. You do everything. He flies in, plugs in and rips through his set. After, he grabs his cash and is gone. And the last time I saw him, 2 - 3 years ago, he was still crushing it.

I think KC and the Sunshine Band can be had for under $10K. Again, your PA, but they have a pretty big lighting rider, way bigger than your 24 LED par rig.

I'll bet you could get Tommy TuTone for $10K. Fact is, you could probably get a lot of "name" artists for $10K. Call a few talent agencies in a major city, like Chicago, Miami, LA, NYC, etc.

I just sent the OP a private message but thought that others here could benefit, or shoot holes in, some of my suggestions so I will repost part of the message here.

I am intrigued about the design for the truss, have you considered doing square truss set up in an overhead square, with 4 square truss legs? This setup would give the look of a rock and roll stage while offering great support and many different levels of use. If you have a house band in that preforms just with the house system then you have it already hung. If you have touring shows in that bring their own lights (or you rent some for their show) then you have an infrastructure to handle said show. A similar setup to this, http://www.bridgat.com/files/singlerow_trusscircular_trussroof_truss.jpg this can even be setup with a removable cover (as seen) for the nice nights that you would like to be able to have a clear sky overhead! This is one of many different setups that I would be glad to discuss at length. Another thing to consider with the truss will be access. Do you have man lifts available (boom or mast)? Or would you design the system so the upper truss can be lowered. Even if the upper truss can be lowered I would still consider looking into a man lift as they will be extremely handy if you would like to hang anything on the support towers.

It would not be difficult to design a booth that could have weather proof covers for all the equipment. That way when the show is over, you can cover the equipment and not need to worry about moving it inside (and hoping that no one forgets to move it in!)

Also the board I would recommend is the ETC Ion. This is a bit larger than what you may seem to need at first, but I feel this offers the most features for the cost as well as being used throughout the industry. I just did a show on Sunday at a local theater that the touring company used the same board for their show! And as stated before a programmer could program some simple effects for the board to get you started quickly, while you learn the system.

And before finishing this off I am going to ask if you are designing and installing the audio system as well as the lighting? This is something that should have just as much attention as the lighting system and should not be brushed over either.

That is a Thomas or Tomcat type system that can go up and down. If it is going to get a roof then it must be able to come down for weather.

That is a Thomas or Tomcat type system that can go up and down. If it is going to get a roof then it must be able to come down for weather.

Yes, definitely. Look into self climbing truss. You'll need motors for this, a lot are 3 phase. Do you have three phase service available? By the way, stay away from Black Oak. Not that much of a draw because they are terrible live. I mixed Jim Dandy solo once, one of the worst things I've ever heard. There are bands that draw for $10,000. I would stick with country.

As far as acts, think old country or old R&B or Motown. They still draw but are inexpensive. Acts like Charley Daniels, Temptations, many others. KC and others are another avenue.

I just turned on the bat signal for WhatRigger? and/or Mpowers (our two resident riggers) to weigh in on this. Postmaster, both of these guys are the real deal, they deal with truss and flying people and equipment every day.

Last edited:
A self climbing rig from a stage truss company is the cheapest method in the longrun. They have the engineering already done and it is a proven system. It also solves your cable problem, you feed the whole truss and drop the cables behind the flown sound. It is far easier to call Tomas or Tomcat and tell them what you want to do and they will engineer it, build it and ship it.
I deal with these roofs all year long, I have built tons of them. They are safe, sturdy and of a known quality. Plus when you are done with it for the year, you can take it apart in 2 hrs or less and store it.

Yes, we have 3 phase available, so that is something I will look into. No chance are we going to have Black Oak, not much of a chance for country, the owner doesn't like country.

Yes, definitely. Look into self climbing truss. You'll need motors for this, a lot are 3 phase. Do you have three phase service available? By the way, stay away from Black Oak. Not that much of a draw because they are terrible live. I mixed Jim Dandy solo once, one of the worst things I've ever heard. There are bands that draw for $10,000. I would stick with country.

hang on a second everyone freaking out about the truss, I get the feeling he is building an open aired building or gazebo type structure for this, and not some sort of temporary roof. Which would be totally safe for him to do, and pretty common.

Also for the people suggesting an Ion for "future expand ability" are you kidding? This stuff is going to get installed, and be there. Its a 100 seater in the middle of no where, I don't see Mac2Ks jumping into the rig anytime soon!

Pie4Weebl,
You're right, it is a permanent open air structure with a sail cloth semi-open roof not really designed to be weather proof, just weather resistant. No building really, just support poles for the roof and of course the truss system. The truss is permanently installed not portable.

hang on a second everyone freaking out about the truss, I get the feeling he is building an open aired building or gazebo type structure for this, and not some sort of temporary roof. Which would be totally safe for him to do, and pretty common.

Also for the people suggesting an Ion for "future expand ability" are you kidding? This stuff is going to get installed, and be there. Its a 100 seater in the middle of no where, I don't see Mac2Ks jumping into the rig anytime soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back