"S4s are old..."

"In my opinion, the Source four zoom is one of the most unwieldy instruments that we have in our inventory. They are huge and heavy. If you want to hang them on an electric over the stage you have to totally adjust trim heights for sight lines which often throws off other units.
They were purchased before my time at the theatre because at the time they were the only instrument that had a 15˚ beam angle."

Agreed about the 15/30 unit. Both the ETC and Altman units are huge beasts. The 25/50 is not as long and much easier to deal with, even with a C/F extender.

"If you set one up with perfectly clean optics and a brand new lamp next to a fixed focus unit the fixed focus will win for intensity any day. We just purchased a bunch of 14˚ lenses and they out shoot the zooms. (I was going to say "like it's their job" but it is!)"

Haven't seen that. I use fixed units in my coves, with and without gobo's and see just as crisp an image in my zooms as I do out of my coves. NO visiting designer (maybe 20-25 all told) has ever commented - in 3 years of use that the zoom optics don't look the same. Ditto intensity. The 750w unit is as punchy as my 1kw WFL Pars when zoomed out to 50 degrees.

"It is true, the zoom has caught on more in Europe. Seems to me that would have something to do with designers not wanting to do math. "

This is incorrect and an opinion without any basis in fact.

What is fact is that European companies have been using assorted brands of zooms - ADB, CCT and others, for 30 plus years in many (if not all) of the major performance spaces throughout Europe. I vividly recall the articles detailing the opening of the National Theater in London, what - 25 years or more ago, with it's assortment of CCT zooms. They have been regular fixtures for the same reasons I use them, the ability to maintain a rep hang without excess labor changing lens types - a feature on all those vintage ADB/s and CCT way back when as well.

Part of the reason for such widespread use, and it ain't lazy designers, is that the theaters are heavily funded thru public monies and can afford the more expensive equipment. This is the opposite of the US, where public funding is not at the level common in many Euro companies and you tend to see less extravagant facilities.

In reality, the Euro choice to use zooms is as much a matter as style, where the theaters HAVE the equipment in-house, as opposed to the hire-as-needed US method, where the US designers are forced to use what the shops carry - and that's fixed lens as they are cheaper and easier to rent.

FWIW, I have never had a designer complain about encountering a zoom. Most are perfectly happy with the concept of being able to tailor the beam size to the situation. Even though their tour plot called for 26's and 36's, due to varying conditions in the theater, with different trim heights, having a zoom has always been an advantage - except that it takes a bit longer as they adjust the image to correct size.

"Sure, it's great if you need to line up templates, but you can't get the same crisp imaging out of them."

See above and as stated, I have never had a complaint - well with my older Altman 4.5" zooms - Yes, but the S4's solve that.

"No offense to our ETC friends here, but if you want a zoom instrument pick up the Selecon Pacific Zooms. They are smaller, lighter, and have better optics (in the zoom category, I actually have never worked with the fixed focus Selecons). They handle image projection better, and they tend not to cook gel, as they are designed not to.
Look at the Prices below (From BMI):
ETC 15/30 - $462.90
Selecon 14/35 - $509
ETC Fixed w/ 19˚, 26˚ & 36˚ - $465"

I would love to have the Selecons, but desire continuity in the inventory in terms of parts, lamps and learning curve for the crew using them.

"Also, you have spare lens tubes and you don't have to mess around with big clunky instruments. "

Swapping lenses is disadvantage in a rep house when paying union labor. I also do not need to be paying the crew to be learning the in's and out's of lens swapping. They do that everyday in the industry and even though I'm at a college - the road house does not use student labor and it is not a paid learning experience.

Bottom line on all this is I believe that there is a stigma to using and owning zooms in this country that I never really understood. Certainly each and every facility is different and should purchase what works for them. Folks should also keep an open mind about the equipment they use.

As a closing, do you remember the good old days of fixed lenses on Intellibeams ?. The Cyberlight images out of the zoom lens were not quite as crisp, yet folks still used them (for a lot of other reasons as well). The manufacturers have since learned how to incorporate zoom optics in every ML in use and you would be hard pressed to find a moving head ML with a fixed lens (outside of a Studio Spot).

