PA Shopping

Those speakers can probably produce massive feedback, but much depends on the brand/model and type of the microphone, as well as its proximity to the loudspeaker(s). :)

I'm not sure what you are wanting. You ask about the Behringer but provide a list of several different speakers available on eBay. The speakers noted range from monitors with a 12" woofer to mains with dual 15" woofers and prices from $137.50 per speaker to $315. One offer is a pair of speakers, some others are offering only one speaker. One model is powered, the others passive. Other than their all being entry level products, there seems to be little commonality. Maybe you know what you are looking for and your goals, but they are not at all clear from the information provided.

These are all entry level speakers with lower prices, whether they offer sufficient quality or value depends on the application and your expectations, which are not identified. The $272 price for the Behringer B312D is well under the $360 price posted by virtually all the major online retailers, although some of those do offer free shipping. That makes it likely either a good deal or a shady deal, I don't know anything about the seller in order to be able to offer an opinion there. I will offer that even the $272 is too much to pay if the speaker will not serve your needs, which have not been defined (see http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/21307-new-equipment-time.html ).

Sorry about that, posting late at night. It started off with just the question about the Behringers. I suppose the question (and the inclusion of multiple types and price ranges) would be is one insane for purchasing sub 300.00 PA gear for any of that equipment. I'm looking to invest in some sound gear to use for events (nothing like concerts). But video showing, public announcements / speeches, some pre-recorded music. I posted a topic a while back which you linked to looking into Amp options and powered vs. non powered speakers. However I figured that topic was too old to include links into. I actually didn't realize I missed the last reply in that topic.

So in short the question would be how does Behringer, JBL, and Peavy compare to each other. We know ETC for example is one of the top tier lighting manufacturers where as Leprechaun and the such are 2nd Tier. Should I avoid any of those manufacturers and what would you say an appropriate price is to pay for a starting setup for Passive and Active speaker setups?

Behringer is entry level at best, some will simply call it crap.

What kind of usage will this be for? Portable, permanent install? Size and shape of the space to be covered will help in suggesting cabinets.

Lastly, what is the budget.

Sorry about that, posting late at night. It started off with just the question about the Behringers. I suppose the question (and the inclusion of multiple types and price ranges) would be is one insane for purchasing sub 300.00 PA gear for any of that equipment. I'm looking to invest in some sound gear to use for events (nothing like concerts). But video showing, public announcements / speeches, some pre-recorded music. I posted a topic a while back which you linked to looking into Amp options and powered vs. non powered speakers. However I figured that topic was too old to include links into. I actually didn't realize I missed the last reply in that topic.

So in short the question would be how does Behringer, JBL, and Peavy compare to each other. We know ETC for example is one of the top tier lighting manufacturers where as Leprechaun and the such are 2nd Tier. Should I avoid any of those manufacturers and what would you say an appropriate price is to pay for a starting setup for Passive and Active speaker setups?

Correct me if i am wrong but i would see it like this:

Tier 1 : JBL
Tier 2: Yamaha
Tier 3: Behringer, and Peavy

There are others that would go into these but this is just my experience with these.

I really like Altec Lansing stuff but they moved to the more consumer market than full PA systems.

The difficulty with the first is that many speaker manufacturers offer a wide range of products, some from basic entry level to true pro, so any comparison can depend on what specific models are being compared. However, for the more entry level products you noted the general perception is probably JBL then Peavey then Behringer. You might also consider some other brands such as Yamaha, EAW, QSC and Mackie.

As far as what to pay, that depends on the potential use, the audience sizes and venues, your long term goals and so on. It can also depend on whether you have to work with tech riders or client acceptance of the equipment. Often the best idea is to look around at what you see as your competition. What are they using? Would using different brands or models, either higher or lower quality/value/price, make any difference in your getting or not getting work? Also keep in mind that it is not just the equipment but the use of it, there are some people who can get amazing results with lesser equipment and others who get inferior results with very high quality equipment. Sometimes investing in people and/or education to help make the most of whatever you have is a better investment than more or better equipment.

Agreed, make sure you know what you are doing no matter the equipment. I've seen a national come through where I work and sound absolutely terrible running a full line array system wth a PM1D at FOH, while I was in a small pub with 2 small tannoys, a sub, and some in ceiling speakers and it sounded great. Yes, gear is nice, but remember one thing; "Does it sound good?"

The difficulty with the first is that many speaker manufacturers offer a wide range of products, some from basic entry level to true pro, so any comparison can depend on what specific models are being compared. However, for the more entry level products you noted the general perception is probably JBL then Peavey then Behringer. You might also consider some other brands such as Yamaha, EAW, QSC and Mackie.

As far as what to pay, that depends on the potential use, the audience sizes and venues, your long term goals and so on. It can also depend on whether you have to work with tech riders or client acceptance of the equipment. Often the best idea is to look around at what you see as your competition. What are they using? Would using different brands or models, either higher or lower quality/value/price, make any difference in your getting or not getting work? Also keep in mind that it is not just the equipment but the use of it, there are some people who can get amazing results with lesser equipment and others who get inferior results with very high quality equipment. Sometimes investing in people and/or education to help make the most of whatever you have is a better investment than more or better equipment.

