Conventional Fixtures what to do with some old fresnels?

Anvilx

My school has a fair amount of old fresnels that all need to be completely rewired. They have asbestos tails and need connectors, sockets, and lamps. The school doesn't have a budget for equipment maintenance. We don't need the instruments. I am not going to fix them because simply isn't my responsibility. So at this point the instruments are just taking up space and so I talked with the director and he said that I could sell them. So my question is about what are they worth?

I have:

4x 5 1/2" unknown brand fresnel (they take a 6 1/2" frame)

6~8x 8" kliegl bros. 3525 fresnel (some of these are even missing lenses)

I'd say around $20 to $40 a piece depending on the condition. HOWEVER, in my opinion it would be incredibly irresponsible of you to just outright dump some fresnel's with asbestos tails on someone else without at least informing them of the asbestos, and most likely once they hear the words asbestos they are going to avoid it like the plague. Personally I would dispose of the asbestos tails and just sell the unit without a tail, you may have better luck selling them that way with the stipulation of needing to recable them. The best way to dispose of the asbestos tails would be to wrap them with a plastic bag, tape the end and then cut the whip off where it enters the casing.

There value "as is" is zero. I don't believe you can sell any item containing asbestos.

It will probably take more than your non-exsistant budget to have them properly disposed of.

Yeah, before you do anything (unless of course it's sending them to someone trained to remove asbestos) the whips need to be completely removed. If you were nearby I might consider taking them as a donation (and rewiring), but it's not even worth the shipping really.

Post a pic of those 5 1/2's and I might be interested. I'm close enough that the shipping wouldn't be too outrageous.

Post a pic of those 5 1/2's and I might be interested. I'm close enough that the shipping wouldn't be too outrageous.

Les, I would love to sell to you. However I have a friend who is trying to start a small lighting company and he has first right of refusal. Here is a photo of the same type of light. I would appreciate it if someone could id it for me. They are not anywhere near as maintained as the one pictured. For some reason my school has only one of those type of lights maintained, real useless. Oh, I threw in a another pic from the "a little light cleaning" gallery.

proxy.php

proxy.php

While I agree with the “Your responsibility” concept and at best bag and clip the whip at the cord grip, I get lots of fixtures with asbestos whips or cabling off E-Bay or from other sources. A few weeks ago a Mole 2Kw Fresnel with whip cut - probably a 12/3 SOOW whip. But with internal asbestos wiring. This as opposed to some past worker that brought in like a 8x16 Leko... asbestos whip fixture. The whip instantly got cut and bagged on-sighting of it even if I wouldn’t pay his price for the fixture. That was of service to him, me and those I work around. Sorry... clip and bagged upon sight of the whip in an immediate sense without asking.

A few years ago there was a post on this website in dealing with asbestos which Dr. Doom from Stagecraft Digest - an authority on the subject contributed to. His words are the official way of dealing with asbestos. Bag and cut it, a minimum way at least in taking it to a further extent, bag and cut what you can he didn’t advise but seems sensible.

Not sure what E-Bay’s requirements are for listing gear especially in this way.

Prices seem fair - though if a lot of them I would list them individually still or at least in pairs. Few places want older fixtures, this much less a lot of them - especially if in bad condition for a lot of them. Put a few on the market (below in other options or at least conditions), wait a while, offer up a few more... don't flood the market or you will get next to nothing for them. (This even with me being a potential buyer but playing it fair.) Individual buyers don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of them. I might start at $14.00 per fixture given the condition if not down to $10.00 given the amount of work and parts that will be necessary. On the other hand, should you re-wire them properly, you might be able to sell them off in bulk - assuming it not more cost effective to keep them or sell off what you replaced them with and go back to them. All about what you might get what you offer for new.. used.. don't know end result if you already replaced them.

