Been doing lighting for 8 years...but I have a serious fear..STILL!

Have you ever dropped a fixture during focus?

• Total voters
When I was in college, we once had the front of a 360 fall out. The scary thing was it was off our 2nd AP, and it was during strike after a show. The hinge bolt on the thing had come out at some point, who knows when, and it had been over audience members since that point. Scary. Fortunately nobody was under it when it fell apart.

Now, of course, how many other lights went up and came down safely over those years, and in the year before and since? Hundreds, if not thousands, more. It's a reasonably isolated incident.

The only thing that bothers me is sliding-tee sidearms. I don't like them, too many things to go wrong. I lit a couple of shows in a space with those in the box booms for the house hang, and both times if a unit didn't want to cooperate easily at focus I'd just omit it, not worth the trouble.

For the record, I HATE sliding side arms. Theres a little bolt at the end to stop it...but still, it seriously bothers me! I am feeling really bad about today though...

Purely for purposes of discussion...
I don't think I'd be happy with a graduate design program where I had to hang lights. Probably not even where I oversaw the hanging of lights. Professional designers don't do that. [Flamesuit on.]

EDIT to address post#15: A design student being LX Shop Supervisor? I hope this is a paid/assistantship position, but I still feel it is a disservice to a design student. One who should be calling the focus, not touching the fixtures or running the board.

Whether I agree with it or not, the graduate assistants at UT were required to ME shows, lead crews, hang and focus lights, and supervise shop hours. I know UW and Northwestern do it the same way (I was going to apply to both programs). Not saying it is right, wrong, best, or anything else, but it is VERY common.

We had a C-Clamp break in half and leave a 6 inch wide and 3 inch deep dent in the stage floor about 6" to the left of the head of the lighting department. Sometimes you can't prevent everything, but you just have to be as safe as possible.

By the way, my best electrician is about 5'2" and weighs about 110lbs soaking wet.

Last edited:
Whether I agree with it or not, the graduate assistants at UT were required to ME shows, lead crews, hang and focus lights, and supervise shop hours. I know UW and Northwestern do it the same way (I was going to apply to both programs). Not saying it is right, wrong, best, or anything else, but it is VERY common.

We had a C-Clamp break in half and leave a 6 inch wide and 3 inch deep dent in the stage floor about 6" to the left of the head of the lighting department. Sometimes you can't prevent everything, but you just have to be as safe as possible.

By the way, my best electrician is about 5'2" and weighs about 110lbs soaking wet.

Thank you...I am very careful. I am 5'2" as well. Maybe im just having a terrible day..I dont know. I just do not want to be told im behind or anything...because of my fear.

I have never dropped a fixture during focus, nor am I afraid of doing so. None of the bolts are loosened enough during focus to feel as if they might get away from me. I did drop a barn door once while trying to change a fresnel lamp in the genie. Smashed the road ld's birdie on a floor plate to smitherines.

I kind-of understand how you feel, though. I'm terrified of dropping a fixture from the cats while hanging. Even though I've hung countless fixtures from multiple catwalks, I always get nervous. Something about that moment when you're holding 15lbs out over space and it's just you keeping it from careening to the ground makes my stomach drop. Imagine how I felt when during the first hang of my first summer gig I had to hang a cat full of 5 and 10 degrees from a 90' cat!

But that doesn't mean I let the fear stop me from hanging. Sure, it makes me afraid to have to hang in the air, but the fact of the matter is that the fixture isn't going to hang itself, and if I want to call myself an electrician I need to be able to hang fixtures in the cats. So I breath and pay special attention to making sure the fixture is bolted securely and that the safety is attached as soon as I feel I can safely do so. Use the fear to make you a better, stronger person and a better, stronger electrician!

Best.

I always think about it, but remember this: if you in anyway consider the situation to be unsafe, don't do it. As for fear, I have had moments where I think what will happen if I were to drop this, but you have to keep reminding yourself that if you take all the precautions, then if something does go wrong, it is not your fault.

For me personally I find that if I can man handle a fixture and swing it around when I'm working with it I am more confident in working with it. If it's something I can barely pick up (the S4 Revolutions I hung today for example) I am slightly more careful with and not as confident until they are tightened up. Mind you they weigh close to 70lbs how we had them equipped. I'm a pretty big guy 6' 1" 190lbs. but I definitely feel better about working with instruments that I don't feel like I'm about to drop, if you're really struggling you won't feel confident.

Consider working out, it sounds insane but you'll feel more confident about handling fixtures when you know you have full control over it.