SB

No offense to our ETC friends here, but if you want a zoom instrument pick up the Selecon Pacific Zooms. They are smaller, lighter, and have better optics (in the zoom category, I actually have never worked with the fixed focus Selecons). They handle image projection better, and they tend not to cook gel, as they are designed not to.
Look at the Prices below (From BMI):
ETC 15/30 - $462.90
Selecon 14/35 - $509
ETC Fixed w/ 19˚, 26˚ & 36˚ - $465​
Uhm Not quite.
S4 15/30- 21lbs/9.5kgs 29"L x 17.3" H x 9" W
Selecon 14/35- 41lbs/9.9kg 22 7/8's" L x17 3/8" H x 9 7/8" W
Except for length the selecon is in no way smaller or lighter.
http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/S4_Zoom_15_30_vD.pdf
http://www.seleconlight.com/images/stories/files/usa/pacific_1435.pdf

IN the "what it's worth" category, I work at a regional theatre where we own our own stock. So we fall into that European model mentioned. When you re-hang for every show it is a lot easier and faster to work with fixed focus units. For me and my crew it is just as easy to swap a lens as it is to play with the focus on a zoom.

I actually did imaging tests with different units at the end of last season as we were trying to decide if we would go with custom templates or video projection. I started with units that were clean and with new lamps, and the fixed focus always performed better than the zoom.

As an electrician, I just don't like working with zooms. As a designer I can see it is a good tool to have in the bag, but the way that I was taught lighting design, and the way that I practice lighting design I probably wouldn't use them right off the bat.

It's just my opinion. By the same token though, I have never had any designer say they want more zooms. Also, before we invested in the 14˚ lenses, no one ever complained that we said the zooms were "locked at 15˚."

I'm back... Well this thread's been really well covered. But here are a couple more thoughts...

You don't want to light area one with S4's and area two with old Altmans... you'll have a constant battle to try to keep the level consistent across the stage. So as someone said. You need to work the S4's in uniformly, if you can only afford a few use them for specials until you have enough to replace a whole section of lights. For example a friend has a mix of S4's and old Strands in his proscenium theater. He needs to use them all. What he does is use the S4's for the full wash but then uses his old Strands as an alternate color wash from the front or side. Just don't think we have 10 instruments we use from the back of the balcony... I'll buy 2 S4's and put them in and retire 2 old ones. You'll have a very uneven look.

As far as the zooms vs fixed lenses. In a high school theater you typically use the same instruments over and over in the same location. It's rare that a H.S. program has a need to suddenly change the location of a whole bunch of instruments. Most high schools just need a really good rep plot and a collection of spare instruments for specials. As such, I would make purchasing a full inventory of fixed focus instruments your first priority. Once you get a good full wash I would then look at a mix of zooms and fixed focus instruments. Look at where most of your specials come from and get the proper fixed focus instruments to cover those needs then add in some zooms at a mix of about 2 fixed to 1 zoom for your special inventory. Zooms are nice because they allow you to do a little of everything... but they cost so much more. Some careful planning will eliminate the need for many zooms. It's dumb to purchase 6 zooms that you always use at 36 degrees because that's what you always use for specials.

Oh yeah and the EDLT's are brighter, have a crisper focus, and a flatter more even field, than a standard S4. They also cost way to much for you to worry about... let Broadway and Vegas buy the EDLTS.

Last edited:
I'm back... Well this thread's been really well covered. But here are a couple more thoughts...
You don't want to light area one with S4's and area two with old Altmans... you'll have a constant battle to try to keep the level consistent across the stage. So as someone said. You need to work the S4's in uniformly, if you can only afford a few use them for specials until you have enough to replace a whole section of lights. For example a friend has a mix of S4's and old Strands in his proscenium theater. He needs to use them all. What he does is use the S4's for the full wash but then uses his old Strands as an alternate color wash from the front or side. Just don't think we have 10 instruments we use from the back of the balcony... I'll buy 2 S4's and put them in and retire 2 old ones. You'll have a very uneven look.
As far as the zooms vs fixed lenses. In a high school theater you typically use the same instruments over and over in the same location. It's rare that a H.S. program has a need to suddenly change the location of a whole bunch of instruments. Most high schools just need a really good basic rep plot and a collection of spare instruments for specials. As such, I would make purchasing a full inventory of fixed focus instruments your first priority. Once you get a good full wash I would then look at a mix of zooms and fixed focus instruments. Look at where most of your specials come from and get the proper fixed focus instruments to cover those needs then add in some zooms at a mix of 2 fixed to 1 zoom. Zooms are nice because they allow you to do a little of everything... but they cost so much more. Some careful planning will eliminate the need for many zooms. It's dumb to purchase 6 zooms that you always use at 36 degrees because that's what you always use for specials.
Oh yeah and the EDLT's are brighter, have a crisper focus, and a flatter more even field, than a standard S4. They also cost way to much for you to worry about... let Broadway and Vegas buy the EDLTS.

