What would you call this style fixture?

Ah yes, but that begs the question: "Is it a fixture or a lantern?"

Bill: Did you mean *our* wiki entry for cyc, or "the Wikipedia article for cyclorama"?

To me, a cyc is the curtain or wall visible at the back of a stage, whether it's a cyclorama curtain, or a "hard cyc" with a curved foot meeting the floor, both generally on a TV stage rather than legit.
Yes - CB's wiki. I understand your view, but disagree. A cyclorama is curved at least in plan, and sometimes in section. Its in the origin of the word. Google - or use a dictionary - cyclorama. Cycle and panorama.

What goes around comes around. As I said above, I'll loose. I understand language evolves but by making the term cyclorama less specific I think something is lost. How is someone starting out going to even be aware of the difference, uniqueness, and tradition of a true cyclorama if the last flatbdrop upstage always called a cyc?

it should be noted that Cyclorama may also be a work of art, often of battle scenes. usually designed for a specific building.
Such as the 400' x 50' Battle of Gettysburg Cyclorama. or
proxy.php

rather the building was designed for and around the art work

Last edited:
Wasn't it so much easier when we called everything in the world a Leko or a Fresnel? ;)

PS: @venuetech , I saw the Battle of Gettysburg Cyclorama firsthand. Wow, what a unique artwork!

And I believe the referenced cyclorama is curved, not straight. ( Sketch with round building kind of gives this away.) A panorama can be straight or flat, but a cyclorama is curved, to create a surround. I've worked in a couple of theaters with cycloramas and the sense of surround and space is much better than a flat sky drop and masking. The do have limitations and are more suitable to naturalism, and hence one of the theaters has had it removed.

The never ending language battle rages on, has been for a long time. Did you know that the vehicle called a bus is a slang word for "omnibus" , the shouted word "phone" means someone has a telephone call, but I rather doubt if anyone ever shortened telegram to gram.
"Yes Mr. Quixote, that windmill IS in tatters, BUT it is still standing" Another lost battle at least according to most dictionaries is the "lectern vs podium" issue. Websters and others now say they are synonymous. In this industry they are two different things and you need to know which one is wanted. Thanks to Mr. Connor I now know the difference between cyclorama and sky drop and try to use the right term.
By the way, the next time I need a screen name, I am so going to use "Wiley Quixote".

But again, more of a position than a unique fixture. When I think of a fixture name, things like Scoop, Beam Projector, ERS, Fresnell, and Strip light come to mind. When I think of fixtures in a specific position, Border, Cyc, Xray/Foot light come to mind.
So, you may use a strip light as a boarder light, Cyc light, Foot light, etc. You could use scoops on a Cyc, or fresnels, but the purpose would be a Cyc light.

"Footlight" is a purpose. I can plop a birdie on the ground, or a leko on a foot plate, or a striplight, all or any of them would then be a "footlight", and you could refer to them by that purpose. A striplight in the air or on the ground is a striplight.

Wasn't it so much easier when we called everything in the world a Leko or a Fresnel? ;)

PS: @venuetech , I saw the Battle of Gettysburg Cyclorama firsthand. Wow, what a unique artwork!

Actually Leko was a brand name ( like Kleenex ) it was named for thr two inventors at
Century. Mr Leeman and Mr Kook

Calling a Kliegl ( or Altman, or ... ) Elipsoidal a Leko was in some venues considered bad form.

To expand on that idea, just because I hang a system of par cans or Fresnels on my overstage electrics to do a downlight wash doesn't make them boarderlights.

I would say that any light which lives in the air and stays there could be called a boarder light. But a border light would be something at the edge.

Actually Leko was a brand name ( like Kleenex ) it was named for the two inventors at
Century. Mr Leeman and Mr Kook
Mr. Joseph Levy (and brothers Saul and Irving (watch out for Saul--he was the lawyer)) would disagree.
----
A boarder light, by definition, must pay rent.

Resident Curmudgeon?
:angryoldman:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back