Uplighting & Conventional PARs

Maverick

I am looking for a solid fixture to use to do some up lighting for. We currently are all LED and have a client that wants to do some GOLD/WHITE up lighting which just wont work with our LED fixtures. Can anyone suggest some fixtures/bulb confirmations that you have used and would recommend? Also would like a suggestion on GEL's for the fixtures!

Thanks in advance

re: Uplighting & Conventional PARs

Any PAR in NSP or MFL would be fine, I would think (depending on how high the uplight needs to go). Gel? Whatever color of amber you need to use?

AR's
How do the white LEDs look with gel, I imagine that they look a bit different from an incandescent but how different are they really.
Not very good typically. The highest power white LEDs still have a very cool phosphor compound, even the warmer LED's are still pretty blue.

I like to use Altman starpars or Source4 PAR's on the floor, bolted to a weighted mic stand base, with what ever lens fits the task.

Normal PAR64's work just fine, but they're larger, inefficient, and IMO uglier.

Last edited:

I like to use Altman starpars or Source4 PAR's on the floor, bolted to a weighted mic stand base, with what ever lens fits the task.

Normal PAR64's work just fine, but they're larger, inefficient, and IMO uglier.

I agree on the slightly ugly look of PAR64s. Unless its an industrial (or some variant) event (think Nine Inch Nails), go with a S4 PAR or even a PARNel. If you dont have a mic stand base handy, you can make your own (these work great for S4s, S4 PARs, not tried on any others). Basically, take some 3/4" Plywood, cut a 14"x14" square on a table saw, then rip 2 14"x1 1/2" strips out of the same stuff, screw them (or glue or staple or something) to 2 opposite edges of the square, drill a hole in the middle of the square (I feel like its a half inch hole), get a nut to fit the bolt out of the C-clamp, or a nut and bolt set thats similarly sized. Paint the entire rig black, bolt on your S4 in the flavor of your choice. The one advantage of this rig as opposed to the mic stand base is you can screw it to the floor if you want, and its dirt cheap. I built 12 for Backborn and used them with S4 PARs for the columns and some light on the back wall (example here: Zenfolio | Leighanne Evelyn Photography | Backborn .)

The LED's I use as as white as a source four. When I get time I'll gel them both and you and I'll post a picture and you can decide. Don't forget once the gel is in you can STILL adjust the LED to get the gelled LED to do even more things. If you use a Gold you can get a deeper or lighter gelled gold by tweaking the LEDs.

I became a fan if high powered LED about a year ago and I will never go back. I can place the LED's near fabric and not worry about a fire, obviously get hundreds of colors and never buy a gel. Not doing the Gel thing is a life saver. Prior to the LED's the customer would decide on a color then I would get all up lights gelled and then change their mind and I would need to do it all over again, and with 30-50 lights it's a PITA that's IF I had the color.

Now I set the color and if they want a change I just bump the colors up or down till the customer is happy. Furthermore I could have a entire room one color then depending on speaker, or dinner course or whatever do a slow but complete room change.

My latest fun LED that I just got a sample in on is a 3 WATT ZOOM LED. Yep a par that zooms from a small pin spot to 75 degrees wall wash. Could you imagine pin spotting tables and then changing the colors of all the tables during the evening. I can't wait.

I would suggest neither the Pars or LEDs I would go with good ol' conventional strip lights, that use MR-16 lamps. They work great both near and far and the N/C will give you a slightly gold look and of course you can get amber by having them at a lower intensity. Altman has a great line of these fixtures, I think they would be a great investment they are typically three color aswell.

The LED's I use as as white as a source four. When I get time I'll gel them both and you and I'll post a picture and you can decide. Don't forget once the gel is in you can STILL adjust the LED to get the gelled LED to do even more things. If you use a Gold you can get a deeper or lighter gelled gold by tweaking the LEDs.

I became a fan if high powered LED about a year ago and I will never go back. I can place the LED's near fabric and not worry about a fire, obviously get hundreds of colors and never buy a gel. Not doing the Gel thing is a life saver. Prior to the LED's the customer would decide on a color then I would get all up lights gelled and then change their mind and I would need to do it all over again, and with 30-50 lights it's a PITA that's IF I had the color.

Now I set the color and if they want a change I just bump the colors up or down till the customer is happy. Furthermore I could have a entire room one color then depending on speaker, or dinner course or whatever do a slow but complete room change.

My latest fun LED that I just got a sample in on is a 3 WATT ZOOM LED. Yep a par that zooms from a small pin spot to 75 degrees wall wash. Could you imagine pin spotting tables and then changing the colors of all the tables during the evening. I can't wait.

I sell those units and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

I can't wait for a motorized zoom version.

Have you seen the new 5W models? Awesome!

Mike

An LED fixture offering RGBAW color mixing will accomplish the color you require. These will be available shortly in both one and three watt versions with 36 diodes. Watch the trade mags for the announcement.

Do you know what the MSRP is going to be on these? I know the Wybron Cygnus 200w just hit the market which is RGBW. I saw a demo when the Wybron trailer was in Chicago at ILC a couple weeks ago. It's a pretty slick little light. The price isn't bad either for what that thing can do. I think the rep said MSRP was $2030 and street price would be around $1500-1600. I know that they just unveiled the Cygnus 100w, too, but they hadn't had a price set for that one when I talked to him.

The Cygnus had a really nice range of really rich and full colors. Amber would be a nice touch, but I question whether who ever is producing that RGBAW fixture can match the output of the Cygnus. I don't have the spec sheet in front of me but I believe it was upwards of 4000 lumins. It was brighter than 3.5 SELADOR Vivids together.

If you're willing/able to spend ~$200 per unit:
proxy.php

ETC SourceFour PAR EA
Choice of 375, 575, or 750W lamps. Comes with four lenses: VNSP, NSP, MFL, WFL. XWFL available but costs extra.

For about $50, a PAR56 Can & lamp may be purchased from any number of manufacturers/dealers. One example:
proxy.php

PAR56 Polished Chrome - BulbAmerica.com
Silver or black. 300 or 500W. Must decide on NSP, MFL, or WFL at time of lamp purchase.

With either, if you want just a shaft of light, I'd use NSP. If you want to wash a wall, WFL. If you're unsure choose MFL.

As for gold gel, there really isn't such a thing, but I've always liked Roscolux #17 or R21.

Last edited:

Here are the spec sheets on the 3W Zoom. No spec on the 5W units yet, but they are 140W and have 8/8/8 LED. Derek has it on the traditional options. But be sure to keep traditional aluminum cans at least 36" from any flammable fabrics!

As far as gold gels, you won't ever get a true gold, but if you could be a little more specific on the color you want we might be able to help you more.

Mike

Attachments

• wdmpar64zoom.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Back