Haha, okay, I get the picture... :oops:

<Must. Not. Think. EDLT. Thoughts.>

Haha, okay, I get the picture... :oops:
<Must. Not. Think. EDLT. Thoughts.>

Don't get me wrong EDLTS are cool. It's just a priority thing. Going back to the previous discussion in this thread about the needs of high end users vs. the educational/community theater, EDLTs are clearly a product that is intended for the high end user. Sure we would all like razor sharp gobos once in a while but how often do you actually need a gobo that sharp? If you're in a trade show and you are using a gobo to project your business logo... you need an EDLT. If you are in Vegas/Broadway and have a specific effect that requires and ultra-crisp focus with very even light... you need an EDLT. An educational/community theater show with some leaf gobos that are probably slightly soft focused anyway... you don't need an EDLT... you are better off buying an extra instrument instead.

I personally defeated the urge by adding a half dozen Selecon's to my inventory. Selecon's aren't quite as crisp as the EDLT lens... but they are sharper and flatter than a standard S4. The kicker is that they also have the ability to project home printed color transparencies. Compare the cost of a Selecon with a color transparency holder and a box of transparency sheets from the office supply store to the cost of an S4 with an EDLT, an Image Pro, and a couple I-pro refill kits. It's not even close.

So, do YOU need Selecons instead of EDLTS Charc? Probably not... at least not yet. Going back to my age old rant. Get a good full wash of ERS, Fresnels, and PARs first. Second have a nice inventory of conventional equipment left over to add a variety of specials for your shows. Then you can start thinking about things like movers, rotators, I-pros, EDLTS, Selecons, Seachangers, scrollers, etc...

. As a designer I can see it is a good tool to have in the bag, but the way that I was taught lighting design, ."

In my best Alec Guinness voice "Alex, you must go with me to Brooklyn if you're to learn the ways of the zoom". (grin)

SB

Last edited:
Sorry to respond on comments made several days ago. :oops:
We spent Labor Day weekend hiking Clifty Falls in beautiful Madison Indiana. I really should have been home watching the Controlbooth instead... :)

< is Apollo making lighting instruments, but how might a company like apollo react to the "next big thing" in lighting? Are they thinking forward, thinking of products that might have a place in a new world, of say, LEDs, or new lamp technology? Or do they plan to react to technological advances after they are adopted?>

The design and developement of unique lighting products is what we do best, and planning for the future is the most exciting part of coming into the office each day! You will be seeing several new innovative products soon. Stop by the LDI booth for a hands-on demo.

<Color mixing and digital projectors will practically bankrupt Apollo's Gel and Gobo businesses.>

While digital media and LED's are increasing their acceptance and use within the entertainment lighting field, the need for a simple inexpensive color wash and/or corporate logo will remain the reality. (How many theaters have several hundred compared to several thousand dollars budgeted for 'specials'?)
Apollo has branched into other lighting accessories for the simple reason that a post 9/11 world has proven 'don't place all your eggs in one basket'. Live entertainment, architectural, retail installations, and other markets perform in cycles. Some are tied to others, some aren't. Our plan is to continue growing our base, ensuring stability and market presence for years to come.

< Smaller, more nimble companies like apollo would be more willing to undertake risky product changes. >
It's true that a smaller ship can change course more quickly than a larger ship. The secret is to maintain and grow the product width/breadth while continuing to ply the waters of the industry like a schooner. Any product change can be risky, especially if the market hasn't been guaged properly...

Got to agree with Keith. Gel will not go away until every last 360Q and Source Four in the country is replaced by some future color mixing technology in every no budget community theater and high school... We'll all be dead or retired before that happens.

nope, I only think that I'm clueless in knowing anything about such a concept.

nope, I only think that I'm clueless in knowing anything about such a concept.

It's a "new-ish" lens tube for the S4 line. 19-50 sizes only--better optics/lens coatings/etc.

They were released two years ago, if I remember correctly. I know they were at LDI last year.

~$100 more than the regular tubes.

--Sean

It's a "new-ish" lens tube for the S4 line. 19-50 sizes only--better optics/lens coatings/etc.
They were released two years ago, if I remember correctly. I know they were at LDI last year.
~$100 more than the regular tubes.
--Sean

Yep. Premier Lighting sells the regular tubes for $98 and the EDLTs for $197. I believe they came out in spring or summer of 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back