Chances are that most if not all the bases could be saved - there is a lot of surface area on the center contact plate of a P-28s base, this if you do it properly can be re-surfaced or cheaply replaced if broken. One or two past articles on this forum I have posted about how to do so and what to use in doing so. Also how to re-wire them. Some bases allow the screw terminals to be removed, others don’t... and don’t forget the asbestos pad under the lampholder. At least you most likely won’t have to deal with asbestos lens pads under the lens - them are nasty to scrape off older say Mole lights. This amongst other parts say the lampholder insulators themselves that could or is different materials used dependant on the fixture but normally is only for higher wattage especially studio Fresenels. For a stage and studio normal, 6" Fresnel... should be fairly straight forward to re-wire and remove - but do read Dr. Doom’s info for how, should you go about it, make it safe for you in doing so. There is more modern parts you can use to replace asbestos in all ways between insulator under the base or pads under the lens. If not covered in the past sufficiently I can update such stuff. I love working on old fixtures and have well over a hundred under my belt.

In other words, the 6" Fresnel, should be safe enough given you follow good practice to re-wire with materials in the past I listed. Perhaps sell a few of them off in paying for the rest of them being re-wired. While there is some slight differences between Fresnel types or brands... for the most part there is no difference between a modern or old Fresnel overall. Returning to use your old 6" Fresnels to service instead of buying more would be more cost effective than buying new. Or sell off the new ones if already replaced in paying for bulk fixing of the rest. Nothing wrong with an old Fresnel if in proper working order - this no matter how old.

As a concept and local to you, Texas Scenic as a known company in your state could gear up to service your fixtures to the extent you want - total re-wiring or asbestos abatement of the fixtures in sending them back clean to you for a price. Never personally dealed with such a company, but such a concept should be within their ability. This as opposed to other companies such as where I work that could do it but in keeping it local. Local to you is often good if not cheaper. There is companies out there that can deal with the problem and even go beyond that in making it as called "turn key" ready for use as if new and ready to go. Certainly know I could do so easily and if nobody else, contact off line. Price in doing so would probably be chaper than for a new fixture dependant on volume in gearing up for it. And a Fresnel is a Fresnel for most intensive purposes - saves money unless you ae one of them has to be ETC brand guys... Or at least if equal in price, preserves the old as opposed to selling short or landfill. A re-wired fixture should also be worth say 80% of list price of a new fixture or in at least that range. New Fresnels list for a large price these days. Worth it to I think save your fixtures.

On the 4.1/2" Fresnels... these most likely are not Fresnels but PC fixtures with Fresnel if not even oval Fresnel lens fixtures as upgraded say in 1956 or beyond. Them’s your money fixture from the box spot to the PC fixture. Lenses are easy enough to get be it from you getting it for the sale in making it worth a bit more or from the end buyer getting them in getting the fixture for cheap and no doubt already knowing the price of a 4.1/2" lens say thru Altman. Should about balance out. Send me or post a photo of the 4.1/2" fixture and I’ll help to tell you what brand and year it was introduced. Search the fixture for a name plate also in finding that brand. Very important. If these fixtures have at times the “optional” reflector behind the lamp, and what type of base of lamp these fixtures had will also be very important. A photo of the fixture is also important for pricing them out. Given they are probably not worth much anyway... the history of the fixture still is very important in listing it for resale for a bit more. Display Stage Lighting or Giraffe Lighting... I don’t know on a 6" Fresnel I own. Rivet holes from missing name plate are in the same place in perhaps coming from the same factory but from different brands as most likely. Sorry I lost out on the Giraffe Lighting fixture, but it was over-priced given it had no gizzards or lens, and I was interested in it for was that name plate.

Even for my Kliegl #1N, Nitrogen Olivette, given today I got in a 1928 catalogue from Major and it looks just like the above Kliegl fixture from the website’s catalague.. But Kliegl stopped making the fixture in about 1922-1926... is it a Kliegl or later up to 1928 Major fixture is stuff in detail very important to research. Really hard to tell from drawing of the fixture and might have to update the name/info plaque for the fixture currently out in a vendor tent for a concert.

Actual history of a fixture is something I’m fascinated with and study a lot about as with collecting them for the new work sponsored museum. TBA and Photos and history to follow. This beyond the actual history of Altman Stage Lighting. Been told different as to how they started out as a company than the website might list. This as with other companies - the history is out there, just gotta capture that info before it’s gone to the ages. Cut-throat industry before like the 1960's or 70's. TBA an interview with some from Hub/Vari-Lite/Dimatronics - that also owns the Major brand for lighting and parts plus parts for many other long gone parts. Fascinating old-timers I know of that I’m working on gaining history from.

