Riding an A-Frame Extension Ladder

No manufacture is going to allow casters to be put on a ladder not designed for it. If you don't get casters when you bought it, you should not put casters on it after the fact.
Actually, the large double-sidded ladder (T7400) is not one if the listed ladders it fits. It's only for the single-sided (PT7400) ladders. Kyle's comment is a good one.

-Fred

Last edited:
Try this. OSHA's A-Z Index Page You have to read multible locations to cover all the proper info. Some is in the industrial codes and others are in the general industry section.

Thank you for posting this link so I didn't have to search it out myself.

United States Dept of Labor said:
Any time a worker is at a height of four feet or more, the worker is at risk and needs to be protected. Fall protection must be provided at four feet in general industry, five feet in maritime and six feet in construction. However, regardless of the fall distance, fall protection must be provided when working over dangerous equipment and machinery.

How many of you who roll around on extended genies or A-Frame Extension Ladders of Doom actually where any form of Fall Arrest?

Someone asked a few pages back what you should use when there is no room for a Genie or a Scaffold. This is a common argument I hear which is often invalid. The 16' version of the Werner Ladder Footer linked to above has a foot print of 42" wide by 120" long... that's 10' long! When you put it on a rolling base it's even bigger. A standard scaffold is 5x7. 16' high or less I believe you only need outriggers if it's over 16' high... and most of us can get bye around 11' or 12'. But on that ladder you are centered in that 10' distance meaning it's often difficult to get right next to a wall or into a corner. With a scaffold you can get all the way into a corner... and unless you are working in a closet less than 5' wide the scaffold will fit.

As for the question of how to get up to the grid in a black box with seats in the way. The safe answer is move the seats before you work. Beyond that I suggest you consult a fall safety expert about how to use an extension ladder safely in your situation.

One additional ladder I came accross when doing research a couple of years ago is this one:
Little Giant SkyScraper Ladder | SkyScraper MXZ Ladder
Available up to 21', they advertise it specifically for working over seating, and on stairs, ramps, and uneven surfaces. This might be useful for FOH lighting access where proper lift/scaffold access isn't possible.

I don't like those ladders. I have some qualms with the design.

Besides the function, and lack of idiot proofing, I fell from this guy once.

....STFU...climb up the ladder and do your job?

If you don't want to hold the house so the instrument can be relamped safely, then have the actors adjust their blocking accordingly or issue refunds (or reschedule the performance for another time).

Safety trumps STFU. Period.

You will NOT see "He STFU and did his job" on my tombstone...

One additional ladder I came accross when doing research a couple of years ago is this one:
Little Giant SkyScraper Ladder | SkyScraper MXZ Ladder
Available up to 21', they advertise it specifically for working over seating, and on stairs, ramps, and uneven surfaces. This might be useful for FOH lighting access where proper lift/scaffold access isn't possible.

I'll take rolling on a-frame extension over one of those any day! We have one of those in our shop and let me tell you about how it doesn't feel safe at all. it seems like a great idea, but if you have never been on one before, you are lucky.

I'll take rolling on a-frame extension over one of those any day! We have one of those in our shop and let me tell you about how it doesn't feel safe at all. it seems like a great idea, but if you have never been on one before, you are lucky.

And now we get into matter of preference. I'll take a little giant any day over a rolling a frame with an extension.

I like the Little Giant, its just heavier than a beached whale.

I like the Little Giant, its just heavier than a beached whale.

I agree that it is heavy. My building just bought a 21 ft Little Giant. I was skeptical but was pleasantly surprised. We bought it to replace lamps in the stairwells. They didn't like my scaffolding I used in the past so this is the solution. Except for being unweldy to set up and get down it works great.

I agree that it is heavy. My building just bought a 21 ft Little Giant. I was skeptical but was pleasantly surprised. We bought it to replace lamps in the stairwells. They didn't like my scaffolding I used in the past so this is the solution. Except for being unweldy to set up and get down it works great.

WAIT.... WAIT.... WAIT!!!!

Your telling me that a product sold on an infomercial is not as good as it say it is!

Now... where did I put that pocket fisherman..... I think its next to my shamWOW!.... Off to the lake I go....

I bought the 21' Werner version of the Little Giant at Lowe's a few months back. VERY handy for places a standard A-Frame won't go, but it's also heavy as all get out. I used it in three different positions the day I bought it for a show I was lighting; the extension ladder, fully extended, made me nervous with the sway in the middle. Love it otherwise and feel it's one of my better investments. Plus, it fits in the back seat of my '01 Crown Vic with one of the rear windows down...

I would never use it as an extension ladder but it is pretty handy as an offset step other than it is heavy.

