Followspot color choices

Do you use color in your followspots?

• You can put color in a followspot?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: followpost gels

If the followspots you encounter have the same color temperature as your 575W lamps (assuming 3200K), you'll just need the R60. If the spot is an arc source (likely) I'd take R3410 1/8CTO and add as many layers as you need (probably 4--giving you 1/2CTO). Additionally, R3318 1/8MinusGreen (probably one or two layers) can be used the same way and will be beneficial if there are cameras.

BTW Derek, the current tour of "In the Heights" uses a ziploc baggy for one of their followspot frames.

Re: followpost gels

BTW Derek, the current tour of "In the Heights" uses a ziploc baggy for one of their followspot frames.

I spotted that show a few weeks ago. Had an interesting discussion with the electrician. Apparently, Howell has a very specific brand and model of baggie that he likes for a specific look, and they simply couldn't find a comparable gel during tech, no matter how hard they tried. The show has to tour with a ton of them, since they're difficult to find locally and impossible to borrow at the venue.

I spotted that show a few weeks ago. Had an interesting discussion with the electrician. Apparently, Howell has a very specific brand and model of baggie that he likes for a specific look, and they simply couldn't find a comparable gel during tech, no matter how hard they tried. The show has to tour with a ton of them, since they're difficult to find locally and impossible to borrow at the venue.

How is Dawn? I went to school with her but have not seen her in about a year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How is Dawn? I went to school with her but have not seen her in about a year.

She was great to work for. One of those department heads who can get a large show up while still having fun with the locals. She was also just in a generally good mood the whole time.

Although they did just leave Erie the night before, which if you've never worked there before, leaving that venue can put a smile on anyone's face...

She was great to work for. One of those department heads who can get a large show up while still having fun with the locals. She was also just in a generally good mood the whole time.

I thought she seemed pleasant the whole time. And nicer then a few people.

Im designing lights for a church play, and we rented a Lycian Midget follow spot to use in place of their old Altman incandescent follow spot. When the director saw the color temperature of the Lycian (very bluish, as compared to the warmer color of the incandescent light), she was displeased, and insisted we go back to the Altman or correct it somehow. The Altman is in bad shape and needs work before it can be used safely and effectively, so I would like to try to use the Lycian. My first thought was to use a gel to correct the color temperature. I played around with a few yellow and off white colors but I didn't really get the look I wanted. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and/or knows of a specific gel number or color that would do the job.

Really your best bet is to get some color correction gel. You want to get a sheet of CTO, this stands for color temp orange. Keep in mind different manufacturers' gels yield slightly different colors. So this may be something you want to sit down and talk to your director about as far as a specific color temp she is looking for. Im assuming this would be the same color temp as an HPL lamp in a source 4. You can get this from any local lighting shop or production house. Once you get it just cut it to the frame of the gel holder and thats it.

CTO's come in different amounts of correction, usually they're 1/4 CTO, 1/2 CTO, 3/4 CTO, Full CTO. Without getting into too much detail, the lower the fraction, the less correction. Might be wise to buy a sheet in 2-3 different colors so you can play around with the white balance a little more precisely. Maybe you'd need a Full CTO, but you may also find a 1/4 CTO plus a 1/2 CTO.

We have different followspots than you, but when I last took the time to figure precisely what we needed, I took photos during a show to use as a reference for how much correction the spots needed. Then I tossed the photo into my image editing software and ran a few different levels of white balance correction. Result was this photo:
color-temp.JPG

Then I sent the info off to the TD who makes purchasing decision, with this of gels to consider purchasing:
R3409: 1/4 CTO Corrects -1000K (Ex. 4200K to 3200K) (3200K being the color temp of an HPL750 lamp -- 3000K is an HPL575)
R3408: 1/2 CTO Corrects -1700K (Ex. 4900K to 3200K)
R3411: 3/4 CTO Corrects -2300K (Ex. 5500K to 3200K)
R3407: CTO Corrects -2600K (Ex. 5800k to 3200K)

Ended up buying a few different sheets and playing mix and match until I found "the sweet spot".

Thanks Ill look into CTO gel. The Altman takes a 1.5k projector lamp, not sure of specs beyond that. I don't think the director wants a specific look, this is more of a "my little kiddies look blue, they cant be blue!" kinda deal. I dont see a problem personally, but im also not the one paying me.

Last edited:
Thanks Ill look into CTO gel. The lamp it takes is a 1.5k projector lamp, not sure of specs beyond that. I don't think the director wants a specific look, this is more of a "my little kiddies look blue, they cant be blue!" kinda deal. I dont see a problem personally, but im also not the one paying me.

The HID Lycian Midget does NOT take a 1.5kw projector lamp. It takes a 575w MSR lamp which could in theory be found in a projector but not very likely. Specs can be found here:

http://www.lycian.com/Assets/specs pdf/1209 specs.pdf

You may be able to get with the rental company and get them to swap the msr to an msd they have more of a yellow color temp, but you also lose some lumens.

I need to use a spotlight in an upcoming show later this summer, but I want to avoid the bright "ghost white" look it will give the performer from the HMI lamp. What gel(s) can I put in the spotlight to make it more equivalent to an R2 gel in a conventional Source Four 750?

Have you tried putting R02 in the spot? I've done it before but it was a spot with a conventional lamp. Since the color temperature of an HMI is so much higher, maybe try an R03 or even R04 with more saturation. R33 or R35 would give you the same effect but with more pink. It's up to you and the design team which look you're going for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back