Have a watch out on PLSN for articles from Nook the LD. on the ACL lamp, lamp bar, and PAR 64, TBA soon.

Last edited:
Do you have a second picture of that Fresnel? It looks like the cord is one of the fiberglass sheaths commonly used in fixtures today. I'm not sure that you have an asbestos wired fixture. Generally asbestos covered whips are white and many of them are individual cords. You would see 3 wires coming off the fixture.

For reference:

proxy.php

Of course, safety trumps all, but I'd be willing to bet that, at least on the fresnel in the photo, you have a non asbestos fixture.

Do you have a second picture of that Fresnel? It looks like the cord is one of the fiberglass sheaths commonly used in fixtures today. I'm not sure that you have an asbestos wired fixture. Generally asbestos covered whips are white and many of them are individual cords. You would see 3 wires coming off the fixture.

Of course, safety trumps all, but I'd be willing to bet that, at least on the fresnel in the photo, you have a non asbestos fixture.

Could be given two fixtures with photos provided in the same night.
Good catch. On the other hand, grounded asbestos or even outer jacket asbestos is kown. Possible but also thanks for the catch. This fixture could be proper and normal with fiberglass sleee and proper. Good note Thanks in all being a backstop to each other.

Last edited:
By the way, from the photos it shows slotted pan-head screws. From the photo I would date the fxture to the 1950's.

Did I mistake 5.1/2" for 4.1/2" in size? Never heard of a 5.1/2" Fresnel before... that would put it into the scale of the photo in size, or perhaps wth being different than the photo, the more likely 4.1/2" Fresnel also has a different fixture shape. Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

This really a 5.1/2" Fresnel or a typo?

By the way, from the photos it shows slotted pan-head screws. From the photo I would date the fxture to the 1950's.

Did I mistake 5.1/2" for 4.1/2" in size? Never heard of a 5.1/2" Fresnel before... that would put it into the scale of the photo in size, or perhaps wth being different than the photo, the more likely 4.1/2" Fresnel also has a different fixture shape. Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

This really a 5.1/2" Fresnel or a typo?

Ship I measured the other day but I double checked just for you.
The diameter of the lens is 6" however compared to a 165Q the lens is installed from the inside with metal tabs that fold down. However the diameter of the front metal piece is 5 1/2". The light takes a 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" size frame as compared to a 165Q's 7 1/2" x 7 1/2".

They all for sure have asbestos in them except the one pictured. That one I gutted and rewired a year or so back to as a benchmark to see how much time it would take to service them, I deemed it not worth my unpaid time. However I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some asbestos insulation on the interior. Like the fresnels pictured the other ones feature 3 separate wires sheathed in asbestos.

Alright so $10 - $15 seems to me like a fair market price for the 5 1/2" or 6" fresnels, but should the 8" fresnels be priced higher? how much?

Ship I measured the other day but I double checked just for you.
The diameter of the lens is 6" however compared to a 165Q the lens is installed from the inside with metal tabs that fold down. However the diameter of the front metal piece is 5 1/2". The light takes a 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" size frame as compared to a 165Q's 7 1/2" x 7 1/2".

They all for sure have asbestos in them except the one pictured. That one I gutted and rewired a year or so back to as a benchmark to see how much time it would take to service them, I deemed it not worth my unpaid time. However I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some asbestos insulation on the interior. Like the fresnels pictured the other ones feature 3 separate wires sheathed in asbestos.

Alright so $10 - $15 seems to me like a fair market price for the 5 1/2" or 6" fresnels, but should the 8" fresnels be priced higher? how much?

Hmm, Interesting, heard of the above gel frame size before and no doubt have dealed with some. That was in the tech days before I more became a historian than person doing the work. Still the concept of a Fresnel is a Fresnel, but in keeping some for history, perhaps at some point some of them might be more worth funding the service call over continued use. Wondering now what lamps are in them - thus further dating them assumming brands are not to be found. More photos of what you have given two or three different classes of Fresnel will also be needed for identifying what you have. Also helpful to the forum once identified. For instance in the photo, I'm not yet convinced the ones in the photo are Kleigl. Could be but I'm more used to a different perhaps older hole pattern of holes to the Fresnel in either 3/4" holes or 1/4" slots. Also helpful would be the brand of lens once removed from the dish washer. Further research would help though possible it's Kliegl especially if it says so - and would help with fixture history. Probably is but possible it isn
't also.

