Use of cyc lights?

cnote

Ya beat me too it. Choose cyc color for the cyc, skin tone color for lights acutally pointed at actors. What bounce from the cyc you do get will be hittin the back sides of the actors so it won't help with skin tones.

Be careful with amber on a cyc...it has a tendency to want to jump out past actors. I'm not saying don't use it just be careful.

I hope this is ok to ask this question here. What would be a good use of a cyc? I ask as I have been tasked with lighting at my church and they are currently using two cycs center on the pastor with no color. At this point I only see them adding a harshness that I think we can do without.
Sorry to add to this thread, but it seemed to fit the question.
Thanks

Re: Help choosing peach gel

I hope this is ok to ask this question here. What would be a good use of a cyc? ...
It's pretty much okay to ask any question anyplace, providing it's somewhat related to the topic. [Edit: Rest assured, the CBmods will move it if they feel it should be located elsewhere--as just happened while I was responding!;)]

cnote, I think you're confusing cyc and cyc light. Due to their intrinsic nature of providing an even, uncontrolled wash of light across an area, cyc lights are usually not used for "area lighting" (to light people)--the spill from them is difficult to control and the wash tends to flatten the object by eliminating shadows. In revealing a three dimensional form, shadows are just as important as light.

Compare the two photos below.
proxy.php

proxy.php

from Stage Lighting - Angles - www.theatrecrafts.com.

If cyclights are the only fixtures you have, gelling them with a pale tint flattering to skin tones, such as R02 or R33, can eliminate some of the perceived harshness.

Last edited:
Me Confused? Why of course.
I am refering to the cyc light footlights (2 sets of 4 lamps per unit) that are presently being used.
I agree that they are washing out what is seen.
We have plenty of overhead lighting (Elipsoides, Par64, Fresnel,etc). Quite a bit of which is in need of some sort of adjustment.
I am working to understand why the present lighting is the way it is. So far I have conclude that it is an evolution of new people (not much unlike myself) trying to make sense of something they know little about. Other than let the people see.....
I think the theory has been to 'do what you can without going overhead to fix/adjust something.'

Back to the cyc lights, I am thinking that if I continue to use them I should maybe add an amber gel and keep them low. Better yet is to not use them in this front of stage, blind the pastor, application.

Thanks

Well in that case another picture is in order:
proxy.php
:)

The lighting provided by footlights creates an unnatural angle, and often throws unwanted shadows onto the background. But they can be helpful to add facelight under large-brimmed hats, or to diminish the wrinkles of the sixty year-old actress playing a twenty year-old ingénue.

See this thread debating the merits of footlights in modern lighting practices: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6473-footlights.html .

Last edited:
So I can put the footlights away for a special occasion or add an skin tone gel and limit them to low lighting.

I think for our church I am shelving them until needed for something special. That will save the pastor a little heat load.

Thanks everyone

Well I have plenty of those. Lekos', Fresnel, and PAR64 oh my!!!!
and a bunch of Elation Stage Colors' for house walls.

Now i'm off to find the optimum configuration for our ETC express 48/96

<hands over head> WHEEEEeeeeeee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back