Vintage Lighting Looking for information on a vintage light

KrisE01

Hi All,
I would deeply appreciate any info you may have on the attached vintage stage light.
Many thanks,
Kris

Attachments

• DSC05588.JPG
    DSC05588.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC05587.JPG
    DSC05587.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 407
You mean we haven't gotten the exact make/model/year from Ship yet? ;)

This may have been a light modified to work as a very simple followspot. The oxide level of the iris plate does not match the oxide level of other parts.

Hi all,
I have not opened it up yet - I was hoping that it was easy to recognize by someone from ControlBooth - You all are so much better at knowing these items than anyone else I have talked to. I agree with you, John, It does seem a bit pieced together.

I don't think it's a theatrical instrument at all--the yoke and mounting method are all wrong. I suspect it's some sort of outdoor fixture that someone has "customized" to turn into a spotlight.

Sorry I missed this one, normally I get a E-mail warning from those that have my work email or a PM warning to look at something.

It’s a framing projector as per fixture type. Would like more photos - lots more to further refine the date as with dimensions. Nope, I don’t have one. No, it’s possible that it had a cord mounted switch and is factory the way it is. No, not a beam projector and no not rated for outdoors.

Is the accessory framing projector lens train and framing wheel removable? Two or three gel frame mounting clips on the fixture mounting it the lens and wheel? Are the two seperate in a wheel for the framing holes I have never seen before question and making it even more unusual. This seperate from the lens train of what size lenses and dual or single lens? Is there an additional lens on the actual fixture - what size? Overall dimensions of the fixture and what type of lamp and lamp socket radial mounted was used? What type of fasteners were in use - square nuts or hex ones? Made of steel or bronze? Same with the screws assuming slotted screws, panhead screws or round head screws in seeming like roundhead mostly?

Describe the paint - black or gray/black? Hammer tone, texture as if little bits of sand in it or once cleaned, semi-gloss or flatish in black? Seems like a fairly latter smooth finish but details on the paint refine it further.

The acorn nut at the rear housing, perhaps could be a replacement as that’s where I would put a handle. On the other hand in seeing a acorn nut on the clutch break or Rosette bracket (period transition term), could be either both were replaced or original. What’s the knob inside the yoke directly next to the lamp socket for? Want lots of info about it. Does it focus the lamp front to rear? What is that big overt knob for at the bottom of the yoke for? Why is there an Acorn nut on the Clutch Break where there should be a knob or something including not seeing any leather washers at least in the cam assembly? Is the overt knob to just pan the fixture where that acorn nut governs such ability? Given a large knob to pan the fixture and a lot less useful stuff to tilt it, I would suspect some stuff has changed and the acorn nuts not original.

Fixture brand... not like I have seen before in the oval side venting slots on it for what it is. Rear venting holes could be any number of sources. One detail on the rear holes, are they just punched or punched but in a concave like way with the steel bent inwards towards the inner plate or reflector as often the case this inner baffle plate is the rear of the reflector. On the reflector - made of steel perhaps silvered or aluminum?

Overall, I think this a c. mid-1930's thru 1950's framing projector and leaning on the earlier than later in age. It showing a top venting hood especially points to it being very early. Brand is unknown but a thorough inspection for any name plates, stamped part numbers, lamp base brand etc. would be useful in with the above help in identifying it. Lack of name plates unfortunately was a normal thing, and or if it was re-painted, decals of the brand would have to be searched for if still existing - that's normal. Heck, of my past effects wheel projector I have researched, I think it Reique and Vogul out of Germany but have no sufficient info to support this only that they made a fixture similar. Research is on-going on my own fixture not similar to yours but also somewhat similar in style or accessory type for a purpose.
Size of your fixture seemingly is like 6" roughly based on the photos. I suspect also the lens train is adjustable by way of focus knob not seen. Very nice/desirable lighting fixture to own. If from the earlier than later period, the cord on it has been changed.

Overall, the wiring is to be suspect as with lamp socket anyway in not serviceable given the expected age short of someone qualified inspecting it in a detailed way. Could be that this was a very well maintained, even re-painted and qualified re-wired fixture, on the other hand could be something seemingly really nice but dangerous. PM about possible free service call if you pay shipment. Already own a Altman #99 version and an unknown brand of 6" version, know what it is and if needed can provide links to similar products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back