Messing with the noobs

Oh and we used to have new people plug in an instrument and when it didn't work (no power), we would tell them to lick the male stage pin, maybe it wasn't making contact. Of course they licked it and plugged it in and it worked (because we turned the circuit on).

Problematic in if it now works one might assume a solution if at some point they don't fully get the joke. Licking a bad plug could make sufficient contact sufficient to make it work for as long as the water on it makes for a decent connection. It's assumed perfectly good plug but shouldn't be in that person perhaps finding a bad plug that shouldn't be plugged in and using it.

This lamp is dim.... Shake it, look at it under lighted magnifying glass, search for the lamp fill kit - as if fiber optic cleaning kit. Not where it should be. Distraction of getting pissed off that someone has your lamp pressure fill it and didn't tell you they were borrowing it.

Go see X in the moving light repair dpt. and see if he has it (acting type of pissed off like way - was going to teach you how to use this thing - hook up to it's fill pinch and after filling it re-welds the glass.) Nope X don't have it, see X your boss in moving lights.... see x in conventional fixtures, see x in productions... etc.

Before such a "customer" leaves, make sure they understand how expensive this cordless fill pinch lamp fill tool cost - It being gone is not making you happy. Get really pissed off about such an expensive cordless tool that you explain for cutting the fill pinch and re-sealing it after the gasses are re-filled. Make sure after they find it that they let me know who had it because I'm going to rip them a new rear for taking it without telling me.

Pissed off about it being gone given how new of technology it is and how expensive it is, was going to teach you about it - a sort of mentour type of thing, but cannot now. Dagnamit - will have educated you some, but someone took it without my permission!

That type of thing makes for a good search by an enthusiastic noob that's looking to learn in also if done correctly meets those people they should in who runs or does what in the company - in a way they will never forget. Best to pre-arrange such tours of the people to know in the company with stock answers and who to go to next in ending with "the grumpy old man of the theater", who is not in on the joke... As said before or above, fun to one extent for one person - and useful in education and or getting to know people, but not sufficient fun unless this person takes it to a second party that's not in on the joke and it makes for a reaction from them. Careful though in such a level you take it - could cause trouble.

Last edited:
in high school, we sent a kid for the skyhook, which he searched for literally all day until we broke down and told him the truth. 2 or 3 weeks later, jokingly, "hey aaron, go get the skyhook, heh heh." he went looking for it AGAIN. three times in one year we got him. it just stopped being fun after a while.

Most every place has some sort of light teasing/hazing if you want to call it that going on with the new people.
Yep, and here it has led to the cancellation of all band programs in one metro county's schools after two graduates of one of their high schools were injured, one fatally, in recent collegiate band hazing incidences with other graduates among the suspects in those incidences. Apparently all band activities are cancelled until the County School Board can review the band programs and assess if hazing takes place or is promoted as acceptable practice.

The issue seems to be that even if you know the limits of what may be acceptable, that may not be true of everyone and some may view acceptance of any form of hazing as any hazing being accepted. If someone else takes it too far, acceptance of lesser incidences can be seen as contributing to that. Just something to think about.

The BMI pocket catalog has some great products on their last page. I like the mosaic paint.

In the theaters I work in, we only use BeamStop, but only in the aerosol cans. BMI used to carry it, but since California banned the propellant, they only make it in pump spray bottles, and it doesn't work as well. You should call to see if they have any left in their warehouse.

Yep, and here it has led to the cancellation of all band programs in one metro county's schools after two graduates of one of their high schools were injured, one fatally, in recent collegiate band hazing incidences with other graduates among the suspects in those incidences. Apparently all band activities are cancelled until the County School Board can review the band programs and assess if hazing takes place or is promoted as acceptable practice.

The issue seems to be that even if you know the limits of what may be acceptable, that may not be true of everyone and some may view acceptance of any form of hazing as any hazing being accepted. If someone else takes it too far, acceptance of lesser incidences can be seen as contributing to that. Just something to think about.

Right. But its going to happen, and in the vast majority of cases, its harmless fun, and everyone realizes it. I find it ironic that the band program was banned due to this, I will put money on their football team had hazing all of one's freshman year and half of the first year on varsity going on, and that no one bothered to do anything about that... If the leadership of the groups in question keep it safe and keep it fun, then things should be fine. If someone cancels a theater program because the new guys get asked to go get things that dont exist, that program was going to be ended this year anyhow, for one reason or another. And if someone takes it too far, punish them and move on, before the school steps in. Or just make it clear where the line is.