What I have done out of out of practice definately when there are people below is hook a bunch of safety cables together attach it to the light and the catwalk, then proceed to hang the light after wards I remove my long safety, install a regular and move on. I started doing this when I was working for a local church and every group of lights had this funny hole it had to go through. Also the pipe was recessed in so 98 percent of the lights were on a 12" or more sliding side arm. It would make me a little nervous but knowing the light was safely attached while hanging made me feel much more comfortable. I always told everyone on the crew if you wouldnt feel safe with your momma below you then don't do it. What always made me the most nervous was hanging movers sideways off of the cats especially the large yolks such as x-spots. We had a set of big safety cables made to assist with the hang incase the fixture slipped. We would also tie off a rope and use the rope as an additional safety and a means of lowering the fixture into place so we could attach it to the rail.

I can say, with certainty that the chances of you dropped a fixture during focus are ridiculously remote... But you are probably already aware of this, as you state it is an irrational fear.

The only thing I can recommend you do, is practice. Sounds silly, no? But spend an hour mucking around with a single light. Focus it, refocus it, and focus it again. Side yoke it, run the barrel a dozen times, do everything you can to it. Being sure to loosen and tighten everything on the fixture every time.

It probably won't fix the issue, but if nothing else, it will instill a certain confidence level... And you can talk yourself through it in the future with "Remember, I've done this x times perfectly"

And now for something completely different....

I think its time for you to go see a therapist. Give a call to the campus health clinic and go talk to someone, it should not cost you anything. Having an unwarranted fear that is keep you from doing your job is way beyond just a healthy respect for safety.... and really looks like a mental issue

If you can't get over it, I would probably suggest looking for a desk job. Unless you want to stay in academia, even with an MFA your still going to be touching fixtures if you want to eat. The only people who are white gloved in this industry are teaching and the people at the very top.

And now for something completely different....

I think its time for you to go see a therapist. Give a call to the campus health clinic and go talk to someone, it should not cost you anything. Having an unwarranted fear that is keep you from doing your job is way beyond just a healthy respect for safety.... and really looks like a mental issue

If you can't get over it, I would probably suggest looking for a desk job. Unless you want to stay in academia, even with an MFA your still going to be touching fixtures if you want to eat. The only people who are white gloved in this industry are teaching and the people at the very top.

Footer, Thank you for your advice. But I would like to make it clear that I would never give up my job for a desk job. I might be afraid at times, but I still do it. Ive hung hundreds of lights, but its just a fear that I have. I can see from reading back that a lot of people have the same type of fear. I feel better now knowing that im not the only one. I would not say that my fear is such a stronghold that I would need to give up, because I don't ever give up on something that I love. I do not have a problem touching fixtures, I am just afraid at times, which I can see now that others are too.

I feel better now from reading the poll results and from reading what others have to say. Thank you all!

Unless you want to stay in academia, even with an MFA your still going to be touching fixtures if you want to eat. The only people who are white gloved in this industry are teaching and the people at the very top.

From my experience this is not the case. I am certainly not "at the very top" and I haven't touched a light in at least the last 3-4 years. And yes, we eat. I would consider my income as probably on par with what an average regional designer earns.

Unless by "in this industry" you mean specifically theatrical lighting design (I do regional level theater lighting design, but that is not where I make even 10% of my money).

Last edited:
I can say, with certainty that the chances of you dropped a fixture during focus are ridiculously remote... But you are probably already aware of this, as you state it is an irrational fear.

The only thing I can recommend you do, is practice. Sounds silly, no? But spend an hour mucking around with a single light. Focus it, refocus it, and focus it again. Side yoke it, run the barrel a dozen times, do everything you can to it. Being sure to loosen and tighten everything on the fixture every time.

It probably won't fix the issue, but if nothing else, it will instill a certain confidence level... And you can talk yourself through it in the future with "Remember, I've done this x times perfectly"

Here's some similar advice:

On ground level, take a fixture apart and reassemble it. Even the clamp. Get familiar with the nuts and bolts. Learn the length of your yoke and clamp bolts. Take note of how long the stud is on the focus knob. Now, never assume that your findings will be consistent on every fixture; but you will at least learn the limits and capabilities of your fixtures. Knowing these intimate details will hopefully allow you to gain confidence in the fact that you "have to do quite a bit of turning to completely remove the clamp or yoke bolts". Again, never assume. But knowing what does what, and why and how will gain you more trust in the equipment and yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back