(For sure it's probably asbestos - given there was a non-asbestos type on the market but I'm yet to see it. Fuzzy type or braided asbestos another question?) None the less, needs removal with the fuzzy stuff more worrying

Un-paid time is a question of pay verses community service in the end. Your career or your job even at some extent. While I have well over a hundred fixtures re-wired for free in my off time, it's different for my situation perhaps in that I love tinkering with old gear and would do what I do for free even if a millionaire - though take a bit more time off from work in also doing my own thing. It's fair enough to get paid for what needs to get done also.

On 8" Fresnels... if asbestos... probably should be priced lower and more so should be kept and re-wired. Collectors from what I can tell like the smaller fixtures. I won a early thru mid-Century Fresnel without other bids. Already had a 6" example of it, kind of got stuck with the 8" version by mistake on my part. Unless re-wired and ready for use, most I would think bypass a 8" Fresnel on the resale market.

Unless you can cerify the 8" fixure is safe and ready to use, I doubt any customers would be on the market for an as - is fixture. One if not even a bulk of them you can stand by in being re-wired, safe, and ready to go on the other hand I don't believe has been done before and might make a sale. To be safe sell by the one or two of them concept still in that few buyers would want a bulk sale for used gear - even if cheaper. At times I would think your customer is looking for one or two more so as to supplement their inventory. For the 8" Fresnel, a question of as is verses say I would think like in the $35.00 range for a starting price for a re-wired one. Sell a few off and see how fast they go in raising the price for starting bid. This for a re-wired version and only as starting bid, though I might start it higher. Perhaps as an un-wired version starting it at that price otherwse in seeing where the maket takes it. $15.00 thru $25.00 for as is on the 8" Fresnel.

That would be starting costs... On the other hand if you can attribute who wired it up to a specific company in having liability for having cleaned, reserfiaced the bases and re-wired it properly, such a price might be 80% of list price for the fixture. Perhaps 75% of the list price in starting price and still valid. Turn key ready to go is other than value to most antique fixture type and back to the valid use for theater's in needing to pick up a few more concept. Different in concept in sales value and one I don't have experience with buying into. (What I buy needs work and that work I am able to do.)

Wild West in resale, this in balancing re-wiring what you have and having to replace it, verses sending it all somewhere to de-asbestos, than either re-wire or send back to you in your option to resale verse re-wire. Such things are new concepts and considerations.

Here are a couple of photos. (Those are the 8" fresnels in the background)
I finished de-asbestosing them yesterday evening and took the bagged asbestos over to the hazardous waste disposal facility today.

proxy.php

proxy.php

A quick side note: they have bryant brand sockets in them.

I too greatly enjoy tinkering, however the amount of work that I do on a typical basis goes so far beyond the required that is just not worth adding this. Ship please bare in mind that I am student and am only paid a little per show.

I don't recognize the 6" Fresnels, but the three holes for three asbestos leads dates them no earlier than 1960 and no later than probably 1975. Yes, they will need much work, but when complete, would be comparable to the Altman 65Q, MSRP $150. Sadly, anyone who could afford the fixtures probably doesn't have the knowledge of how to rewire them properly. Keep the best one for posterity, and scrap the rest. (Save the lenses, you never know.)

Ok, what I said about companies doing asbestos abatement as simple might be controversial.

Let me explain in not having read replies yet but thought about it some on the process of how I would go about it in bulk. No, this isn’t a just standard re-wiring type of thing, but simple enough in principle. Hazmat suite and quality breathing mask by the person working on the gear and Visqueen tent around the work table this is done at.

Tent sealed about a small draped and sealed tent area and no extraneous gear about the work table. One HPA rated vacuum cleaner sucking air out of the tent from the bottom of the tent, air comes in from the top. Asbestos is a gravity thing. Plastic bags for what is required to snip in what wires are needed. Plug for the fixture is gone also. At the base and strain relief that base coming apart and clipped to where the copper wire is within a terminal or crimp is required in removing all asbestos from the fixture.