Just to clarify a bit, there are two types of Little Giant ladder. The first one, that you see advertised on TV, opens out into an extension ladder. In my experience, they are somewhat heavy but quite manageable, and can be extremely useful in getting to difficult to access locations. They do flex a little as an extension ladder, but they do work. A friend of mine did home inspections for a while, and with the Little Giant, he only needed to carry one ladder with him. Yes, it actually does pretty much work as advertised.

The ladder I was referring to earlier is the large double-sided A-frame only version, that will get you up to 21'. It doesn't convert to an extension ladder.

-Fred

You know fredthe that reminds me of another fact. Most A-frame ladders are only meant to be climbed on one side. How many of you follow that? I'll be the first to admit I've disobeyed.

Alex makes a great point. I admit I used to roll around in a genie when I was young, dumb and we had an ancient genie without interlocks. I also used the scary A frame in college. However I would never do either today. I've been educated and it's not worth it.

Again get a rolling scaffold. Depending on the height you don't need outriggers. Depending on the size two people can work up there. I got a big 5x8 deck. It's really stable and we could have three people working on top if we needed too. It disassembles quite small and stores in my plywood rack in the shop. My deluxe one with a trap door in the top deck so you can safely climb the inside and stand on two landings on the way up cost about $1200.

My use of statistics above have been questioned via PM:

I was taught in a rigging class about a year ago. In falls above 6': Less than 10% walk away, a little over 50% die, and about 20% are paralyzed. Leaving around 20% with a serious but not life altering injury. I have no idea where that data comes from.

In another thread, Whatrigger? says that 80% of all falls REPORTED to OSHA from above 6' are fatal.

Clearly 6' is the magic height and a lot of people are going to die. But the exact number is a little unclear. If anyone has some free time it would be interesting to try to track down the actual statistics.

Hey gang!

My information comes from California OSHA direct, as a part of my training as a Fall Protection Competent Person. Long story short, that means I am certified to make the call on a job site as to what kind of fall protection and or anchors need to be used and/or not used. By law, anyone on any of my job sites has to follow my directives (althought strangely, i have no power to fine/cite/otherwise punish people who don't follow what i say...go figure. I never wanted to be a cop anyway.). I'm up shortly for re-cert, so whatever new info I find out I'll let you know when I get it.

Rock/roll!

Having worked in the northeast and Vegas, I have experienced two different worlds, which can basically be summed up as The Haves and The Have-Nots. Fortunately, out here when a situation calls for a boom-lift, we can often get a boom lift. I haven't even seen an extension A-frame out here.

I worked several years on an extension A-frame back east, and have always been sketched out by them, but worked anyway. And have moved while aloft on ladders, scaffolding, AND one-man genie-type lifts. Unfortunately, it took a friend's fall to wake me up to the fault of "doing things the way we've always done it". Please don't wait until someone you know, or yourself, to be injured, to start doing things the safe way. I promise you, the world will not end if you can't get all of the lights focused in the allotted time because you did it safely.

And Bill, I am also surprised that you would actually recommend to modify safety equipment. What happens when someone uses the 'piano casters on outriggers' idea on a stage that isn't perfectly level? The lift could easily drift now, and, roll into a trap, the pit, or some other hole. It only takes a small moment of distraction for something like that to happen (similar to this that was in the news recently: ).

Addressing other comments:
For difficult FOH positions without catwalks, there are also focus chairs with fall-arrest safety lines/harnesses. This may be a less expensive and safer alternative.

And for the 16' blackbox person, a 16' fiberglass a-frame ladder should do you just fine for your situation.

Overall: safety should ALWAYS be the priority. Unfortunately for most of the safety-conscious people in this industry, they became that way because of a horrible accident to themselves or someone they knew. Don't wait for that to happen to you to start favoring the safe side of things.

First of all, I did not recommend it. I stated it is what we do in a particular venue that I work in. Perhaps I failed to mention the trim height of the electrics is 13'6". I feel quite confident with what we're doing in our situation.

As for witnessing accidents, when I was working the load-in for "On the Town" with Phillis Newman and Bernadette Peters at the Imperial Theatre in NY, a member of the Electrics crew fell from the grid, a distance of about 70'. He landed only a few feet away from me. That was back in 1971 I believe and since then I've seen other fatal accidents. Safety is paramount in my book.

I watched from a front of house catwalk as a stage tech came down an A frame, jumped the last 3 feet to the ground (It was on a dolly) The jump gave it enough of a push that it rolled into a deep orchestra pit where it smashed a Steinway grand to bits! THATS how you persuade management to get rid of the A frame!!!

As a regular tech i hate them. I've used them on infinite occassions but the rule I use is if it feels out of control by me... I dont use it ie: the center sways more than acceptable if it is moved. luckily i only deal with powered lifts atm. I'd suggest the safe rule... if you arent feeling safe doing it... dont. If a senior tech or someone else does thats great for them but you should never feel you need to put your self in danger to complete a job...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back