Conventional Fixtures Replacing ancient Colotran: Used S4 v new S4 Jr?

Nope, they're most likely property of the school district. So it will be up to them to decide if you can throw them away, give them to another school in the district, put them into storage somewhere, or try to sell them.

Sorry... I meant to put '/s' to denote my sarcasm.

S-4 Junior somewhere in past posts I mentioned problems with something like if the lamp balloons or explodes, you have to take the entire fixture apart to get at the lamp. Persay not as important, but could be important if in a rush to change a lamp. Having to take apart the entire S-4 Junior fixture to get at a lamp is a really bad design flaw.

Important question is what beam spread of the fixtures being replaced is? At some point a 575w fixture might not be sufficient in output especially if going long life lamp say 115v I would recommend.

Years ago, I bought some of my favorite fixtures - Altman 3.5Q5 and 65Q fixtures, used from Bash (now owned by and part of PRG.) They were also in perfect condition. Had a 3.5Q out punch a 575w high output S-4 given a HPR lamp... but the HPR is discontinued.

Consider using Altman products in now also using HPL lamps?

If you write up your purcharse order in a correct way "used gear" is not mentioned, it is just lighting gear. If from a proper vendor as the source you list is, the question of new/used should not come up.

That said, generation to generation in lighting companies, and lighting company to lighting company... paint might be good and like new at times, but standards are certainly different. Even where I work, My Wife's standards on resale gear are less than mine. Her gear is safe and in good condition and what she would send on a show... just not to the inspection grade standards I have. Company to company, depends on standards for retailing their used gear and who is in charged of prepping them for resale. Safety could and can be a concern to you - I have certainly gotten some (a lot of) used or rented gear over the years not safe to use, broken, snowballed lamps or in good condition. Asbestos wiring and lamp socket insulators I now have to deal with from used movie industry 5Kw -10Kw lights etc. Granted those are different. Still had to clean cob webs out of PAR's and Leko's at times for fixtures not "prepped" or even looked at amongst many other problems.

Often said, other companies especially on a rental, send us their worst fixturs so we will fix them for them and hopefully not charge in prepping them. That's probably also the case with most companies without standards selling off used gear also.

I would am for sure a Used gear as a fan... wish years ago we bought two more used Lycian 1290's, but be fully sure that such fixtures you get are not going to be ready to plug in and hang. You need to thoroughly inspect them and perhaps fix or replace and or send back. Or perhaps get warranty for. You are putting your neck and skill level out in going around policies set up for idiot proofing a system, but in being the best stewart and doing your job. Not guts, no glory but you are now responsible for a problem with going used.

Jr's have gobo slots, accessory slots, and you can swap the lenses. The lenses are only available in 26, 36, and 50 though.

The lenses on a Junior are not intended to be interchanged like on a Source Four (Senior?).

The gobos are size M, which is annoying.

Optics are better on the full size unit.

Definitely don't get Juniors.

Also, you can definitely change your unison. Everyone's panels are a bit different so it would be better to call ETC and ask them.

They can even edit the processor configuration for you via email if you tell them what you need changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back