A vaccume, air hose blower scraper, Heyco pliers, a few screw drivers and other tools are required to be within the tent. Vaccume hose within the tent so as to both suck up what’s removed and clean up afterwards. Scraper to scrape up the asbestos insulation under the lampholder or other places, and various other tools so as to access and scrape the fixture. Entire fixture needs to be scraped, cleaned and blown off so as to remove the asbestos. This even cleaned some so paper towel and a general purpose cleaner are needed also.

In all overall this is really simple to do - though should be done on the professional level - those experienced with old gear. From the military I have experience with donning and clearing my gas mask, it’s the same concept with a properly fitted mask from a hazmat suite as another concept.

Still though, once geared up for such an operation, one has a cost to properly dispose of the tent, suite, filters and bags full of asbestos. One can estimate how much time it will also take in labor costs. Beyond that the company profit margin, I still think in bulk feasible to be done by many lighting companies or scenic suppliers for volume type removal. This also assuming only the most experienced with older gear would be doing so and the project and help needed to get it done would require work... once clean, these fixtures are clean of asbestos and can be serviced further.

Gonna take X amount of dollars to properly dispose of and replace older asbestos fixtures. Be it from a supplier removing the asbestos, or the customer in re-wiring the fixtures - that’s the easy part. I think it cheaper to re-wire, nothing wrong with the fixture, or often enough easy enough to fix especially if in bulk in being cheaper than new. One also learns some about older gear in doing so.

Rather than replace, I would present the concept of removal, cleaning and than discuss them or you re-wiring and service calling the fixtures as will be the next step. As per the above, even if Texas Scenic or others turn you down initially, given the above concept is safe and can be done properly, just a question of running the numbers for doing so verses buying new gear and also having to properly dispose of the old gear. Above is how I would deal with it at least.

Following the reading of the above post.. As a student, you cannot be doing this sort of work. Sorry but not beyond your pay grade, beyond your ability to do so. Your even involvement in taking care of this problem is problematic. No matter what your sikill level, student changes everything in requiring verses doing anything.

Tom,

Is that the original paint job on those fresnels or did someone paint them black? Seeing the reddish pink color on the inside of the knobs makes me wonder if they aren't old Mole Richardson Fresnels

My simplistic stepwise approach to an answer. Are they classic, antique or the only Fresnels the theater has in that size? If yes to any of those, can the theater afford to send them out for Asbestos removal. If yes, is the cost to rehabilitate them (your labor = $0.00 per hour?) less than the cost of replacement? If yes, proceed. If no, remove as much of the Asbestos tail as you can, save the lens, misc. hardware and send the remainder to the scrap metal processor.

Could the 6", with the sliding know for focus, be a Times Square fixture?

Tom,

Is that the original paint job on those fresnels or did someone paint them black? Seeing the reddish pink color on the inside of the knobs makes me wonder if they aren't old Mole Richardson Fresnels

I think someone painted them black because one is a grayish color. I don't see any thing to indicate that they were ever painted red. however the 8" fresnels look like they came out of a tv studio, so that might be a fair guess because I think they came with them.

Following the reading of the above post.. As a student, you cannot be doing this sort of work. Sorry but not beyond your pay grade, beyond your ability to do so. Your even involvement in taking care of this problem is problematic. No matter what your sikill level, student changes everything in requiring verses doing anything.

Mr Ship, are you saying that scraping asbestos off of the inside is beyond my skill level. Or that I don't posses the skills to remove asbestos tales and rewire the fixture. I wish that you would please elaborate.

For the record there isn't any asbestos insulation in the interior other than what was on the wires, I checked. In the 8" fresnels the interior was actual a more modern looking high temp wire that was some how attached to the asbestos leads and and the joint was then covered in heat shrink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

Hmm, that's also a big old "K" on the back of the bigger 8" ones - that with the stencil paint at least on the 8" I would think them origional paint. I don't think the are Mole Richardson - different rear vents. Could be some Mole knobs mixed in with the extras - do seem to be a different shape. Wouldn't hurt the cost and Mole Maroon overspray on the back of a knob woldn't really effect resale value I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back