I work at a private High School basically handling all of there sound needs with a student running crew. I have a set of 4 JBL Eons that seem to get me through almost all of my needs. I seem to get a lot of versatility with them they are priced a little bit more then the systems that you were looking at but have done me well.

Alright so am I correct to assume (for the most part). That if I spend 350 for example on passive speakers compared to 350 for active. Technically speaking since the 350 is strictly just the speakers, that it should be of higher quality than buying an all in one solution?

Now speaking about passive speakers how would you rate these JBLs JBL EON305 2-Way Passive Portable Speaker System -  Passive Full Range Speakers*-* Full Range Speakers*-* Speakers*-* Pro Audio*-* PSSL.com

-----

Here's the setup I've come up with.

CrownAmp - http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...r_-1_10052_10002_-49984417_cmCategorySA182819

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674285-REG/Crown_Audio_XLS2000_XLS_2000_DriveCore_Stereo.html

Speakers -
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=267&MId=3

DBX System -

http://www.dbxpro.com/PX/index.php

Mixer -

Soundcraft GB2R http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=151

Wireless -

SLX124/85/SM58Combo Wireless System
Combo Wireless System

Last edited:
Of the two amps that you listed, the first one would work although you will probably want some sort of DSP to go with it. The second unit is not nearly enough power to give you the results that one could reasonably expect from those Eons. Honestly though, with the Eon you are going to be better off just getting the powered version of them. With powered speakers, the manufacturer has done the leg work of figuring out which amp is going to work best for you.

The reason I was looking at passive was because, in the past topic listed above it was recommended to use them as it makes it easier to supply power to them. The question still is for me should I expect better performance from a pair of JBL EONs that are powered or non-powered.

As far as a DSP goes is there one that you'd recommend. I had thought DBX systems were also the processor.

I had looked at the PA+ Before which apparently includes the DSP, however I feel it wouldn't be the correct unit for my needs as I'll just be sending out L/R and not L/R High Mid Lows.

DSP is Digital Signal Processor and is commonly used to reference either a standalone device or the processing integrated into other devices. An audio DSP can potentially provide a wide variety of signal processing. It could be a dedicated purpose, single channel processor, say just a delay output from one input, or a multipurpose device providing equalizers, limiters, compressors, filters, routing, mixing, delay and so on for multiple inputs and outputs. Or anywhere in between those. A DSP commonly emulates analog devices such that a single DSP may replace what would have been a rack full of analog equipment.

The traditional approach for a full range speaker is processing, then amp, then speaker. In comparison, powered speakers typically integrate this all into one device. They also allow the processing and amplification configuration and settings to be optimized for that specific device and in some cases that processing gets very complex in order to get the most out of the box. However, the processing in powered speakers is generally based on addressing the speaker, not the environment or subjective preferences. The dbx DriveRack PX was developed to address that and intended specifically to work with powered speakers. The DriveRack PA+ is the equivalent product for traditional amplifier and passive speaker setups and supports several common system configurations.

I've decided on a pair of these speakers I was able to find a new pair locally. JBL :: Product

Now to continue on getting the rest of the gear. I'll be picking up the speakers next Friday. In comparison how would you rate these to the EON series?

Which of the Crown Series amps would you recommend? When I'm looking at wattage rating do I want to go for the RMS or Peak. Say for example the speakers are rated for 250 Watts with 1000 Watt Peak. Will I only be able to hit the max of what the Amp is rated (for example 350?) or do the Amps have a peak rating too?

Last edited:
Setups slowly coming together, I'll pickup the speakers next week and I just picked up this mixer for free.

proxy.php

Speakers are in

proxy.php

Which of the Crown Series amps would you recommend? When I'm looking at wattage rating do I want to go for the RMS or Peak. Say for example the speakers are rated for 250 Watts with 1000 Watt Peak. Will I only be able to hit the max of what the Amp is rated (for example 350?) or do the Amps have a peak rating too?
It looks like this never got answered. The preferred answer is that you get the amplifier that provides the level and headroom required for the application when used with the speakers selected. If you don't have specific goals for level and headroom then the general rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 times the continuous (sometimes erroneously called RMS) power rating of the speaker. In the case of the JBL JRX115 that would be 375-500W into 8 Ohms. Also note that since you are running full range you'd prefer that to be a full range, typically 20-20kHz, rating. if all you have is a 1kHz rating for the amp you might want to go a bit higher on the rated power, maybe 450-600W. So in the Crown line maybe an XLS 802 or if you want to have the DSP integrated into the amp, an XTi 2000.

Amps are typically capable of putting out more than the rated power for brief periods of time, how much more and under what conditions depends on the amplifier.

I've noticed a few people recommending QSC (Guitar Center and a local distributor). In terms of quality what would you say ranks out higher. QSC or Crown or do they rank evenly?

QSC has various levels of equipment but their pro stuff is pretty good. I just changed my system out to QSC amps and a sound company I work with have several concert sized systems, amps and speakers.

QSC has much better customer service as of late.
Definitely go with a professional dealer over Guitar Center.
Give Terry Hanley Audio Systems in Woburn a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back