Very valid and proper point to present. No matter how much fun or joke - or even control you have over such a thing as even searching for a sky hook - it should never be common practice "hazing". Didn't even do hazing in the 80's when I was in high school. There is and should be no tradition for it.

Sorry if was misunderstood in constantly playing jokes on people or taking advantage of that respect and trust they have with me. I am a very serious person but with a light and helpful teaching way about me. Also almost never loose my patience or cool.

What tricks I might play are at times only and only with them that are up and coming in first gaugaging an appriciation of their efforts and that can gain and fully understand what has been done. There is a certain level of maturity for those I might. Hard to explain such a concept of who proper to or at times do so on - but shouldn't be a practice or without a lot of consideration on the person done to.

Kind of just like with my Wife tonight at work. She didn't hear the call to clean up and go home and asked about it while I was there to a Shop Manager. He said he made the call, I confirmed it, her response was that she didn't hear it. Instanct in her one of the hardest workers in the shop was for a joke. Hand to mouth in duck quacking mimic and a "Baak baak, baak" type talking sound out of my mouth to explain why she didn't hear the call. Was chatting away.

In actuality, my Wife was in another building where the speakers get lost in the room and busy. Still though, given her work effort - it was a perfect opportune joke. Best of the jokes in the above concept are moment of opportunity and very similar in not pre-planning. Spur of the moment and best for those that will in the end know you were giving them a hard time but it was a joke. Know them well enough that such a joke you know won't cause harm. Just to be more clear in the above is absolutely correct in concept.

I think there is a big difference between hazing and joking with somebody. Hazing is designed to humiliate or even cause physical discomfort to a person. This is a problem because it has an escalation property to it where irresponsible people will take it to a point where injuries and even deaths result. Look at the idiots at Florida.
Joking a noob is a practice that does two things, shows a guy how much he has to learn or helps bring a guy into the group. The former types of jokes are usually played on somebody that thinks they know way more than they do and needs to be shown they have more to learn. The latter is done to somebody that shows promise and you just want to play with so he feels more comfortable.
I agree that you have to be careful who you joke with but some people tend to be too sensitive about things sometimes. Hazing should be banned.

I think there is a big difference between hazing and joking with somebody. Hazing is designed to humiliate or even cause physical discomfort to a person. This is a problem because it has an escalation property to it where irresponsible people will take it to a point where injuries and even deaths result. Look at the idiots at Florida.
Joking a noob is a practice that does two things, shows a guy how much he has to learn or helps bring a guy into the group. The former types of jokes are usually played on somebody that thinks they know way more than they do and needs to be shown they have more to learn. The latter is done to somebody that shows promise and you just want to play with so he feels more comfortable.
I agree that you have to be careful who you joke with but some people tend to be too sensitive about things sometimes. Hazing should be banned.

Very well broken down and done. In further question of extensive "joke" to a co-worker that is now such and ready for it.

Where can one do so and or what policy is it hazing or dependant on the up and comer might all want to have for at least beyond as it happens, guidelines for who or when to do so?

You have a very good starting concept and argument, how to sum it up needs more detail in advice to all - and thanks.

This is what I think I was trying to say.

I get what you are trying to say and in the case of someone who thinks they know more than they do there is a purpose to it. However, while I used to think that things like sending people looking for non-existent items was harmless and helped build relationships, as I get older I wonder more and more what type of relationships you actually create when they start with deception and abusing people's trust. It's an approach that needs to be applied carefully.

A bit off the direct topic, but one of my past employers once held a team building event. A day of the entire company together, no barriers, etc. However, the mandatory event was held on a weekend, apparently no one considered that this meant that salaried and commissioned employees received no compensation for attending the it while hourly employees were paid overtime. Because of that the 'team building' event actually created greater division in the company. Based on that and other experiences, I have found that activities planned specifically to build teams can end up creating greater division.

I get what you are trying to say and in the case of someone who thinks they know more than they do there is a purpose to it. However, while I used to think that things like sending people looking for non-existent items was harmless and helped build relationships, as I get older I wonder more and more what type of relationships you actually create when they start with deception and abusing people's trust. It's an approach that needs to be applied carefully.

A bit off the direct topic, but one of my past employers once held a team building event. A day of the entire company together, no barriers, etc. However, the mandatory event was held on a weekend, apparently no one considered that this meant that salaried and commissioned employees received no compensation for attending the it while hourly employees were paid overtime. Because of that the 'team building' event actually created greater division in the company. Based on that and other experiences, I have found that activities planned specifically to build teams can end up creating greater division.

