Design Lighting System Completely Down

NikolasR

Walked into the theatre today and attempted to power on lights, however nothing is turning on. I unplugged DMX into the console and plugged it back in, same with the wall connect and powered off and on the console. I then tried our built in stage panel that has preset cues, and still nothing was turning on. The rack with all of the breakers was on and the fan was activated and all breakers were set to "ON". Still nothing is turning on. What do you think the problem is?

No rack electronics - CEM in ETC speak - with any indications? If that's a module, pull it out and re-seat. It seems like what produces a signal to tell the dimmers to turn on is working, and if fan is running the dimmers are probably powered. (I'd be testing a lot of points to see where power got to.) Dos the rack electronics have the ability and you the knowledge to set levels right there?

Knowing nothing of the systems, is there any central point where all DMX flows through - like a merger or splitter? They fail or more likely their power supplies. If networked, switch also likely failure point.

Report what you find.

Good luck.

Considering that controls aren't working, yet the dimmer appears to be powering on, I'd second the possibility of it being some part of the logic in the dimmer. Do you have any specifics on the dimmer system?

Considering that controls aren't working, yet the dimmer appears to be powering on, I'd second the possibility of it being some part of the logic in the dimmer. Do you have any specifics on the dimmer system?
No rack electronics - CEM in ETC speak - with any indications? If that's a module, pull it out and re-seat. It seems like what produces a signal to tell the dimmers to turn on is working, and if fan is running the dimmers are probably powered. (I'd be testing a lot of points to see where power got to.) Dos the rack electronics have the ability and you the knowledge to set levels right there?

Knowing nothing of the systems, is there any central point where all DMX flows through - like a merger or splitter? They fail or more likely their power supplies. If networked, switch also likely failure point.

Report what you find.

Good luck.

It is an ETC rack. With about 70 dimmer modules inside. As soon as I turn on a cue from the console or the wall panel the system will power up and the fan will turn on with all lights on. However none of the stage lights turn on. I don't know much about the system, but the person who set it up is coming later, and I wanted to see if I could fix it now before as we have a show tonight.

Hmm. So if i understand this correctly, the dimmer goes into a standby when no signal is present. As soon as you try telling it to do anything, it turns on and checks out but then doesn't actually turn on any dimmers? Sounds a lot like either a logic fault (not necessarily the dimmer itself) or somone changed a merging mode and it is sending blank channels.

Hmm. So if i understand this correctly, the dimmer goes into a standby when no signal is present. As soon as you try telling it to do anything, it turns on and checks out but then doesn't actually turn on any dimmers? Sounds a lot like either a logic fault (not necessarily the dimmer itself) or somone changed a merging mode and it is sending blank channels.

How would I fix that? And it is not an ETC Dim rack, it is a Strand Lighting CD80SV Dim rack.

Don't touch anything and wait for the person that set it up look at it.

Don't touch anything and wait for the person that set it up look at it.

Agreed. It's understandable that you feel pressure due to the show, but leave it for the designer. In this situation the odds are low to get credit for fixing it, but high to get the blame if something happens.

Agreed! Knowing the CD80 well enough, the only way this will end is with an expensive programmer, touching the wrong thing, or waiting for the installer to fix it.

Update:
The person who set it up was not able to fix it it seems like. I was not able to come in when he was working on it, but he just turned off the breaker for the whole lighting system. Any suggestions on what to tell him to check? Thanks guys.

Update:
The person who set it up was not able to fix it it seems like. I was not able to come in when he was working on it, but he just turned off the breaker for the whole lighting system. Any suggestions on what to tell him to check? Thanks guys.
I noted some specific items above. Tell him to check those. If you don't have the manual for your rack ,I believe you can find it on line. I'd look but I don't know what model you have (several models of CD 80s - and it seemed uncertain if it was indeed CD 80.) I have a feeling you need a technician. Your profile is a little vague as to where you are so I don't really have any suggestions but you should be able to find someone through googling. Or call the factory - 1-800-4STRAND.

With the power to the rack on, you should see 3 green LEDs in a vertical row to the right of the display on the rack processor module. The LEDs are labeled: Power, Self test OK, and Active. If any of these LEDs are not lit then you probably have a problem with your processor module. Strand does not service these processors anymore but sells a C21 retrofit. There are third-party repair facilities that might be able to repair the CD80SV module if that is the problem. If you call Strand they will probably put you in touch with a local dealer that might be able to help you.

To my knowledge strand still knows where to direct you for SV processor modules. This came up when I was on the phone with them about my older AE model. The strand number mentioned above is an excellent ressource, though you should check the model information on the inside of the door before calling them.

We found the problem. Somebody put a projector screen leaning on the rack, blocking the intake fans, and then somebody turned on the lights through the pre-set cues built into the walls, which in turn overheated the machine and blew out the temperature control. That is what they told me, does that sound correct?

Well, that could do it... Though it means that temperature control had failed prior to the screen being put on it. If I'm not mistaken, the over temp should have kicked in and killed the rack before It caused any damage.

EDIT: Right from the strand manual for the SV.

"Standard Security features for CD80SV racks include:
•Convection cooling of all components with fan assist
•Three fans for redundancy in case of fan failure
•Rack overtemperature warning
•Rack shutdown at 5° above warning level

Last edited:
Blocking vents and overheating does happen but usually the thermostat simply turns the lights off, not "blew out". It's designed to do that to protect itself. Was it reset or were parts replaced?

I should go on to say dimmer racks should be cleaned annually, at least the air filter.

We found the problem. Somebody put a projector screen leaning on the rack, blocking the intake fans, and then somebody turned on the lights through the pre-set cues built into the walls, which in turn overheated the machine and blew out the temperature control. That is what they told me, does that sound correct?
Personally, I would have expected a rack with it's air flow / ability to adequately cool itself blocked / reduced / restricted / compromised to have put itself into a protect mode ranging from reducing its production of heat to a level it can safely survive to a total curtailment of generating heat. Upon restoration of proper flow of comparatively cool air, depending upon the make and model of the rack, I'd anticipate it would either reset itself or require a simple reset procedure to restore it to normal operation. I think you'll find most racks designed for professional applications are designed with self protection and life safety concerns in mind. You've a Strand rack which should definitely fall in this category along with racks manufactured by ETC and many products manufactured by lesser gods. Assuming the rack's fans are now running and it has normal air flow, sniff the air exiting the rack and if your nose doesn't detect any burnt / charred / smoky odors, I suspect your rack has sustained little to no severe damage.
I'll quit blathering now and I'm sure you'll soon receive many expert opinions optimistically including some from folks well versed in your specific rack.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

This is coming from the maintenance staff who are in contact with the company we bought the rack from over the phone. As I said before, they are planning to run down and pick up the part and hopefully that will fix our problem. As you were saying about the auto-shutoff, could possibly leaving it on for 4 months continuously damage the rack?

could possibly leaving it on for 4 months continuously damage the rack?

Not under normal conditions. Dimmer racks are designed to be robust enough to operate 24/7 [in a clean environment, not overloaded, and with proper airflow]. I've met a lot of racks who only get shut down once or twice a year for maintenance. Sadly, I also know a few racks who don't get any maintenance at all, and only get a break during power outages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back