2 things:

1 - I doubt most people will really consider it an abuse of trust to have someone ask them to go get a board stretcher. Especially when everyone laughs, and then buys the dude a beer that night for being a good sport.

2 - No one likes team building events but managers, who get to say they did something to build the team. You could pay everyone triple overtime, and they would not enjoy their experience.

Team building is something that some highly educated person came up with to justify their existance. Usually the only team building it produces is a common dislike for the process.

2 things:

1 - I doubt most people will really consider it an abuse of trust to have someone ask them to go get a board stretcher. Especially when everyone laughs, and then buys the dude a beer that night for being a good sport.

2 - No one likes team building events but managers, who get to say they did something to build the team. You could pay everyone triple overtime, and they would not enjoy their experience.

that's the problem, I know I've done it but it has been to friends and people I really know. When you start doing things even that simple to someone who's background you don't know. You have no idea what they may or may not view as abuse. Kids have self esteem issues and to get laughed at by everybody even if "its just a joke" it might really set off something inside of them because of humiliation from some other school etc. In a high school/early college setting you can't go buy them a beer afterwards.

Like I said the good natured stuff, with someone you know well enough to subject to it can be fun and light hearted. But my time at this high school has shown me you really don't know what is going on in the minds of kids or how they are reading events and actions.

I am a firm believer in having fun at work, kidding each other and the like. I also believe you have to be able to take as well as dish it out. I have worked with guys that loved to pick and play practical jokes, but couldn't take it themselves. I had a guy that wanted to fight because he thought I had done the exact joke he had done to me when I started. The funny thing was, I hadn't pulled the prank but I still made it clear to him that if he wanted to play, then it was going to come back at him.

Got an iPod touch, an EOS or Congo family console connected to wifi, and 50 dollars to spend?

Get the iRFR app and set up some black out cues and strobing effect cues before hand. Sit them down telling them you're going to train them on the board. Get the app ready, telling them you're going to take notes. Have them do a bunch of commands. When they've done all you've asked, tell him to hit update q only. Right when they hit enter, hit go to go to blackout. Look at the screen and say, "well let's try again." The moment they hit a channel to full, hit go and make the lights strobe and chase.

Pretty lengthy, but I enjoy it. Introduces them to the board and the app.

One of my guys is a computer nerd and knows the website for them. Got this think called the Annoyatron which is battery opperated and can be put anywhere from the website. Good stuff - at least better than when he took over my computer and made for pop up windows that were confusing or re-wrote my keyboard for me. Thought we got back on him in taking a tile of his computer screen or something like that. Lots on the computer one can do. Last thing we did was to set a wall timer clock hidden within lots of cables feeding one of my assistant's commputer. Every day (break time) at 3:31PM it would shut off for one minute. Was to drive him crazy in his break time computer shutting off during break. (IT people have been informed of all computer jokes including on me.)

Most jokes I allow between fellow employees in staying out of if at times the idea for but no role in. That's to guys that have worked with me for years and sort of expect it. Confetti cannon blowing up when one turns on his work table power, fan with confette and chulk line dust plugged into their outlet when powering up for the day, heck even a high power fan installed into the packing peanut storage funnel for the shipping lady which is powered up by her computer outlet for her monitor.... turn on the computer, packing peanuts go everywere and hard to shut down.

Jokes can go as they go also. Once sent out a care package of parts packed with popcorn. That was popular for a time as a packing peanut replacement for a while. Bought out every package of popcorn in the vending machine and burned each one of them as for packaging.

Was to be a good joke for packing up a care package, unfortunately the rep. from us opened the box in front of the tour rep.... not good in a serious rear chewing on my part for a good joke but not good in having done so.

What are some creative ways that you guys have tortured your knowledge-lacking light crew noobs? I'm out of ideas and we have a couple of lighting crew noobs coming in this semester. One year we told them that all the gels needed to be washed. Another year we told them to go find us a cord strecher in the shop. Any other ideas?

send them to the local theatrical dealer to pick up a " Luminsuck" - thats that thing that picks up footcandels where you dont want them and deposits them where you meant them to be :) whats even better is if you get the supply house to play along and ask them if they need a medium or large sucker....if they are good runners they will actually call and ask you which one they should get.

embarrasingly, we did this to a runner at the big Theatre here in town years ago...but to flip it back on the Theatre TD we at the supply house prepped a box and stenciled the lumensuck logo and model # on outside and..invoiced the TD. it still sits on his prize shelf ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back